The unofficial web page of the greater Cuenca expat community

There have been experiments to use sound to destroy cancer cells.  Unfortunately, it is not quite ready for prime time yet and may not be for some time.

Like CB48, I was told by doctors that stool samples were the way that parasites are identified.  And even then the tests can fail. 

Have to say that knowing the location/date/time of birth sounds suspiciously like astrology.  But I am pretty cynical and medical science not my strong point.

Mike

quito0819 wrote:

There have been experiments to use sound to destroy cancer cells.  Unfortunately, it is not quite ready for prime time yet and may not be for some time.

Like CB48, I was told by doctors that stool samples were the way that parasites are identified.  And even then the tests can fail. 

Have to say that knowing the location/date/time of birth sounds suspiciously like astrology.  But I am pretty cynical and medical science not my strong point.

Mike

Yeah, I think the blood test for a patient was the reason he was visiting another doctor, and that led to a discussion about other things. This other doctor who is a local said that parasite is present in the local water supply.  My guess is if it is present, it is not at the same levels as in other cities or countries, but could be enough to impact the  digestion of a Gringo and possiblly contribute to his/her weight loss. Seems plausible to me.

Many of his beliefs and practices fall outside the mainstream.  He does have a lot of conventional scientific and medical background, however.

While I donŽt expect the same level of customer service in Ecuador as I did in the U.S., I do expect it when I go to a McDonalds, since consistency of food, service and price is what has made McDonalds a successful worldwide franchise. And I found the McDonalds in Guatemala to be quite efficient, when I lived there so it is a question of adequate training and expectations.  Maybe the problem is that is difficult to fire people here in Ecuador.  You can never weed out the poor performers. It is like the teachers unions in the U.S. LOL!

Su restaurante en Cuenca es sin duda el peor McDonalds he visitado en mi vida en términos de eficacia, y he visitado muchos.  No hay sentido de urgencia por los empleados que uno se espera de un McDonalds. Los empleados no son bien entrenado. Una vez  tuve que devolver mi Big Mac dos veces por que no hubo carne en mi hamburguesa.  Otra vez pedí una ensalada en lugar de papas y creyó tanto confusión que tuve que pedir papas. Otra vez tuve que esperar diez minutos para recibir cambio por un billete de diez dolares.  Hoy no hubo panquques  disponibles y tuve un larga espera ya que sola  una persona estaba tomando pedidos. 

Por qué no revisar los cameras de seguridad para juzgar si los criterio de rendimiento están siendo cumplido? Pregunten su socios en Estados Unidos su opinión sobre la operación en Cuenca.  Ellos a van a morirse de risa.

Si cosas no cambian, el McDonalds en Cuenca merece el miso fin como los de Bolivia.

Gracias. Traté de ser constructivo con mi critica

Nards Barley wrote:

While I donŽt expect the same level of customer service in Ecuador as I did in the U.S., I do expect it when I go to a McDonalds, since consistency of food, service and price is what has made McDonalds a successful worldwide franchise.

I think McDonalds has become sloppy in overseeing the performance of their international franchisees, and one can no longer expect consistency from them (which I suspect will damage the company, since as you note that consistency is a big part of their brand).

The Philippine McDonalds were horrible. Service was very poor, and they had dreadful logistics -- they were consistently out of popular items (even Big Macs). One place was out of Value Meals #1-5 -- no Big Mac, no Big & Tasty, no Quarter-Pounder, no Double Cheeseburger, and no McChicken. One wonders why they bothered to be open at all.

Of course, I also visited a Pizza Hut there that had no pizzas.

BobH wrote:

The Philippine McDonalds were horrible. Service was very poor, and they had dreadful logistics -- they were consistently out of popular items (even Big Macs). One place was out of Value Meals #1-5 -- no Big Mac, no Big & Tasty, no Quarter-Pounder, no Double Cheeseburger, and no McChicken. One wonders why they bothered to be open at all.

Of course, I also visited a Pizza Hut there that had no pizzas.

Jollee Bee seemed more consistent, not sure where that franchise originated, but better than the above-mentioned.

