Moving to Cork

Hi Everyone

I am 42 years of age and will be moving from England to Cork, Ireland over the summer.  Please can anyone advise the best place to live close to the airport and near to schools and the best schools, I have a 9 year old son.  We have been looking at Carrigaline, is this a good place to live? Is the cost of living dramatically more than it is in England? House prices are too dear for us in Douglas, although I have been advised this is also a good place to live.  If anyone can give my any information at all I would be extremely grateful.

Many Thanks

Joanne

Hello Joanne.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Cork forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi, I live in Carrigaline. It is a very pleasant town to live in, never any trouble, and as far as I am aware very little crime, which made a very welcome change from Dublin where I lived before, and a different world to Coventry where I originated. It has a rural feel, but is close to Cork City and numerous shopping centres. It is also close to the sea. My daughters went to the local schools and I found their teachers to be excellent. The main junior school is the St John's Girls' National School which has a Catholic ethos, but being a Catholic isn't compulsory. In Ireland you are in junior school until you are (typically) 12. You then move up to secondary school which is for either 5 or 6 years, depending on whether you do the optional 4th year or not.

The main secondary school, which covers Carrigaline and surrounding areas, is the Carrigaline Community School. It too is good. My eldest finished her education there recently and loved it.

The cheapest houses start at €150k, or of course you can always rent. When you take the exchange rate into consideration the cost of living here is pretty much on a par with England for shop bought produce. Food quality here (meat and the like) is much better. Services - eating out, hair-dressers etc are more expensive though.

Hello!

I am an American expat just recently moved to Monkstown in Cork to be with my Irish husband. If you were ever interested in meeting up or grabbing coffee or tea and discussing life in Cork, I would love to meet up with you!