The unofficial web page of the greater Cuenca expat community

quito0819 wrote:

Actually, there are two sets of prices.  Both my wife (from Panamá) and our comadre go shopping at the market.  Neither want me to go as the prices would go up.  That said, they are putting up signs with an established price for the fruits, vegetables etc in some of the markets.  And even if you pay a bit more, it is way under prices in the States and a lot fresher.

Works the same way for me in the Philippines, my wife wants me to hide until she is done shopping, then I get to show up to do the heavy lifting.  Fresh markets there also better and cheaper than in the USA.

The gap between this thread and 'Best Place to Live in Ecuador' is down to less than 3000 -- looks like February might be the big month!

The excitement is palpable!

BobH wrote:

The gap between this thread and 'Best Place to Live in Ecuador' is down to less than 3000 -- looks like February might be the big month!

The excitement is palpable!

I'm sticking with my 3/19/14 prediction, after the Superb Owl it is the next big event.

http://www.hazmatfc.com/SiteCollectionImages/Hazmat-logo.gif

Just received via Club Correos the following item, ordered from Amazon.com:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dRL1doh3L._SY300_.jpg

In its description of the product on Amazon.com it says the following:

HazMat item not eligible for air shipment

According to EconCargoŽs (Club Correos) website, the following restrictions apply:

- Artículos Explosivos
- Animales
- Joyas
- Armas de Fuego
- Cerámicas
- Vidrio
- Combustible
- Explosivos
- Celulares
- Otros artículos prohibidos de ser importados
- Repuestos usados.
- Dinero, cheques, tarjetas de crédito
Existen productos de importación restringida que necesita autorizaciones previas, por favor consultar la página de la aduana www.aduana.gob.ec

I thought there was a very good chance this product would not make it out of Miami, on the grounds it might be considered an explosive, since it is a pressurized spray can etc....

Nonetheless, I did receive the spray. Maybe the fact it was classifed as a "dog repellent" instead of pepper spray helped get it through. Or maybe pressurized cans are not considered a risk. Or maybe I got lucky.

An article from the Wall Street Journal on the state of the free press in Ecuaodr:

The Ecuadorean government has fined a leading local newspaper, saying a political cartoon it recently published was defamatory and promoted social unrest, stoking concerns about press freedom in the South American country.

REad More Here

http://cdn2.insidermonkey.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Arcos-Dorados-logo.jpg

Finally made it over to the McDonalds by Parque de la Madre before 10:30 a.m. and ordered the Egg McMuffin combo meal. It only came with the sandwich and coffee. Apparently they donŽt make hash browns. Outraged, I sent a message at the following website:

Como voz destacado de la comunidad de expatriados de Cuenca, quería expresar mi gran decepción sobre el hecho de que no hubo fritura de papa y cebolla ("hash browns" en inglés) servido con mi McMuffin de huevo esta mañana.  Para mi, no servir hash browns con los McMuffins es como no servir papas fritas con los Big Macs. Ojalá sea una omisión temporal y pueda esperar la inclusión de hash browns en el futuro.

P.S. The bread is not an English Muffin, but otherwise it is pretty good.

How the hell can you NOT have a fish sandwich in Ecuador? When I went in the first week or two of opening, they had no combo meals. Perhaps they have expanded the menu? There were no breakfast items when I visited, so obviously they are evolving.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kgvhJCjdLts/UvK1bWdtUoI/AAAAAAAABiQ/t3h3sJaSJxE/s800/logo_250x110-1.png

Scored me a coupon today for a free coupon after seeing this ad in the Gringo Post.

Find Health in Ecuador
Free haircut certificate for men and free manicure certificate for women, this week only. Just come by the office of "Find Health in Ecuador" (same office as residency visas and containers) for your free haircut or free manicure certificate; anytime from the hours of 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM, Monday - Friday, located at Edificio Acropolis, Office #303, Avenida Jose Peralta & Avenida 12 de Abril, Cuenca.

At that same office. they help with visa processing and offer health insurance plans. They gave me a flyer for under 60 and over 60 health plans. I am going to try and scan it and post it later. I donŽt have a health insurance plan so I am interested in seeing what is out there. What I really want is a plan where I donŽt have to fill out paperwork to get reimbursed.

Vinny66, if you read this, were any of those health plans you researched for some gringos some months ago free of paperwork?