Yeah, I think the blood test for a patient was the reason he was visiting another doctor, and that led to a discussion about other things. This other doctor who is a local said that parasite is present in the local water supply.  My guess is if it is present, it is not at the same levels as in other cities or countries, but could be enough to impact the  digestion of a Gringo and possiblly contribute to his/her weight loss. Seems plausible to me.

This am I was talking to an expat couple who had three days of stool tests for some kind of stomach aliment and an amoeba was found once.  They were treated and the problem is gone.  My wife (Panamá) and our comadre (Ecuador) will only drink from bottled water but others here swear the water is pure and the best in the world..  I think - judging from the experience of others - that some caution might be a good idea.

As to McDonald's...It is what it is.  A week ago I ordered two cheeseburgers and got them after a wait.  I think they cook to order and not till ordered.  Don't know how that stacks up in the States...but then I am a fan of Sonic when visiting the family.

Mike

quito0819 wrote:

This am I was talking to an expat couple who had three days of stool tests for some kind of stomach aliment and an amoeba was found once.  They were treated and the problem is gone.  My wife (Panamá) and our comadre (Ecuador) will only drink from bottled water but others here swear the water is pure and the best in the world..  I think - judging from the experience of others - that some caution might be a good idea.

As to McDonald's...It is what it is.  A week ago I ordered two cheeseburgers and got them after a wait.  I think they cook to order and not till ordered.  Don't know how that stacks up in the States...but then I am a fan of Sonic when visiting the family.

Mike

I am going to look into buying a water purifier.  I think you are right about McDonalds cooking to order rather than putting something under the heat lamp, and I have no problem waiting extra for fresher food. My main beef has been with the peformance at the counter and getting my order right.

P.S.
Did you get a new scooter?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI4w0_i6b0hJYTCXDY34ydHEofDeFhb_G1IzWuK0qojYfa1T3KSw

I mentioned a few days ago I had contracted a security monitoring company that comes to your house when the alarm goes off, or they call you first if it is immediately turned off a result of a false alarm. In any case, I canned the first company primarily because a company called Crime Stop would be able to respond faster since they have a permanent post in an adjacent neighborhood. Plus, the manager speaks pefect English and is very responsive to phone calls and emails so I felt more comfortable dealing with him.

In any case, while I knew his guards would drive down my street doing patrols, I didnŽt know they would park in front of the rowhouse once a day usually for a few minutes.  This makes me feel special, hence the tiltle of the post.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2BzSj-dwEoA/Uv6N0lvT_RI/AAAAAAAABj4/BpbpP1lCes4/s800/IMG_20140214_162401.JPG

Mugtech is forcing me to work extra in order pass the The Best Places to live Thread.

To that end, I present below a photo of CuencaŽs most underappreciated Ice Cream Stand, Coco Express.  This stand is located in the Mall del Rio and they sell three things:

1. Soft serve ice cream (coconut). No toppings.  DonŽt order a cone, cuz it will break and fall into your lap.
2. A coconut slush drink
3. Bottle coconut water.

I also like it because it on the less busy side of the food court.  A simple menu means fast service, less hassles.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fR1iA7cHd3w/Uv6Nth-IM6I/AAAAAAAABjo/1brysRkeNRA/s800/IMG_20140214_164122.JPG

Love the scooter.  Had it since last June.  It is a Fatty 150.  I use it for around town (with the exception of the deal I made with God that I would never, ever drive on Av de Las Americas).  Not all kinds of power but it goes up to 60 km (±35 mph) and I can move to the front of the line in the Centro.

BTW, the company that sells us gas also sells the water bottles.  We call them and in comes the truck with gas and water.  Maybe your company does the same.

Mike

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-c7LdCn7uwUI/Uv6N2DOUg7I/AAAAAAAABkA/6HfZWGr3Wfs/s800/IMG_20140214_142053.JPG

Continuing with my tour of the breakfast circuit, I happened to walk by Common Grounds late morning after visiting TVCable on official BBRC business.

