School for young kids

Hej allesammen!

We are planning a year in Denmark from later this year. We have 2 kids, the eldest turning 6 around Christmas time.

I am contemplating the options we have for him entering school. Here in Australia he has commenced prep and is doing really well with his reading and maths already. I understand that at his age, he only just 'gets into' the first year at school there (even though by that stage he will be almost through his first year here), and I wonder how much point there is to sending him to an international school if he already has the basic literacy and numeracy skills that they might teach at that first year level. I'd like to ensure that he gets maximum opportunity to learn Danish and wonder if immersion at a local school would help him the most.

So I am wondering what the merits are of international school versus local danish school, and if the local danish school would be a feasible option for him? Can people share their experiences so that I can direct my research appropriately.

Tusind tak i forvejen!

Lucy

Hi Lucy,

Try to pick some info to this link MyDenmarkTV.com Episode # 36 - Danish Kids, Daycare Tips, Pacifier Tree, Parental Leave in Denmark, Toys and More

The site has always posted a free video tips every Wednesday for insights and practical tips about living in Denmark.

Good Luck.

thanks for your reference, I have seen some of the MyDenmarkTV episodes and am slowly working through them.

That particular episode was a good introduction, but it would be great to get some more personal experience and opinions.

We are thinking that we will try to live north of Copenhagen in the Gentofte kommune, and wonder if anyone can tell me anything about the Danish primary schools in the area?

Lew,

I am not from that area but I can recommend you to contact these schools and checking their websites at this address http://www.gentofte.dk/Skole_og_uddanne … moder.aspx
   You can Google the school names and find out more about them on their websites. Of course a very few provides info in English, and in this case you can do a Google translate.
   Good luck Lew.

My "foreign" colleagues who do not send their kids to danish school for primary education send them to Rygaards school in Hellerup: http://www.rygaards.com/.  Bernedotte School, close by, is another possibility: http://www.bernadotteskolen.dk/Infoweb/ … =&ForumID=

Copenhagen International School (CIS) is an option only for the rich, UN staff, or diplomats.

Good luck.

I am heading to denmark with my wife for 3 months from  Australia for a placement at the University of Arhuus (my wife), commencing at the beginning o the school year (end of July).  I have a 5 year old and 1 year old. 

I was thinking about enrolling the 5 year old in a local Kindergarten, as opposed to an english language school.  What do people think of this idea, and is it possible?  They should be able to get a CPRS number as they will be travelling on German passports.  Should I just call some local the kindergartens up directly?

Also, would occasional day care be available for my 1 year old (my wife and I can share care as we will both only work part time)?  What kind of registration information would I need.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Lachlan.