I'll be following this thread closely, as I am also in the hunt for a decent policy.
I got suckered into a high priced policy that was supposed to have no deductible, and no paperwork involved. It was a bust. The pharmacy associated with them wouldn't even give me my included drugs, because the insurance company was not reimbursing them.
I think we will be hard pressed to find a company that doesn't make you fill out paperwork, and having to submit it for payment. I have heard that Astud is supposed to be very good, but they require the paperwork  run around. I don't mind paying a little extra to avoid that hassle, but I'm afraid it's un avoidable. Like to hear differently.
Good Luck.... and give me a heads up if you hear of a good company.

ZenSPIKE wrote:

I'll be following this thread closely, as I am also in the hunt for a decent policy.
I got suckered into a high priced policy that was supposed to have no deductible, and no paperwork involved. It was a bust. The pharmacy associated with them wouldn't even give me my included drugs, because the insurance company was not reimbursing them.
I think we will be hard pressed to find a company that doesn't make you fill out paperwork, and having to submit it for payment. I have heard that Astud is supposed to be very good, but they require the paperwork  run around. I don't mind paying a little extra to avoid that hassle, but I'm afraid it's un avoidable. Like to hear differently.
Good Luck.... and give me a heads up if you hear of a good company.

I was thinking maybe those policies offered by the hospitals directly might be my best option for minimal paperwork. I think Vinny66 talked to Santa Ines, so maybe he knows.

Nards,
I agree with your thinking on a hospital policy. It would seem everything would be handled in house, with less running around, and possibly consolidating the paperwork. I have been to Santa Ines, and was more than satisfied with their treatment. My biggest concern is do they do any networking? Say, if one were to have an incident in country, but out of the city of Cuenca, would they cover you?

ZenSPIKE wrote:

I think we will be hard pressed to find a company that doesn't make you fill out paperwork, and having to submit it for payment.

Business opportunity. There are individuals in the US (often people who had formerly worked for insurance companies) who handle insurance paperwork (especially resubmission on denied or short-pay claims). Perhaps something similar might present an opportunity here for an enterprising person looking for some extra income from a work-at-home business.

Here is what findhealthinEcuador gave me.

First the under 60 handout: (2 pages):

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HKBEIOhbrXY/UvLSuQTCVoI/AAAAAAAABiw/E41JWb2aziI/s800/under%2520600001.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-zwQNcAC_-wM/UvLSt1SKwTI/AAAAAAAABio/nALCsXfPFzQ/s800/under%2520600002.jpg

Now over 60 (1 page):

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Jt9isF98ABM/UvLSvMtGZII/AAAAAAAABi0/DJQTM_jKOao/s800/over%252060%2520health%2520plan.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfnDtiniqM67vSspAaaEpkhug5n47J6pPIoAKu_JkHS9GF498U

Got my replacement tablet the other day, so I am now able to more effectively cover the mundane in Cuenca.

The other day on a defunct thread of mine, I was encouraged to try the crepes at Cafe de Nucallacta.  I heeded that advise and now for my review:

Here is the special crepe menu:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-OaloBBroA_A/UvaN_I6G3CI/AAAAAAAABjM/nyWnIceW7PE/s800/IMG_20140208_130607.jpg

Here is the crepe I ordered which was stuffed with pineapple jelly, although I donŽt remember tasting the jelly.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-pYZ_5_gmeic/UvaOKDou6CI/AAAAAAAABjU/07jx3o93IR8/s800/IMG_20140208_120144.jpg

The Critique:

The crepe was real good and was cooked by a real French guy. It is not actual man food, but makes for a good side with a cup of coffee.  One cup of coffee is included with the cost of the crepe, so the price is right.     While I was under the impression that the French guy was only working Sundays,  an employee told me he works there every day, although that wasnŽt confirmed.

I should mention that rumor has it that they will be replacing the furnniture soon with more comfortable chairs. Also, there is now free wifi available.

Not good news on Gringtree today about expat health insurance.

Can you send a link to the article?

quito0819 wrote:

Here is the text of an email that Gringo Tree sent out today. I donŽt think it appears anywhere on their website:

Trouble Brewing for Gringo Health Insurance

After actively pursuing expat business for several years, some local and national health insurance programs are now considering drastic premium hikes or even dropping coverage for foreigners altogether. The reason? Gringos are too sick and too expensive to insure at Ecuadorian rates.