Considering they promote themselves as a waffle and coffee house, I decided to have............wait.................a waffle and coffee. And I must say I was pleased it was a traditional flat waffle instead of a Belgium waffle. Belgium waffles are overrated. I paid $4.50 for the waffle and cup of coffee. I wouldnŽt be able to afford anything else I saw on the menu.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nviNOM1giBE/Uv6N6iq-edI/AAAAAAAABkI/CswSpt2q8rc/s800/IMG_20140214_113227.jpg

And now for a little of the decor::

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Hurq_euyQnk/Uv6N_czDa5I/AAAAAAAABkQ/P6E3Ef-mNDA/s800/IMG_20140214_112529.jpg

Nards Barley wrote:

Mugtech is forcing me to work extra in order pass the The Best Places to live Thread.
To that end, I present below a photo of CuencaŽs most underappreciated Ice Cream Stand, Coco Express.

Guilty as charged.  So you can all thank me for the extra great info Nards is producing here, even while continuing to take care of BBRC business.  He will overtake The Best Places To Live next month, I expect a huge celebration, lots of noise.  Time to go inspire Loving Ecuador.

Nards Barley wrote:

While I donŽt expect the same level of customer service in Ecuador as I did in the U.S., I do expect it when I go to a McDonalds, since consistency of food, service and price is what has made McDonalds a successful worldwide franchise. And I found the McDonalds in Guatemala to be quite efficient, when I lived there so it is a question of adequate training and expectations.  Maybe the problem is that is difficult to fire people here in Ecuador.  You can never weed out the poor performers. It is like the teachers unions in the U.S. LOL!

Su restaurante en Cuenca es sin duda el peor McDonalds he visitado en mi vida en términos de eficacia, y he visitado muchos.  No hay sentido de urgencia por los empleados que uno se espera de un McDonalds. Los empleados no son bien entrenado. Una vez  tuve que devolver mi Big Mac dos veces por que no hubo carne en mi hamburguesa.  Otra vez pedí una ensalada en lugar de papas y creyó tanto confusión que tuve que pedir papas. Otra vez tuve que esperar diez minutos para recibir cambio por un billete de diez dolares.  Hoy no hubo panquques  disponibles y tuve un larga espera ya que sola  una persona estaba tomando pedidos. 

Por qué no revisar los cameras de seguridad para juzgar si los criterio de rendimiento están siendo cumplido? Pregunten su socios en Estados Unidos su opinión sobre la operación en Cuenca.  Ellos a van a morirse de risa.

Si cosas no cambian, el McDonalds en Cuenca merece el miso fin como los de Bolivia.

Gracias. Traté de ser constructivo con mi critica

MSN just listed 14 foods to never eat, and most of it was the expected "Eat everything organic, raise your own cows and chickens" stuff.  They lead off with swordfish because of the mercury content, diet soda because of artificial sweeteners, canned tomatoes because the linings contain synthetic estrogen, and ANY FOOD SERVED AT MCDONALDS,  Factory farming did in Mc D, plus no bread or rolls today contain anything like the original wheat products of yesteryear.  And the manufacturing of butter flavored popcorn causes a problem with the factory workers known as popcorn lung.  You have been warned.

mugtech wrote:

MSN just listed 14 foods to never eat, and most of it was the expected "Eat everything organic, raise your own cows and chickens" stuff.  They lead off with swordfish because of the mercury content, diet soda because of artificial sweeteners, canned tomatoes because the linings contain synthetic estrogen, and ANY FOOD SERVED AT MCDONALDS,

I'll bet the little boys and girls at MSN feel so brave and virtuous: "Watch me as I speak truth to power!"

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmRc6axteSoIPDiE3tQy2soUWsVlmgau659cWn3nRkKZdYDvGb

I donŽt read as many blog posts on this website as I did before they changed the layout.  That is because 1.) in the "Latest Posts in Cuenca" section the titles of the posts are truncated so I often donŽt know what the post is about and 2.) because I have no idea who the blogger is that wrote the post.  I am more likely to read a particular blogger than others, based on where they fall in my blogger pecking order, and if I canŽt easily tell who wrote the post, I just donŽt bother reading them.

That said, I did happen to read this post  about the Amazon.com Prime service, which ships your packages faster, lets you watch free video, and rent ebooks for your Kindle.  Now I finally signed up for the free trial a couople weeks ago since I wanted to expedite the shipping of some things over here including a security camera for the rowhouse.

