International School in Shekou

Hi, we are looking to relocate to Shenzhen from Shanghai this summer. Looking for international school for our 4 and 10 year old kids. Chinese language exposure is a must, an emphasis on music program e.g. school orchestra will be a bonus.  We are interested in SIS and QSI. Appreciate any advise on these two schools, open to other recommendations in Shekou.

chingching wrote:

Hi, we are looking to relocate to Shenzhen from Shanghai this summer. Looking for international school for our 4 and 10 year old kids. Chinese language exposure is a must, an emphasis on music program e.g. school orchestra will be a bonus.  We are interested in SIS and QSI. Appreciate any advise on these two schools, open to other recommendations in Shekou.

Hello, we live in Nanshan,near Shekou. Our daughter is older and goes to high school at QSI.  No band yet in high school, middle school band meet after school. SIS has band and nice facilities, however very expensive.If your work paying no problem. Perhaps you need to hear from someone with younger kids. My friend is Kindergarten teacher SIS.  I will help you anyway I can. My husband has sustitute at both,QSI high school and SIS middle school and high school.

Where are you from? We are from Colorado, USA

Best Wishes, Linda

Hello,

I'min disucssion for a position in Shenzhen and looking for data on schools. My children will be 12 and 18 (lats year of high school) next year. We are french.
How old is your daughter ? Is she happy at QSI ? I'm looking more after QSI because SIS will be too expensive for me.

Any advice on housing in the area as well will be welcome.

Thanks

Fred

Hello Fred,

My daughter is 14,(9th grade) she is happy at QSI.  In fact, my husband will probably be taking a job at SIS and she does not want to change schools. QSI has the mastery philosophy, where you keep working on your work and master it getting a B or better. I like that. SIS requires a certain level of proffiency(sp) at English.  At QSI sometimes the lessons are very slow, so everyone understands, but too slow for my daughter.
QSI has has the IB International program for 11th and 12th grade. I think SIS is getting their IB certification this year. They both have AP(Advance placement) classes also for 10-12, I think. No band at high school QSI right now, but good drama.  SIS has band but not as good of a
drama program. Both have sports teams.

We live in Nanshan right now,right next to Shekou, because we can get more apartment for the money. I heard prices are going up. It is still a short(15-20  min) city bus ride to QSI.
I know SIS is building a whole new French campus, I do not know what requirements will be for that.

I think both schools are good.The children are very friendly and welcoming. Either way it's a lot of money in my perspective, but the schools  and jobs in the USA are declining rapidly. This is the place to be!
I hope I helped.

Best Wishes,Linda

oh also there is American International school,(SAIS) new this year. And Nanshan Experimental school, some of the Chinese kids in our complex go there. Their English is very good. They have their lessons in both Chinese and English, Price? Both SIS and QSI have Chinese classes, but I do not think enough emphasis placed on.

ok , I think thats it.

Linda

Thanks a lot Linda for the information. It helps.

Perhap I'll contact you if finally come in Shenzhen;

Fred

Sure,anytime, xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Linda, thanks a lot for your tips. We are from Hong Kong. From the internet there are some comments about the bully and drug problem at QSI, is that what you see? Also heard the campus is at bar area, how about the neighbourhood?

We are looking to stay at the Nanshan area as well. Do you have any reputable property agent to refer?

Hi,

Is that still true about the drug problem with students from QSI?

Br,

Felipe