So, You Want to Move to Bali?

Not surprisingly, that topic comes up on this forum with great frequency.  For certain the idea of living on Bali has mucho appeal, especially for those who have been fortunate to visit this island of the Gods on vacation, and thus have been served a delicious appetizer which only fuels the fire of desire in their belly. 

Having responded to a multitude of posts on the ilk of… “I want to move to Bali, please help”  may I lay out some basics of what to think about before even posting such a question?

Money Matters. 

Bali, and indeed all of Indonesia, is not an entitlement state.  “No money, no honey” is as true here as anywhere else in SE Asia.  A temporary or permanent move to Bali takes a lot of money, and these days, unless you have a regular and reliable source of funds sufficient to support yourself, then file the idea of moving to Bali in the back of your head under the file name “Consider This Later.”

Legal jobs for foreigners on Bali are as rare as two headed macaques.  Unless you have very specialized skills, education and job experience that cannot be found within the available Indonesian work force, you will not, and cannot, be legally be hired.  Moreover, consider that employers of foreigners on Bali must pay US $200.00 a month for work permits for foreign employees, and this is twice the rate for employment on other provinces of Indonesia. 

I'll Work “Under the Table”

Foreigners who are caught working illegally on Bali (and elsewhere in Indonesia) are subject to a fine of $50,000 US,  and up to ten years in our wonderful “Kerobokan Hotel” (Bali's prison) as well as permanent deportation after all that is left of you is a shell. 

The why of that is simple…Bali has a very high unemployment rate and there is an understandable attitude prevailing in Indonesia which is “jobs first for Indonesians.”

Given the high unemployment rate in Bali, immigration and police authorities are very much on the look out for illegal foreign workers on Bali.  Worse yet, that nice expat you just befriended may darn well turn you in for a little reward.   

Get Real.

Frankly I am astonished with the many posts from young folks all over the globe thinking along the lines that a move to Bali is about as simple as changing jobs or moving to a new apartment in their own home country.  Where this thought process comes from totally escapes me, but I assure you, it isn't the case.  Bali is not a part of your country, and Bali is not obligated to serve your every need or desire.  Don't fall into the common trap of thinking that the world famous Balinese hospitality and warmth means that you are welcome to live here. 

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men.

Bali is the ultimate seductress, or better yet, narcotic.  It constantly blows my mind how so many otherwise logical and practical thinking folks come to live here, but are totally clueless about the realities that ultimately face each and every expat.  It's in the air I guess, but good grief, keep a hold on yourself and understand right off that what seems like a wonderful dream can so quickly turn into the worst possible nightmare.  Arrogance and ignorance are the two most common features to be found amongst failed expats…and their lessons are always VERY costly.  Expats on Bali ebb and flow like the tide.  And when they flow, they are usually broke.   

Any chance for a successful move to Bali requires a great deal of homework and logical thought as well as several advance long terms visits.  These long term advance visits are essential to getting to know the island, its people, their culture and what your life here will most likely be like.  As obvious as this sounds, it is often totally ignored and folks just show up with a wonderful smile and a glazed look in their eyes pronouncing, “I'm here.”

Yeah, true enough, you're here, but for how long?

Roy, try to get the administrators to turn this into a sticky. I think it might stop some people posting the same stuff about Bali every day.

Well said, Ubudian.

Just like any other resort island in Southeast Asia countries, Bali always attracts foreigners to live in their fantasy / paradise.

I have noticed that there are many of unskilled foreigners have been taking over jobs that could have been performed by Balinese, nowadays. They don't care what they are doing as long as they can stay there. Many of them ended up taking under the table work / illegal to get cash for food and accommodation just to sustain their life in Bali and disregard the consequences of being illegal workers in Indonesia (Bali in this case).

There are some people thinking that moving to Bali is easy just like move to other city in their homeland, but they have never even been in Bali! Lol! They don't realize that Bali is not always a Paradise.

I am not against foreigners who comes and look for employment in Bali, not at all. But as what has been said by Ubudian, you better file the idea of moving to Bali in the back of your head under the file name “Consider This Later.” if you are not prepared/qualified.

Good post Ubudian. Just the other day I had an email from a young lady who has never been here, but is hell-bent on moving here immediately. She refused to believe me that the bartender job a friend had offered her was most likely illegal work. Unfortunately for her she'll probably have to learn the hard way.

