Moving to the Philippines

Hello to all,

I am a British national living in Cambodia, I have been here since Feb 2012 and now wish to move on to greener pastures.

I want to move to Cebu, this seems to be as good a place to live in the Philippines as any other city?

After some research I have seen that there are 3/6/12 month VISAS for the Philippines? The Philippines embassy in Phnom Penh offers a 3 month VISA for $30 and not 6 or 12 month VISAS.

It it a good idea for me to buy the 3 month VISA then renew every 2 months when in Cebu instead of entering on a free VISA?

I will need to rent an apartment in Cebu, is it the standard 1 month deposit and 1 month rent in advance? Can I have a 3 or 6 month contract?

And I believe I will need an ACR-1 card to open a bank account, is this the case? I will need a bank account with a debit card and how much money do I need to open a bank account there?

Thank you in advance.

hi ,your research has lead you wrong there are no visa that allow you stay over 2 months  /59 day visa ,if you were staying in manila then there is a visa extension you can get after initial stay but it costs as much as 3x2 month,to enter you will need to have a return ticket or onward ticket within the visa validity .i would say no problem to rent 6 months or even longer   ,you can send me a pm if any further questions.

Anti money laundering laws makes it near impossible to open a bank account. I tried to open one with BPI using my ACR-1 visitors. Card. They refused me. I think you can just keep trying different banks, you might get lucky. I read that if you can open an account with a Philippines bank in your home country, then it becomes easier. Then u can simply transfer money.

Munchie wrote:

Anti money laundering laws makes it near impossible to open a bank account. I tried to open one with BPI using my ACR-1 visitors. Card. They refused me. I think you can just keep trying different banks, you might get lucky. I read that if you can open an account with a Philippines bank in your home country, then it becomes easier. Then u can simply transfer money.

I can't imaginge why it would be difficult to open an account at most any bank as most banks in fact require you to have the ACR card to open the account.
Opening an account overseas will work, yes. Just stay away from Philippine National Bank. Horrible service, time consuming to deal with when here in the islands, much of the time they are offline and can not do business and the list goes on.
China Bank is good as is BPI. However, most require that ACR unless opening a peso acct...

You are wrong as with the SRRV one you most certainly can.Not cheap but good. To open a account in the Phil you must get verification of a bank a/c of your country of origin and then no problems.

ken-if you are referring to my previous post  -then i was talking about tourist visa   as op had mentioned there were visas for  3 and 6 months   =which there are not  .

The SSRV would be and excellent route to go if you ever wanted to slip away from your wife in the night. No hassles with divorce.  I still think 13a is the way to go if you are married to a Filipina.

Just my experience neighbor. I had all that from ANZ Bank in Townsville. Went to ANZ Bank in Makati to open a peso account, and was told sorry, come back when you have 13a visa and permanent ACR-1 card. My tourist class ACR-1 did not cut the mustard. These anti money laundering laws are new, my bank sticks to them.

Munchie wrote:

Just my experience neighbor. I had all that from ANZ Bank in Townsville. Went to ANZ Bank in Makati to open a peso account, and was told sorry, come back when you have 13a visa and permanent ACR-1 card. My tourist class ACR-1 did not cut the mustard. These anti money laundering laws are new, my bank sticks to them.

G'day Munchi,

I noticed that you used an ANZ bank for your money transfers and was wondering is it easier if you end up living in the Philippines, ie: marry a Filipina?

Haven't approached ANZ as yet, as I wanted to get the necessary info from the 'horses mouth', so to speak.

Cheers

its a hassle free if you open up a business here in cebu. there is a law that gives foreign investor an incentive to stay here in the philippines. this is one way of earning residency here. this is the most viable option that i normally advised to aliens who want to stay here for long.