An administrator for one Cuenca insurance program says that many Cuenca insurers have been shocked by the number and amount of claims that have been filed. "Our prices were based on the assumption that foreigners were in the same health as Ecuadorians of the same age," says the administrator, who asked not to be identified. "What we are finding is that gringos, especially those from the United Sates, are much sicker and need more services."

An expense that was grossly underestimated, she says, is the cost of medications. "In Ecuador, most people use medicine when they are sick and stop using it when the get well. Many gringos take large amounts of drugs and don't want to stop, even when their doctors say it isn't necessary." She says that several of her program's gringo client's routinely submit monthly claims of more than $400 for medicine. "It is the main reason that we may decide not to insure expats in the future."

The administrator says that much of the fault lies with the insurance companies and programs themselves. "We, and other programs, did not always require physical examinations to assess applicants' health, and we should have. We have discovered that too many of our clients are obese. We have found that other clients knew that they needed thousands of dollars of medical services before they signed up and didn't tell us in the application. After they have been approved they start taking advantage of the services."

Meanwhile, several expat customers of a popular hospital-based insurance plan with dozens of foreign members, report that the plan is refusing to pay claims due to an apparent glitch in an automated premium payment arrangement with local banks. One unpaid claim amounts to more than $20,000. Two of the plan's customers with unpaid claims say have hired an attorney and may pursue legal action.

Fat old gringos gonna ruin it for everyone.
The health system is being ambushed by the fact that USA citizens are acting in Ecuador like they did in the USA.  Sorry to hear this is news, but Ecuador has been promoted for the cheap health care, so naturally the cost will rise as more arrive from the USA.  If the gringo population doubles, expect the health care insurance, if still available, to climb in a similar fashion.

Nards Barley wrote:
quito0819 wrote:

Here is the text of an email that Gringo Tree sent out today. I donŽt think it appears anywhere on their website:

Trouble Brewing for Gringo Health Insurance

After actively pursuing expat business for several years, some local and national health insurance programs are now considering drastic premium hikes or even dropping coverage for foreigners altogether. The reason? Gringos are too sick and too expensive to insure at Ecuadorian rates.

An administrator for one Cuenca insurance program says that many Cuenca insurers have been shocked by the number and amount of claims that have been filed. "Our prices were based on the assumption that foreigners were in the same health as Ecuadorians of the same age," says the administrator, who asked not to be identified. "What we are finding is that gringos, especially those from the United Sates, are much sicker and need more services."

An expense that was grossly underestimated, she says, is the cost of medications. "In Ecuador, most people use medicine when they are sick and stop using it when the get well. Many gringos take large amounts of drugs and don't want to stop, even when their doctors say it isn't necessary." She says that several of her program's gringo client's routinely submit monthly claims of more than $400 for medicine. "It is the main reason that we may decide not to insure expats in the future."

The administrator says that much of the fault lies with the insurance companies and programs themselves. "We, and other programs, did not always require physical examinations to assess applicants' health, and we should have. We have discovered that too many of our clients are obese. We have found that other clients knew that they needed thousands of dollars of medical services before they signed up and didn't tell us in the application. After they have been approved they start taking advantage of the services."

Meanwhile, several expat customers of a popular hospital-based insurance plan with dozens of foreign members, report that the plan is refusing to pay claims due to an apparent glitch in an automated premium payment arrangement with local banks. One unpaid claim amounts to more than $20,000. Two of the plan's customers with unpaid claims say have hired an attorney and may pursue legal action.

Interesting.

I wonder though if Americans have a habit of using medical providers more often than Ecuadorans do for any suspected ailment? Americans are used to plenty of medical access so maybe they go to the doctor for things that Ecuadoran would not? Therefore costing the system more.

And I don't doubt the poor health of Americans, due to the sedentary lifestyle and increasing toxic food supply. But perhaps after time in Ecuador with a more healthy food supply and more outdoor exercise, their health may improve?

And I don't know anything about Ecuadoran demographics, but I don't remember seeing many very old people? They may just stay home so I didn't see them, or perhaps their life expectancy is shorter so that the elderly don't live long enough to be so costly to the health care system?

gardener1 wrote:

And I don't know anything about Ecuadoran demographics, but I don't remember seeing many very old people? They may just stay home so I didn't see them, or perhaps their life expectancy is shorter so that the elderly don't live long enough to be so costly to the health care system?

i DO BELIEVE YOU ARE ON TO SOMETHING HERE!!  The USA social security and later medicare were set up with the idea that the average person would not live long past 65, but such faulty assumptions will be pushing both systems over the edge 20 years from now.  One would hope living in Ecuador would improve the lives and health of some, but how long will it take to undo 60 years of unhealthy living?  How many years can a people exist before they're allowed to be free?  The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind, the answer is blowin' in the wind.

