Where's the best place in Manila to buy a new laptop?

I get the impression that laptops are higher in the Philippines than in other SEA countries.  Am I right on that?

I'd almost be tempted to fly to another country, e.g. SK, and buy one there but I know that the airfare would result in the net price being higher than I'd pay here.

Assuming that I can't find somebody in the US to bring me one, can somebody recommend the best place to laptop shop in Manila?

I've noticed that the shops around here have a pretty dismal selection.  I want a screen larger than the 14" that most stores seem to carry.  I've also noticed the HPs sell at a premium...right?

Regards,
Art

Most laptops sold in Philippines follow SRPS (Suggested Retail Prices) just like other appliances.  You can haggle a little bit to get further discounts specially if you pay in cash.  However, the price will not be far from other SEA nations specially with the Peso being strong right now.  For peace of mind get them from brick and mortar stores.  They are usually located in clusters so price comparison is very easy.  If you want the best bang for the buck and all the bells and whistle you can order from the States and have it shipped here via Johnny Air or other courier services.  Last time I checked is that Johnny Air charges $6.50/lb + $5 handling fee +12% VAT and about $50 flat customs/tax fee.  So the lighter and higher the value the better.

If you live near Quezon City Area, you might want to try checking Gilmore Area ( in front of St. Paul University Q.C )

already tried looking for laptops in Gilmore Area, but the prices are almost the same as what you can find in malls (like SM).

at one time, I bought a notebook  at SM North which was cheaper by almost a thousand pesos compared to Gilmore,

plus Gilmore shops accept CASH only , not even Debit cards for payment. that was a bit more than 3 years ago.. maybe they changed.

Hi Art.

I just arrived in Manila yesterday and I have a 4 month old Apple MacBook Air 11-inch with Apple care/warranty (hardware) still valid. I upgraded the memory to 8GB and paid 10.900 RMB (1.750$) from the Apple store. I have laptop case and HDMI cables etc and it is in perfect condition. I am selling it for 40 000 PHP (950$)or your best offer. Here are the specs and my phone number and email.

Latest MacBook Air 11-inch with Apple care hardware warranty still valid. 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz, 8GB Memory, 64GB Flash, Intel HD Graphics 4000 in Manila call *** *** 40 000 PHP or Best Offer Accepted! HDMI cable, laptop case etc included!

Regards,

Christian

Where's best place to buy a 2nd laptop? Is it Greenhills, and some tips?
I prefer Macbook Air/Macbook Pro.

Thanks!

If you prefer cash and if you are skilled in haggling. Please try Gilmore

MeoMun wrote:

Where's best place to buy a 2nd laptop? Is it Greenhills, and some tips?
I prefer Macbook Air/Macbook Pro.

Thanks!

Hi,

Have you already bought a Macbook?

(Moderated: Please post in the section buy and sell computers and laptops in Manila)

I doubt if you get genuine products in Greenhills, try Greenbelt

try looking at their webpage first store.apple.com/ph

There are actually a lot of places to buy a laptop. But before I buy one, I first ask the seller where I can bring the item for repair in case it gets damaged, because it's really a hassle for me to drive long and far to have a broken item repaired. (Traffic here in Metro Manila is really really bad. It could take hours to get to a service center, and then wait for a long time for your turn to get service.)  I ask them, do I have to go to the brand's service center, or could I just bring it to the store who will then bring it to the service center? If the drive for repairs would take too long from where I live or work, I'll look at other brands or buy from somewhere else.

I highly recommend shopping on line. I was able to get a great deal off Best Buy's website. Then you can send it through Johnny Air. Their shipping rates are very affordable and fast. The laptop was about 1000 USD but I declared it at just a hundred US to pay the minimum shipping fee for electronics. You can check their website to see the shipping rates johnnyaircargo.com.ph. They don't go through too much red tape in the Philippine Bureau of Customs compared to the regular mail service, which is why I got the laptop in just 7 days and in perfect condition!

Gilmore in qc is the best pc and laptop depot in the philippines. It's near st. Paul university. Pm me so I could accompany you

Its has the cheapest price.

Hi, there. I hope this would be helpful. blog.pawnhero.ph/8-best-budget-laptops-this-2015-starting-from-p8000/ :)

Hi Meg:

Thanks very much for your info. Actually I left Manila in January 2014 and went to Ras al Khaimah (UAE) for a year and I've been in Barranquilla, Colombia, SA now for almost 6 months. I'm using the HP that I bought in UAE where they are very cheap b/c there's apparently no tax on them there. So far this maching is holding up pretty well although I really don't like W8 at all.

But it was nice of you to provide the info. I know Johny Air. I never had a chace to use them but they sound like a good company. Best Buy of course...I'm very familiar with.

Regards,
Art
about.me/artwilliams

If there is not a local store nearby, maybe it is a better idea to buy online. For example, you can go and check out the Amazon best sellers laptops, other options maybe eBay and BestBuy, and more. They may also offer free shipping.

i suggest mega mall varies of things u can choose.