I finally got around to trying to watch a movie on my PC and I was told that I couldnŽt watch it due to geographical limitations.  Now, if I wanted to,  I could have activated a free VPN such as Spotflux or activated a DNS Proxy service in order to watch that movie. But, I decided against it since the particular movie I wanted to watch (the Avengers), had no Spanish audio track. One big advantage that I can see with Netflix over Amazon, is that Netflix has many videos that have audio tracks for both Spanish and English and subtitles in both Spanish and English.  Now I made the committment when arriving to Ecuador that I would NEVER watch a movie or television program at home again in English, unless I have mastered understanding Spanish.  I do make an exception for an occasional NBA basketball game I stream or if I am somebody elseŽs house.  I think it is fair to say, based on how my Spanish has progressed, I may never watch another movie or tv show again at home in English again.

Nards Barley wrote:

I made the committment when arriving to Ecuador that I would NEVER watch a movie or television program at home again in English, unless I have mastered understanding Spanish.

Has this approach been helpful to you? It makes little difference to me, given that the amount of TV I watch is pretty close to zero (a couple NFL playoff games has been it for the month I've been here, and I probably won't turn on the TV again until the World Series), but I've heard differing opinions on how helpful watching TV in Spanish is. I might watch a bit more -- maybe a news show or two, if I care to put up with Correa's censorship -- if I thought it would help me learn better/faster.

BobH wrote:
Nards Barley wrote:

I made the committment when arriving to Ecuador that I would NEVER watch a movie or television program at home again in English, unless I have mastered understanding Spanish.

Has this approach been helpful to you? It makes little difference to me, given that the amount of TV I watch is pretty close to zero (a couple NFL playoff games has been it for the month I've been here, and I probably won't turn on the TV again until the World Series), but I've heard differing opinions on how helpful watching TV in Spanish is. I might watch a bit more -- maybe a news show or two, if I care to put up with Correa's censorship -- if I thought it would help me learn better/faster.

It is tough to measure. I would say donŽt bother until you have covered all the grammar and built up your vocabularly considerably.  And once that happens, I would recommend that you limit yourself to newscasts and documentaries, since drama is way too fast.

I would watch more movies and shows if the spanish subtitles corresponded to the dialog, but they rarely do.

Nards,
The Eggs Benedict is very good at CG. And, if ya want to really clog the arteries, try The Local 5 for Biscuits and Gravy. < right by Hotel Verde > They sell their own mixture of Italian Sausage and breakfast sausage sold in bulk for carry out. Pretty good stuff. I can actually feel my arteries constricting as I type this!
Just back from another trip to Mancora Peru. Good time.

Thats nothing Zen...I can hear them slamming shut all the way from here!!

I think it is time for me to unsubscribe to the Gringo Tree emails.   An unsourced rumor, known to probably very few expats, and debunked by the immigration office is not something I need to know. All it is is spam. 

A story circulating on the Cuenca gringo grape vine is that Ecuador immigration officials are considering new rules that would revoke residency and lead to deportation of expats who behave badly.

When we asked officials in the Quito and Cuenca immigration offices if there was any truth to it, the answer was a definitive no. There has been no official discussion of changing immigration rules and none is anticipated, they say.

For the record, a complaint challenging a foreign resident's visa status almost always requires a legal basis to be considered seriously; claims of obnoxious behavior do not meet that standard. Deportation, on the other hand, is handled by police, not by immigration authorities, and is generally the result of verified criminal activity.

It looks like the Ugly American is safe for the time being, so long as he doesn't have a run-in with the law.

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Just back from another trip to Mancora Peru. Good time.

Wow.  It must be a good place, or even a better place than Cuenca, since you were just there.

Naw....
Doesn't compare to Cuenca for overall quality of living. It's a tourist beach town. Fine for what it is, but... not a place to hang your hat. 4 or 5 day's and you are ready to get back to the charm of Cuenca. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our stay, we got what we were looking for: sand, water, sun, shopping, and good food, but no tears were shed on departure.
Stay Well,
Neil

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Naw....
Doesn't compare to Cuenca for overall quality of living. It's a tourist beach town. Fine for what it is, but... not a place to hang your hat. 4 or 5 day's and you are ready to get back to the charm of Cuenca. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our stay, we got what we were looking for: sand, water, sun, shopping, and good food, but no tears were shed on departure.
Stay Well,
Neil

Thanks for clarifying.  So, can we conclude it is a better tourist beach town that any of the offerings in Ecuador?

