Surprise – We Are Going to Croatia!

We are joining an international team of journalists in September to write about Croatia as a tourist destination. Here is a preview of our upcoming trip.
http://globalexplorerclub.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/dubrovnik.jpg?w=480&h=320

You will enjoy it. The people are friendly and welcoming. Countyside so wonderful from the adriatic to the large swathes of sunflowers in Slavonia. Stay longer next time, try in Zagreb an ideal base to reach all of the country either by plane or car.
Having been here permantly for 8 years and before that visiting since 1992 its GREAT

We actually are interested in staying for several months in Croatia. We would like to rent a modest apartment for six months. Unfortunately, it is difficult to find a place to rent. There is little reliable information available, and what is visible via internet research is very expensive. Without a contact in Croatia (or most any other country), finding a place to stay is extremely difficult.

What part of Croatia do to you plan on staying? Its not normally hard if its on the coast as almost every house you pass will have signs up for rooms or apts for rent. In Sept there is more space available as the summer season is winding down and you can make a deal with the owners for a cheaper price for a long term stay.

We are in Scotland until the end of January at which time we are prepared to move. We will know more about what part(s) of Croatia are most appealing to us after our visit in September. It is encouraging to hear from you that there are many places where one can find rooms to rent, and since we are planning our move in the off-season, perhaps that will make our search easier.

I greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
Mike

You are welcome, I live in the Rijeka area, have been here 11 years now. Its not an easy place to move to but once you have an open mind and dont need to find a job here, then it will be okay.

Hi.
If you have time on your schedule when in Zagreb, pop in for a tea, coffee, beer, whatever for a chat. Perhaps we will be able to help find uou something that would suit you when we know what you are looking for. We are in Brezovica about a 10-15 minuite drive from Arena centre.

Your invitation is much appreciated. I will let you know where we will be and for how long when we arrive in Zagreb the first week in September.

Mike

Hi,

I am near Rijeka and my family is renting an nice smaller app., if you are interested I can get back to you with more details.
Cheers,
Jadranka

I would be interested in details about the apartment. We have not decided when we will move to Croatia. However, we are getting so much great feedback and support that we may wish to choose Croatia as our next move at the end of January.

Thank you very much for the response via this forum!

Cheers,
Mike

Croatia is wonderful for holiday, Try doing an exposé on the corrupt policies of buying property, you may have your eyes opened. An Ex RESIDENT.

As a person who lived in Croatia all I can say is "Are you serious or are you under medical care over mental problems"? Because attempting to live permantlly in Hrvatska you need a bottomless wallet or a very good mental doctor!!!

HI Alan,
They are not moving to Croatia permanently, they are travellers who live 6 months at a time in each country they choose, and they wont be needing a job. So they are not crazy or mental.:)) They are just coming to learn about the culture and promote tourism through their blogs and with Croatia's tourism tv.
Sorry that you did not like it here, not too many foreigners who came at the time i did 11 years ago did like it and left, but now more and more expats are moving here.

Alen, how terrible for you to say such things!

Croatia is a wonderful country - it has it's challenges, yes. But I say if you are not happy here, do something about it.

globalexplorer1 - I am in Zadar, so if you would like any help in that area just ask. You can reach me at chasingthedonkey at gmail dot com.

I also have a blog - so if you would like to be featured, just get in touch,

Wishing you all of the very best!

alan clarke wrote:

As a person who lived in Croatia all I can say is "Are you serious or are you under medical care over mental problems"? Because attempting to live permantlly in Hrvatska you need a bottomless wallet or a very good mental doctor!!!

Perhaps it's time you did something to make yourself happy?

[Moderated: pls send your personal details via a pm]

Lol. I am in Brezovica too. :)
What a small world !!

We ended up in Šibenik in the old town. It has been beautiful and the people have helped us with so much, especially when my wife was sick.  We saved a lot on our monthly budget (about 9,000 kuna/month) so we were able to fit in excursions to Primosten and Bosnia & Herzegovina.  We are also hosting a Christmas party for the locals to thank them for all their kindnesses.  January 3rd we leave for a week in Rome on our way to our next destination country, Spain.  Thanks to all who made our stay in Croatia memorable and fun.  I look forward to returning someday!

I am jealous.  It is so beautiful.  Are you writing for a travel magazine?

Marguerite

I write for two travel sites - BoomerCafe.com (USA monthly) and Grandparents Day Magazine (Australia quarterly), plus occasional articles for Expat Explorer, a travel blog sponsored by HSBC.  However, most of my writing is for my own blog at - sixmonthers.com.