Moving house Philippines - Bills, bills, bills (P.3)

For me, the Philippines is odd as it has many contradicting rules.And sometimes that can get me very frustrated.
This seems to occur most ( i think as all countries!) when it comes to billing for ammenties etc.
You do have the option to transfer bills into your name, but.. this can be very difficult dpending on the company and some wont accept foreigners.
Very few if any companies offer online b-pay, which means you have to make the mission through the traffic, and the line at the office to pay a simple bill, then make it home 3 hours after you left!

Tips:
You can ask your Landlord to switch carriers for certain things (cable, phone, internet) to companies who offer online payments like PLDT. Trust me its worth it!

Dont go to pay your bills on "paydays"
People get paid on the 15th and 30th of every month. ATM's, bill payments and grocerys are nightmares on these days. Dont be surprised to wait 20 mins in line just for the ATM!

If you have an installer or maintence coming to your home - be there and watch over them.
Not meaning they would steal something! but it is common for them to do a half-assed job or not do it properly if you dont check it. The you have to call them back and wait forever to get them,so always take the time to clearly show, instruct, overlook and approve their work before they go.
Seriously, never assume common sense.

Almost anything you pay for, you have to go the "their bank" which could be anywhere.
Car payments, cable,phone, internet, ebay shopping, will take a full day going to each of their indiviual banks and doing a manual deposit. Whenever you can arrange payments in advance, or personally speak to the person to setup other plans.

Very few banks will accept foreigners for an account,and this causes problems too - if you are using your home account this could be costing you big time! I am lucky I have a Pinoy husband so eastwest allowed us, but my sister told me HSBC accept foreigners.

Im sure other could add which banks accept foreigners?

I was there for a year in '07. I got an account with Chinabank. Depositing and withdrawing money used to drive me up the wall. Such prehistoric systems and Soooo slowww. Just syarted to get used to it, then had to leave for home.

Allanna wrote:

I was there for a year in '07. I got an account with Chinabank. Depositing and withdrawing money used to drive me up the wall. Such prehistoric systems and Soooo slowww. Just syarted to get used to it, then had to leave for home.

Thanks for sharing! its hard enough living in a foreign country - but knowing the tricks & tips are soo useful! wish id looked here years ago lol!

Another option for bank accounts, I am using Mastercard International pre-paid card at the moment. The best thing is there is no transfer fees and use it just as a normal credit/ debit card. Im not sure what other countries it offers to, but Australia is one of them. This worked out to be so much cheaper on transferring money.

try BPI, if u have an ACR its not a problem, you can even pay your  bills online. You can easily enroll online banking unlike BDO that took ages before they approve.

ishar18 wrote:

try BPI, if u have an ACR its not a problem, you can even pay your  bills online. You can easily enroll online banking unlike BDO that took ages before they approve.

Yes, I found BDO wouldn't accept me as a foreigner. Most important thing (I forgot to mention) is get yourself an ACR card from Immigration. This makes life alot easier in getting bank accounts and utilities in your name.

morefuninthephilippines wrote:

For me, the Philippines is odd as it has many contradicting rules.And sometimes that can get me very frustrated.
This seems to occur most ( i think as all countries!) when it comes to billing for ammenties etc.
You do have the option to transfer bills into your name, but.. this can be very difficult dpending on the company and some wont accept foreigners.
Very few if any companies offer online b-pay, which means you have to make the mission through the traffic, and the line at the office to pay a simple bill, then make it home 3 hours after you left!

Tips:
You can ask your Landlord to switch carriers for certain things (cable, phone, internet) to companies who offer online payments like PLDT. Trust me its worth it!

Dont go to pay your bills on "paydays"
People get paid on the 15th and 30th of every month. ATM's, bill payments and grocerys are nightmares on these days. Dont be surprised to wait 20 mins in line just for the ATM!

If you have an installer or maintence coming to your home - be there and watch over them.
Not meaning they would steal something! but it is common for them to do a half-assed job or not do it properly if you dont check it. The you have to call them back and wait forever to get them,so always take the time to clearly show, instruct, overlook and approve their work before they go.
Seriously, never assume common sense.

Almost anything you pay for, you have to go the "their bank" which could be anywhere.
Car payments, cable,phone, internet, ebay shopping, will take a full day going to each of their indiviual banks and doing a manual deposit. Whenever you can arrange payments in advance, or personally speak to the person to setup other plans.

Very few banks will accept foreigners for an account,and this causes problems too - if you are using your home account this could be costing you big time! I am lucky I have a Pinoy husband so eastwest allowed us, but my sister told me HSBC accept foreigners.

Im sure other could add which banks accept foreigners?

To open a bank account as a foreigner you just need to have the ACR card and Visa on your passport which proves that you will stay here for longer than just a holiday.

If you have, any bank will open an account for you.

Any other feedback guys on something I may have missed?

Hi, what is an "ACR: card?

hi pete   -google is a great way to find out things   http://www.foreignerinphilippines.com/2 … i-need-it/

Thanks for that