P.S.  I need to pay you a visit one of these days/weeks when you are free, in order to get a  real insiderŽs take on what is happening in the Cuenca expat community.

You know where I live Amigo, and you know the door is always open and the beer cold. Also, the price is right.
I don't know that the beaches are any better. Planning some up coming visits to some of the beach towns in Ecuador in the coming weeks.
As far as me tipping you on the expat community..... we'll see if I can lend any insight. You have to start hitting some of our get togethers. I'll let you know when we they are coming down by email. I know you don't normally do many gringo events, but we do have a good time on occasion with a band of brothers.
I do know that for Carnival we are going to Paute. Cuenca is supposed to be a ghost town, as everyone goes out of town. Plus, here they just throw water at you!
Stay Well,

Nards Barley wrote:

I think it is time for me to unsubscribe to the Gringo Tree emails.   An unsourced rumor, known to probably very few expats, and debunked by the immigration office is not something I need to know. All it is is spam. 

A story circulating on the Cuenca gringo grape vine is that Ecuador immigration officials are considering new rules that would revoke residency and lead to deportation of expats who behave badly.

When we asked officials in the Quito and Cuenca immigration offices if there was any truth to it, the answer was a definitive no. There has been no official discussion of changing immigration rules and none is anticipated, they say.

For the record, a complaint challenging a foreign resident's visa status almost always requires a legal basis to be considered seriously; claims of obnoxious behavior do not meet that standard. Deportation, on the other hand, is handled by police, not by immigration authorities, and is generally the result of verified criminal activity.

It looks like the Ugly American is safe for the time being, so long as he doesn't have a run-in with the law.

Sounds like a rumor started by the folks that wanted to start their own little vigilante group who would correct what they considered bad behavior on the part of an expat.  Another way to terrorize the politically incorrect.  On the other hand, Ecuadorian law (and a lot of Latin countries in my experience) criminalize certain acts like those against the honor of a person (fulano is a crook...) that under US law are civil suits.   

Maybe I lead a sheltered life here in Cuenca, but I have not seen that kind of behavior that would rise to a national concern.  The deportations that I do know about were criminals wanted by another country or drug/money couriers.  These were done through the Ecuadorian legal system following a request from INTERPOL and according to international treaties.

Personally, I suspect that any AMCIT convicted of a crime here would welcome extradition to the States after a taste of Ecuadorian jails.  But then again, maybe not.

Mike

I think you nailed it, Mike. Some folks probably want to have a purge of those who are insufficiently culturally sensitive. Demerits for eating at McDonalds or complaining about gringo prices. Ten demerits and you're out.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/04/39/db/8c/roux-bar-and-bistro.jpg

I finally went to the restaurant Roux, which is a gringo hotspot.  I had the steak tips with mashed potatos. It was quite decadent.  Fortunately, I didnŽt have to pay since a client of the BBRC picked up the tab.

As is often the case at gringo restaurants in Cuenca, the people at the tables are having conversation with people at the other tables, and everyone has already been acquainted. Of course, no one knew who I was................

Only complaint I have is it gets quite loud inside.  There is outoor sitting as well, but they need to get some of those outdoor heat lamps.

I laughed so hard it hurt reading this,, it is great !  The "I will not watch TV in English.. or movies,, except for Football.. baseball, etc.. "

Denise in Denver wrote:

I laughed so hard it hurt reading this,, it is great !  The "I will not watch TV in English.. or movies,, except for Football.. baseball, etc.. "

Yes, we all have our priorities.

Mugtech,, I used to have a shop in the Mall in downtown Bethlehem a long time ago,, I had the opportunity to visit in March of 2013,, and had to include a visit to the Moravian book store.  I used to live in a row home on East 3rd Street... are you still in Bethlehem, PA?

Denise in Denver wrote:

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule...............

http://www.gogo-gringo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Carolina-Bookstore-150x150.jpg

Dr. Lee Dubbs, owner of CarolinaŽs bookstore, former college professor of Spanish, 9 or 10 year resident of Cuenca, expert on culture sensitivity, and way up on the Cuenca expat pecking order, has a new blog post titled "Six Big Mistakes Many People Make When Moving To a New Country".