Quite0819, and Nards,
Quito I am sorry I didnt respond to your request, and thank you Nards for doing so.

I, for some reason, do not always get notifications of a post.

Just for interest, I looked up some data on life expectancy.  Women can expect to live about 10 years longer in the US. than in Ecuador. Men can expect to live about 7 years longer.  The causes of death are similar although rankings of these causes are different.  Heart disease, stroke, Diabetes. accidents--------.   Alzheimer's is in the top 10 list of killers in the US.  Doesn't even make the ranking in Ecuador.   The next study--Nards???--What is the life expectancy of an American expat in Ecuador?

CB48 wrote:

Alzheimer's is in the top 10 list of killers in the US.  Doesn't even make the ranking in Ecuador.

My guess would be that the shorter life expectancy might explain the fewer deaths here from Alzheimers.

Apparently, the US lifestyle is not that unhealthy.

CB48 wrote:

Just for interest, I looked up some data on life expectancy.  Women can expect to live about 10 years longer in the US. than in Ecuador. Men can expect to live about 7 years longer.  The causes of death are similar although rankings of these causes are different.  Heart disease, stroke, Diabetes. accidents--------.   Alzheimer's is in the top 10 list of killers in the US.  Doesn't even make the ranking in Ecuador.   The next study--Nards???--What is the life expectancy of an American expat in Ecuador?

My 2 cents, and worth every penny, is this: Living in Cuenca, I see many affluent Ecuadorians. They can afford the health care system. But... there is a huge population of very poor. The folks that live in the mountains and rural areas probably never see a physician in their lives. This could be a huge contributing factor to the countries life expectancy. I'm sure it can't be done, but I think you would see the life expectancy drastically changed for the major cities, where the availability of health care, and the means to pay for it are more readily available.
As far as the aged population here: I have a close Cuencana friend whose parents are 90 and 93 years old. They are not the exception. My friend volunteers at a nursing home here in Cuenca 3 days a week. It is full to capacity. There are two sisters I met there that are 94 and 101 years old. We don't see many of the older population here, as they for the most part are cared for by immediate and extended family in their homes. They are not as readily inclined to warehouse the aged as we are in the US, with our oh so busy lives.
In the end, we all have a finite time on this orb. Enjoy everyday.
Stay Well,
Neil

Thanks, Nards.  This caught my eye

"The administrator says that much of the fault lies with the insurance companies and programs themselves. "We, and other programs, did not always require physical examinations to assess applicants' health, and we should have. We have discovered that too many of our clients are obese. We have found that other clients knew that they needed thousands of dollars of medical services before they signed up and didn't tell us in the application. After they have been approved they start taking advantage of the services."

Sounds to me like US before the Affordable Care Act when coverage could be denied for any reason, like someone was going to need the services.  Don't think these companies did their homework before offering services to their clients.  They targeted an older client base and are outraged that people intend to use the insurance.

Mike

Very well said Zenspike. Your last sentence really hit home as I lost a chilhood friend last night, he was only 54.

Janet,
So sorry to hear of your friends passing . Way to early to be called home.
When you leaving the Tundra?  Can't say I am missing my first Minnesota Winter. It has been brutally cold with tons of snow.
Prayers sent for your friend, and I hope you get through it okay.
Regards,
Neil

Likewise, Janet.  It's always hard to loose a friend and especially so when he or she is so young.

My tid bits of information were just that.  Life expectancy tables and statistics are scewed when one  tries to apply them too broadly.  As ZenSpike said, there may be huge differences when one looks at the wealthy and the poor in separate groups and compared to each other.  (This is absolutely true in the US!)  Genetics are different (Alzheimer's has a large component of genetic predisposition.)  The use of preventative medications (as opposed to preventative medicine) is higher in the US than almost anywhere else in the world and yet some countries have longer life expectancies.   I only found the general information interesting.
My guess is that the insurance companies made the assumption that expats might be healthier than their stay-at-home counterparts and didn't  do their homework.  Older Americans may have chronic medical problems but we are aren't dead or sitting at home in rocking chairs. :)

The old chilhood friend who passed away yesterday, died of a massive heart attack. His daughter found him. I have not seen junior in many decades. I am pretty sure the fact that Junior weighed in at 400 lbs had something to do with it.