Hey Doc!  It's great to have you on this forum, but your profile is way too modest!

You forgot to add that you have your doctorate in anthropology from Berkeley (but not a true member of the Berkeley mafia :lol:) and that you author two of the best web sites to be found on the internet relating to SE Asia, Indonesia in particular:

http://cyberbali.comhttp://lifeinthetropics.cyberbali.com

Your e-book, The International Teacher is a must read for anyone even thinking about teaching abroad:

http://theinternationalteacher.cyberbali.com/

And another e-book you wrote, The Practicalities of Moving to Bali: A Primer for Life in the Tropics is a must read for anyone even thinking of moving to Bali.

http://theinternationalteacher.cyberbal … an-e-book/

Sorry to loudly blow your horn Doc, but your many long years teaching and writing provides a gold mine of information and highly useful advice.

BTW, you're overdue for lunch ala Eri!

I agree that it should be a sticky, but it won't stop people from asking the same questions over & over again.

But it will be so easy to answer those questions by simply cutting and pasting the URL as the answer.

Thanks Ubudian for the kind comments. And, I hope to be down your way once daughter no. 1 returns to school next week. I hear the traffic is worse than usual during this tourist season.

Yeah, the traffic has been much heavier than "normal" but your Harley can handle that with no problems!  :lol:

Plus points of living in Bali is the vibrant expatriate scene as well as Indonesians willing to sample a better lifestyle. This attracts better service providers than in most other places/areas of Indonesia.

However, the negatives are increased congestion, pollution and higher living costs in the more densely populated parts.

Unfortunately the quality of political leadership, civil servants and public service providers has generally not kept pace and in some areas sorely trail other places/areas in Indonesia.

If you have qualifications in these areas then I am sure there are ample employment opportunities in Bali - both as a business owner or contractor. As long as you are not an NGO-type or liberal progressive there should be room on the "isle of the Gods' for you.

“Unfortunately the quality of political leadership, civil servants and public service providers has generally not kept pace and in some areas sorely trail other places/areas in Indonesia."

Really?

I guess you haven't heard or read much about our distinguished Governor, I Made Mangku Pastika.  Enter his name on Google and you can learn something.   

It's rather odd that anyone who hasn't lived in Bali would feel qualified to comment about the political leadership, civil servants and public service providers that actually set Bali head and shoulders above many other provinces of Indonesia.  Just ask any Indonesian living on Bali what they think.

“As long as you are not an NGO-type or liberal progressive there should be room on the "isle of the Gods' for you.”

Again…really?

Bali has quite a number of “NGO-types” and “liberal progressives” (both local and expat), and they contribute quite a great deal to the improved way of life to be found here.  Just ask about any Balinese you can find.

Sure that is one thing that a lot of Bali politicians, civil servants and pubic service providers share with their fellow parasite NGO-types and liberal progressives: Don't bite that hand that feeds you.

By the way, I don't have to live on the moon in order to know that it is not made of green cheese.

So, exactly what in your opinion constitutes “parasite NGO-types and liberal progressives?” 

And, any chance of you documenting your earlier comment about Bali:

“Unfortunately the quality of political leadership, civil servants and public service providers has generally not kept pace and in some areas sorely trail other places/areas in Indonesia.”

I've never heard or read anything even remotely like that comment being said of Bali so I am most curious how you formulated such an odd and mistaken opinion.

“I don't have to live on the moon…”

Yes, it's a shame the moon isn't ready for colonization yet.  Some folks are clearly more suited to live there. ;)

NGOs are parasites?  The Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, Save the Children and Oxfam are parasites?

Good question Hailey, but I kind of doubt that any of us will ever read any further clarification or explanation from the poster who made those outlandish comments.

With that in mind, one can only form their own conclusions, which hopefully are obvious.

That's the great thing about outlandish comments made online.  No one ever has to back them up.

"That's the great thing about outlandish comments made online.  No one ever has to back them up."

I don't think I'd call that a "great thing" rather I'd be more inclined to call it a woeful aspect of many forums, like this one. 

But in the end I guess that when the outlandish comments are called to the carpet, and no response is forthcoming, that should be a firm signal to moderators of a troll or spamming and thus time to ban the perp.

In the end, IMHO, who needs these idiots anyway?