MIstake number 3 of his article is,

Believing all the propaganda about moving to the new country. While there is accurate and trustworthy information out there, there are two groups that spill out an almost endless stream of nothing but positive information about the country. The first are organizations whose goal is to convince you to make the move in the first place and pay them for information. The second group is made up of individuals who sell goods and services within the country.

I am hoping the BBRC will evolve into the first of the two type of organizations he mentions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Qd7CLKwPOEA/UwaP7zjJpbI/AAAAAAAABkg/aqjZr1-xqvs/s800/logo%2520test.jpg

I am hoping the BBRC will evolve into the first of the two type of organizations he mentions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[img align=c]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Qd7CLKwPOEA/UwaP7zjJpbI/AAAAAAAABkg/aqjZr1-xqvs/s800/logo%2520test.jpg[/url]

Seems a reasonable goal to me

And while speaking about the BBRC, I was just offered this opportunity nine minutes ago by Alexandra:

BUENAS NOCHES ME GUSTARÍA OFRECERLE UN NEGOCIO QUE PUEDE DESARROLLAR EN ECUADOR Y ADICIONAL 8 PAISES MAS.
SON NEGOCIOS INTELIGENTES TIENE QUE VER CON TECNOLOGIA E INTERNET.
ESTAMOS REGISTRADOS LEGALEMENTE POR AHORA EN 9 PAISES, SI QUIERE SABER MAS INFORMACION CON GUSTO LE PUEDO EXPLICAR A DETALLE, PUEDE NOTIFICARME POR AQUI O MI CORREO
SALUDOS!

Good evening, I would like to offer a business that you can develop in Ecuador and 8 other countries.
They are intelligent businesses that deal with technology and the internet.
At this time we are legally registered in 9 countries.  If you want to know more....

You know, I have always fancied myself a tech giant going toe to toe with Microsoft....

Mike

People be paying the BBRC for info?  How dat gonna work?

Denise in Denver wrote:

Mugtech,, I used to have a shop in the Mall in downtown Bethlehem a long time ago,, I had the opportunity to visit in March of 2013,, and had to include a visit to the Moravian book store.  I used to live in a row home on East 3rd Street... are you still in Bethlehem, PA?

Still here

mugtech wrote:

I donŽt know. A landing guide, a travel magazine, or an investment/advise letter are all possibilities.

Nards Barley wrote:
mugtech wrote:

I donŽt know. A landing guide, a travel magazine, or an investment/advise letter are all possibilities.

How to make money overseas!

Recommended photo caption:  Gringos crossing street on their way to the planetarium after having breakfast at their favorite Cuenca eatery.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Zh8yiUaDa2M/UwjUNrGLx2I/AAAAAAAABkw/qB7RElKYBms/s800/IMG_20140222_100828.jpg

P.S.
Pancakes I had werenŽt bad.  Combo, consisting of coffee and 3 pancakes was $3.35 plus tax.  I also learned today that they are open for breakfast at 7:00 a.m.

Nards Barley wrote:
mugtech wrote:

Yesterday on the Military Channel I saw an ad for BuyBelize.com that may interest you.  They were hawking the pristine beaches, lush rain forests, and great investment opportunities in a place where English is the official language.  The web site is more of the same.  Perhaps BBRC and IL could team up for a similar promotion, perhaps Buy Cuenca.com.  Who knows how many who were watching Fall of the Third Reich yesterday will wind up buying real estate in Belize?  Of course when you google it you get a pile of complaints, goes with the territory.

Time to leave the Best Places to Live in Ecuador thread in the dust.

You might have read an articlerecently on CuencaLOWlife.comŽs website about new import restrictions in Ecuador.

Well, I had my first shopping experience today where I was impacted by this new law. I tried to buy peanut butter last week at the Coral in the Mall del Rio and they were out of the only brand they carry,  which is Schullo, an Ecuadorian Brand. It is not great, but decent.

Today, I went to SuperMaxi today and was going to buy either Jiff or Peter Pan peanut butter which they import, but there was none! Only the Schullo brand.  So I bought Shullo. I will live.

I should have taken note as to whether other imported items were gone from the shelves.