Irish guy newly arrived in Shanghai

Hi Guys.

I am a new arrival in Shanghai where I will be based in the Xihui District as a TEFL/ESL Teacher for the coming academic year. I just arrived here today (Aug 21st).

While I am no stranger to China and Chinese life, having given the last school year working and living in Suzhou, I know little or no one here in Shanghai. I also have no idea how to find my way about. Just walking from my hotel to find a shop where i could buy some noodles for my tea tonight proved a challenge.

I hope I can find other Irish or Western folks on here that are willing to help me find my feet and generally be a friend etc.

Feeling rather lonely and isolated right now.

All responses greatly appreciated.

Cathal

Come on!you don't need to feel lonely and isolated at all.There are so many expatriates here in Shanghai.And you can find friends easy here in this forum.
I live in Xuhui,too.And maybe I can spend some holiday time to hang out with you if you like.
You can have much fun here.So enjoy it!

Berry

Hi Berry.

It is gonna take some time but I think I am settling in slowly but surely. I have a lovely apartment. I am finally sorted with internet again, and have made some new friends. We in fact went out for a meal and drinks last night. I am gradually finding my feet. It just takes time to feel comfortable in a new place, but I will be fine.

Perhaps we can meet and hang out down the line. Keep in touch.

Where do all the expats hang out in Xuhui? I am about 10 minutes walk from Shanghai South Station.

Can anyone tell me where to find a decent bar where I can meet other like minded expats to befriend?

Cathal81 wrote:

Hi Berry.

It is gonna take some time but I think I am settling in slowly but surely. I have a lovely apartment. I am finally sorted with internet again, and have made some new friends. We in fact went out for a meal and drinks last night. I am gradually finding my feet. It just takes time to feel comfortable in a new place, but I will be fine.

Perhaps we can meet and hang out down the line. Keep in touch.

Cool,keep in touch.;)

Berry

Hi Cathal

My husband and I arrived this morning in Shanghai. Peter is Irish from Dublin and I'm English.

We are on the look out for new friends (doesn't it feel like the being back at school??) so if you know of any good cheap bars and fancy a beer and a chat let us know.

Philippa Coates

Hi Philippa,

Welcome to Shanghai. I am new to Shanghai myself, having just taken up a new teaching role in a Primary School in Xuhui District. I am about 15 minutes walk from Shanghai South Station .

I would love to hook up with another Irish person for coffee/beer or just a chat.

Cathal

Have you been to the expat night at the shanghai brewery yet? We are going to go along tommorow night to see if its any good. We are around every evening though so if tonight or over the weekend would suit you send me a message.

Philippa and Peter

Hi Philippa,

No, I can't say I have been to the Shanghai brewery. To be honest I don't really know my way around Shanghai yet. I have no idea where Shanghai brewery is.

To be honest I have been lucky if I get out once a week as I find going out drinking in Shanghai is even more expensive than Dublin... and we all know how expensive Dublin can be for a night out on the beer.

Well in that case I think we should go tomorrow night, apparently it is reduced price drinks and lots of expats. Send my husband peter an email on [email protected] with your email address as its easier than going through this forum. We will help you figure out directions and we can find out what the craic is!

Philippa and Peter

Tomorrow night I have agreed to meet up with a few work mates etc so that is out for me. Then I am away travelling for the break sadly.

Perhaps we can hook up at a later stage. Sorry!

Not a problem, just give us a shout .

Philippa

Hi guys,

I and my husband recently move back to UK after live for more than 3 year in shanghai,shanghai have a lots of place to go around actually,but u want to find a bar and price is reasonable,there is few,big bamboo bar,marlon bar,windows,some french bar in yan ping road.i hope that can help.
Have fun n shanghai is not bad place to explore.