Do you think indostocks profile pic is reflective of how he feels about posting on here?

"Do you think indostocks profile pic is reflective of how he feels about posting on here?"

:lol:

Who would have a problem with a mob of bloody people wielding large weapons?

"Who would have a problem with a mob of bloody people wielding large weapons?"

He seems to have gone off the radar, so keep your fingers crossed.

Cheers!

That pretty much killed this topic.  Now no one wants to move to Bali.

"That pretty much killed this topic.  Now no one wants to move to Bali."

No complaints from me!  I didn't move here to be surrounded by westerners...could have stayed in the US for that.  ;)

I moved to the other side of the world and now I mostly work with Australians and Canadians.

“I moved to the other side of the world and now I mostly work with Australians and Canadians.” 

Ah, you mean those other pseudo native English speakers. ;) 

Are you teaching in HK?

Australians might as well speak a different language.

I could never teach.  I entertain the Chinese masses.

Hi Ubudian, very nice post.

I have been in Bali 3 diffferent times and working in one of them. What you wrote is true (I saw some expats with a lot of troubles there). I would like to ask something.

How about to start a business there? The government vision is different or is the same for the expats?

If you have any idea about it, I'm glad to hear you.

Regards from Brazil (but moving again soon ;)

Indonesia is very pro foreign investment and the bureaucracy involved in setting up a foreign investment company is not particularly onerous or complicated.  Most expats that start a business that end up running afoul of the government have usually tried to cut corners in one fashion or another…sloppy book keeping, hiring illegal foreign workers, cheating on taxes, mistreatment of employees, etc.

One particular challenge with setting up a foreign business in Bali is finding that perfect business which isn't already well provided here.  Bali is obviously a highly attractive place and with thousands upon thousands of folks dreaming of living and having their own business here.  For example, there are already more than enough restaurants, bars, art shops, galleries, health spas, boutique type villa rentals, theme parks, etc. to meet demand.  The most successful expat businesses are those with a unique business idea.

At the same time, foreign owned businesses are going to be competing against local owned businesses, and locals are in general far more able to live off of much less profit, have greater patience, and to be able to rely on family to help them through those difficult slow business periods.

Anyway, that's just a few observations I've made over the years.

Cheers, Roy

Hi Ubudian,

Thanks for sharing your words.

Did you know where can I find more infos about it?

Regards

"Did you know where can I find more infos about it?"

Use the links I've already provided in an earlier post on this very string. 

Cheers, Roy

This is in the Jakarta Post today

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013 … pasar.html

Another timely reminder for those who want to try their luck.

Gotta say, thanks a lot for your observation/explanation Mr. Ubudian. It's great to see things from different perspective and interesting how Bali has changed over the years in their job market. All I know for middle class Balinese, it's already hard to find jobs as it is locally.

I'm a lousy Indonesian as I know nothing about Bali - last time I went to Bali was when I was 15 years old, hahah.

Thanks again for the informative posts :)

A good and timely posting Luke.  There is one error in the article though in that the monthly fee in the Province of Bali for working permits for foreigners is now $200.00 a month, not $100.00. 

Businesses and foreign employees can expect a great deal more of these “random checks” in the future, and the idea of paying a “reward” to those who “turn in” violators is taking hold as well.  It's often cheaper to pay a sizable reward than a costly investigation. 

One does not want to get caught up in the government web by not having proper documentation and licenses in place.  The resulting fines can bankrupt a business almost over night.

Dream killer, but wait. what about retirement w ss and some small resources.rent, no oblige simply with filipina, housecleaning, etc

palm springs jon wrote:

Dream killer, but wait. what about retirement w ss and some small resources.rent, no oblige simply with filipina, housecleaning, etc

You think to move to Indonesia or Philippines ?

In your profile you mentioned Ubud in the Philippines.....

LOL Tom!  I noted the same thing and stuck my head out my office window to be sure our flag hadn't changed overnight!   :D

:(:unsure Roy, pls step out your house one more time and check, not that Bali was sold overnight to our neighbor and Tagalog is now the official language

I thought Bali was Australian  Or should be. Roy? Any plans to swap hats for one with dangling corks?   :gloria

HAH!  You two monyet nakal!   :lol:

Ubudian wrote:

HAH!  You two monyet nakal!   :lol:

English please...otherwise William will be marah  :dumbom: