Is it worth visiting Langkawi !

In my recent visit to Malaysia, I shall be spending most of my days in Kualalumpur. I had though that we should go to Langkawi for couple of days, but have feeling after some browsing that there is not much to do for a family in particular. It gives an impression of quite a dull place, not much hustle and bustle. Am I mistaken ! Is spending two days with family would be a good idea or better to cancel and see max of KL ! Please suggest.

langkawi is a nice place for 2-3 days. beaches r great. the cable car is a good experience too. mangrove river ride is good too. the seven wells waterfall is fantastic. there r a bunch of things u can do there. worth a trip i think :-)

yep ,,you are right carlyle

Thanks for sharing your views. Can you recommend a reasonable hotel there !

Even we have planned a four day visit there wid my baby ...hope we enjoy..

Is it advisable to go private or to contact your hotel tour desk and let them arrange trip for you, which way it is better. I have no idea about the hotels in Langkawi, even the booking.com shows some motels in somewhat deserted areas :( , while resorts are too expansive and not my type. I want some kind of hotel, where you have some sense of security and can see some people around atleast. To have some nearby restaurants is also a must, which I doubt there will be any !

Jeeze..here's planning and then there's over planning...just book something and go.

You'll have a hire car anyway so doesn't matter where your hotel is, its not a big island but I always stay somewhere near Pantai Cenang but whether that suits you or not, I have no idea.

Do the sunset cruise, I used Crystal Yacht, book direct with them and make your own way to the jetty. Going through an agent costs double as they pick you up from your hotel.

Is it easily available , the hire car..if you mean taxi by it !

yahonza is right, too much planning will make u miserable. just book a hotel as per ur budget and wallah go! look at hotels or resorts on cenang beach road. livelier atmosphere. u can hire a car for your entire stay in langkawi. just make sure u have an international driving permit. very easy to hire a car and plenty of options.

Agree, but I don't have international driving licence, that's what bothers me most...I have to be totally dependent on local transport, taxis etc about whiCh I don't have much idea. And since I shall be travelling with my family, so am bit extra cautious. Thanks for your input anyways.cheers

Berjaya Resort is a good bet..spent about 4 days there..was really worth it. As far as driving is concerned, i had hired a car ( i dont have an international driving license as well) As long as you are confident to hit the road, hiring a car for 1 day is more than enough to cover the entire island.
Cheers!!

No need for an International Driving licence...you can hire a bike without even having a driving licence.

Never been asked for one in Malaysia either. Well except one time in KL by the cops looking for a bribe so told them it wasn't required enough times till they backed off and left.

Amitv, you mean I should just hire a car ignoring the law of land, ...no a good idea I believe. What if I got stuck. I am a good driver but doesn't mean that I simply rent a car and start driving  :( yes if the rental cars are available with drivers, that can be considered. Thanks for rest of the info and now I have started feeling that I should spend min two days at Langkawi too.

If you have a driver's license for your country, it should suffice in Malaysia.

you mean an international drivers licence is not needed?

If your licence is in English like mine is, having a another paper one with wording in various languages like Spanish, French etc isn't really relevant. The cops here should be able to read English, no?

Amittv, I have Gulg driving licence,it's valid for all gulf countries. I do have UAE driving licence. Am I fine using them here and drive a rental car !!

Who cares, just rent a car...

Rental companies give without ensuring whether I possess the necessary docs or not ! I doubt...

i think you wud still need an intl driving licence

true story - i have international, indian and uae driving licences. when i went to rent out a car in langkawi, i purposely showed my indian and uae licence, just to see what happens. tried 3 places and all said that any licence will do as long as i have a licence to drive a car. they just want to make their money and they are happy that u know how to drive a car :-)

true,,but what happens if you are involved in an accident?

You crash

u crash :-) nice one. u pay for ur medical expenses. even if u have an international permit, u pay. unless u have medical insurance.

Most insurances with vehicle rental companies are so heavily in their favour that you'll end up paying regardless

Hi, You must rent a car or else, Langkawi will be a boring place for you. The alcohol drinks are cheap though, as they are tax-free!

enjoy!

Tee7, you mean no harm in taking the risk, do cops usually check the papers or its only when you make a bang !

Hnsi, don't go, it's too risky. Best to stay at home.

high chance that cops will check your license if you don't look like a malaysian :)

anyway, it doesn't really happen very often :)

Is it a good idea and is it cheaper than hiring a car to take one's own car across from the mainland?

You can get a car rental for as cheap as 60 rm/day at the airport. I and my friends generally prefer flying to langkawi airport and renting a car at the airport.

Do you guys know this thread is almost 10 years old and likely the original posters are long gone?