Thanks Zenspike for your kind words.

I am planning on arriving in Cuenca 22 April. I will stay at a Bed and Breakfast owned by an american lady named Cameron.
Not sure if rentals in Cuenca works the same as here, but rentals usually start at the beginning of the month. So as soon as i get there i will be looking for a place like a mad woman so I hopefully will only need a room for a week or so.

jan

Zen....right now it is -19 here. Chilly, but definitly not too bad. I will NOT miss this though..LOL

This morning it's -2 degrees F. The remainder of a storm still on the street--ice and dirty snow.  The dog doesn't want to wear his boots but wants to be carried when he steps in snow melt!  Ecuador is looking better and better.  My Spanish class is tonight.  This weather should give me the incentive to study harder.  Hasta luego!
Hope you all have a great day

CB48 wrote:

This morning it's -2 degrees F. The remainder of a storm still on the street--ice and dirty snow.  The dog doesn't want to wear his boots but wants to be carried when he steps in snow melt!  Ecuador is looking better and better.  My Spanish class is tonight.  This weather should give me the incentive to study harder.  Hasta luego!
Hope you all have a great day

The St Louis Blues!!!

Janet,
It's a balmy -11 degrees in Minneapolis. Spring is on the way.

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Janet,
It's a balmy -11 degrees in Minneapolis. Spring is on the way.

Isn't it fun checking the weather back home -- wherever 'back home' is?

In Chicago, it's actually in the positives: +5F. I suppose the girls must be trying on their bikinis and thinking about heading for the beaches at Lake Michigan.

Beautiful and sunnyl today and a chilly -23 in the great white north!!

I sometimes feel like I must be the busiest expat in Cuenca. I have even taken to doing ToDo lists.  It is not suppose to be this way when you donŽt have a full-time vocation.  Most of my time of late has been devoted to improving security matters at the rowhouse,, and a good part of that time is devoted to just getting information, making decisions etc. However, little by little, I have increased security which I intend to detail in a later post.

P.S.
Case in point, here

http://www.diyalarmforum.com/board/inde … ic=20485.0

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/Giardia_lamblia_SEM_8698_lores.jpg/300px-Giardia_lamblia_SEM_8698_lores.jpg

My ex-neighbor, the non-traditional medical pratctioner thinks the parasite in the photo above, called the Giardia lamblia  is the chief cause of the weight loss many expats experience.  He reached this conclusion during the course of treating one of his patients who had some blood drawn and analyzed by a local doctor who is also a non-traditional practitioner

I said "how can this be? everyone brags about how great the water is?" Plus, I said "you have a fancy charcoal based water filter."  Further, I added "I donŽt have diarrea like I had when I lived in Guatemala.  He said having constant gas impedes the absorption of the food and still causes weight loss.  He has put together a conconction that can be added to the water Ithat I use for drinking or cooking, to kill the parasite.

P.S.

If you are interested in reaching a new plane of existence, he has a group therapy every two Saturdays.  Part of the treatment including drinking some boilled-down San Pedro cactus.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/Starr_070320-5799_Echinopsis_pachanoi.jpg/330px-Starr_070320-5799_Echinopsis_pachanoi.jpg

I am curious to know how Giardia was diagnosed with a blood test.  It is relatively common in the US--people get it from drinking water from streams or inadequately treated well water but I have never heard of a blood test to diagnose.  Would appreciate the information.
St. Louis warmed up to 51 degrees today!!  15 and snow tomorrow.  Go Blues!

CB48 wrote:

I am curious to know how Giardia was diagnosed with a blood test.  It is relatively common in the US--people get it from drinking water from streams or inadequately treated well water but I have never heard of a blood test to diagnose.  Would appreciate the information.
St. Louis warmed up to 51 degrees today!!  15 and snow tomorrow.  Go Blues!

I could be confuisng the sequence of events or how the conclusion was reached.  He was relaying to me how he reached this conclusion and it might have been the conversation with another doctor that might have been the most important factor.

Plus he has a quantum energy machine that does diagnois of these things..  This page may explain.

P.S.
I am only the messenger.