Exporting and importing from and to India

Has anyone started an export/import business here in India. This is to be something small and primarily for an NGO. 

Is there a limit to how much you can export / import with out completing any formalities?

Licenses, taxes, agents?

Many thanks

According to immigration rules, a work permit for India is synonymous with an employment/business visa.
Expats wishing to work legally in India first need to obtain this valid Indian visa before beginning their job: no separate work permit is needed.

DETAILS
Foreigners can apply for a tourist visa if they are coming to visit friends or for sightseeing.
Tourist visas are generally granted for six months at a timE
Anyone who has an Indian tourist visa must have a two-month gap between visits to India.
So a tourist visa holder can return to India only after two months of leaving the country.

Foreigners are not allowed to work in India while holding a tourist visa. very important .

Work visas for India

Business Visa
Employment Visa

Business visas in India
Business Visas are available for people who wish to explore business opportunities or conduct business in India.
This type of visa differs from an Employment Visa,
in that the applicant will not be working for,
and earning an income from, an organisation in India.
Instead they will be working on behalf of a company outside of India.
Business Visas are generally issued with six month validity or more, and provide for multiple entries.
However, holders of a Business Visa are not allowed to remain in India for longer than six months at a time.

Employment visas in India
An Employment Visa, on the other hand, is issued to a foreigner who will be working in India for an organization registered in India. Foreigners wishing to do volunteer work in India also require this category of visa.
An Employment Visa is valid for one year, irrespective of the duration of the contract.

Applying for a visa for India

All foreigners coming to India for employment should apply for a valid Indian visa before they arrive.
You can obtain a visa application form from the Indian Embassy in your country

Documents required for visa applications

►Employment Visa

Proof of employment with a company/organisation in India, such as a contract that states the terms and conditions of appointment.
    In 2010, the Indian Government included a new requirement - visa applicants must be earning 25,000 USD a year or more. Exceptions are made for members of foreign high commissions and embassies.

►Business Visa

A letter from the organization they intend to do business with, stating the nature of business, duration of stay, places to be visited and the employer's intention to meet expenses.

►Tourist Visa

Passport with a minimum six-month validity
    Recent passport-size photographs
    Details of your itinerary

You can expect to get your Indian visa in between five and seven working days.

In addition to the above, each category of visa requires additional documents.
►Business Visa

Letter from the person or firm in India with whom you intend to do business with, indicating type of business, volume of business in the current year, etc.
    Contract or assignment letter from the company
    Bank statements showing assured financial standing
    Copy of Bill of Lading or invoices

Visa is valid for 6 months AND NOT 1 MONTH.GET UR FACTS RIGHT

YOU CAN OBTAIN A VISA APPLICATION FORM FROM THE INDIAN EMBASSY IN YOUR COUNTRY .

I am based in Mumbai and would like to join hands with a reliable expat partner for setting up business of any nature in India which is legal and viable on mutually agreed terms. Interested people may pl. contact with their location and requirements.- Regards-Naval

My question isn't about visa's. That I already know. But thank you for telling everyone else.
My question is about importing / exporting for an newly started NGO. What are the in's and out's. I am aware of the license.But are agents required at the port of authority eve just for a very small box.

Smaller consignments if imported through a courier co. will be door delivered to you and you don't need an agent if every thing is legal. If you are importing it through Air / Sea you will need an agent as it will not be feasible for you to visit the customs for clearance of consignment as such Indian Customs are known for harassing people.

I have been reading the posts written by you all.
First, you as a foreigner can not get into any business activity without a valid work permit for the transactions resulting in earning money.
Secondly , a member of an NGO can not engage in any commercial activity outside the perview of the NGO domain.
Third, setting up a business or establishing yourself in gainful employment need to be discussed with a top consultant and a forum is just tpo get an idea. Never leading to practical results.
Still, if you want more clarifications then you could write to neilcarrey@hotmail.com
Cheers

Ya i guess all those things have to be worked out before

dearest  good news for me  exporting and importing  from and to india in iwant new diamonds business at ;jodhpur .rajathan -342001. but i not expat in his business all tips sends me.tnx