Just bought a lot in corozal

Hi,
we have just bought a lot in Corozal and have two questions (for now! LOL)
  First, which bank in Corozal people recommend for transfering money into from Canada and paying bills in Belize.  I've read some stuff online that some people have huge problems with lineups and honesty.
  Second, a lawyer to help with deciding which residency option to come into belize on and how to set up the accounts.
  thankyou for now!
Deanna

Congrats ! Were you in Belize  for Easter as well? We just got back from Placencia. yesterday  Did you buy in a development?
As for a lawyer  when we bought out lots we used a lady in Belize city . She was very thorough  and we were very pleased with her. I am not sure what she does if it is just land dealings or not  but her name is Tania Moody at Barrow and Williams. I can give you her e-mail private message me if you like , I am not sure if they will take it off of here if I give her e-mail.

Yes! Very exciting!
I think we are okay for a lawyer for the land purchase, wanted one for the immigration though.
No, can't get back untill fall now.
Yes, we bought in consejo shores, by Corozal.
Did you do your immigration/citizenship yet?

sunnybrook77 wrote:

Second, a lawyer to help with deciding which residency option to come into belize on and how to set up the accounts.
  thankyou for now!
Deanna

Hi Deanna,

You shouldn't need a lawyer to help determine this -- we know many people who have become residents (QRP or PR) without a lawyer.  Here's an excellent article online by Lan Sluder that will give you plenty of information to get you started:

http://www.belizefirst.com/QRPUpdate.htm

You can also ask specific questions on this forum, and join the "Belize Expats" group on Facebook as well.  Many have been there, done that and will be glad to share their experiences and knowledge.  We were on tourist visa for 18 months but never filed for residency since we decided after our first year that we were not going to be staying in Belize.

I hope this helps a bit!

Emily

Agree totally with CaribeGal. I have applied for acceptance in to the QRP and have taken care of everything myself (well you do need to get the copies of pages (every page whether used or not) of your passport notarised by a JP (the explanatory notes state that a Notary must sign them but they do accept this being done by a JP). And you will have to get a Criminal Record Report (easily obtained from our local police station in San Pedro).

We just now await clearance by Interpol and we should be 'good to go'. Hopefully not much more than another 5/6 weeks and I will have QRP status. If this is the case it will have taken around 12 weeks from application to approval.

Good luck with your application.

You are such a wealth of information, THANKYOU.  dind't know there was a facebook page also, so will definetly join that too

welcome to corzal... we live here too and love it

Jaanyvr wrote:

welcome to corzal... we live here too and love it

Are you right in corozal?? Do you have a blog or pics??

sunnybrook77
We have been with Atlantic Bank for 15 years and have not had any problems except for a couple of technical issues. We pay BEL and BTL online, and also transfer funds from Canada.

Brigitte B wrote:

sunnybrook77
We have been with Atlantic Bank for 15 years and have not had any problems except for a couple of technical issues. We pay BEL and BTL online, and also transfer funds from Canada.

That is the kind of info that is priceless.  Are you dealing in Corozal??  Are you just exchanging funds when you transfer direct? or are you using a brokerage house?

Brigitte B wrote:

sunnybrook77

I would like to transfer funds into my Atlantic Bank from Canada.  How is this done and what information do I need?  Do you do this through a bank or something like Western Union?

wanttotravelmore wrote:
Brigitte B wrote:

sunnybrook77

I would like to transfer funds into my Atlantic Bank from Canada.  How is this done and what information do I need?  Do you do this through a bank or something like Western Union?

I'm sure Brigitte can respond with the best details, I tried Western Union and it turned out to be a bad deal, worse than our local Servus Credit Union in alberta

I use the Atlantic.Bank ATM to withdraw $$$ from my US PNC Bank.  I simply put in my debit card, enter my 4 digit code, and, like magic, Belizean $$ comes out.  If my debit (Visa) didn't work at Atlantic Bank, I woul try Scotia Bank or Belize Bank.  Wgphen I need a large amount if Belizean money, I connect with a moneychanger and write a check on my US account.  This seems to work as well.  In addition, I use my PayPal account to transfer money as needed and I pay all my US bills online from my US account.  I'm still surprised at how easily everything has worked.  When I shop in Chetumal I use my credit card. This also works wonderfully.

Cathiekl wrote:

Wgphen I need a large amount if Belizean money, I connect with a moneychanger and write a check on my US account.  This seems to work as well.

May I ask how you connect with a money changer?  Do you do that online also? Or do they have offices in Belize??

What is money charger??

Money changer.  Someone who can change US $$$ to Belizean money. BTW, US dollars are accepted everywhere here in Belize.

I was jsut reading someones blog and discovered information on this.  was funny, he said a friend took him to a fellows place, gave him a cheque and he got a better exchange rate than at a bank, only in Belize!

sunnybrook77 wrote:
wanttotravelmore wrote:
Brigitte B wrote:

sunnybrook77

I'm sure Brigitte can respond with the best details, I tried Western Union and it turned out to be a bad deal, worse than our local Servus Credit Union in alberta

Go to your financial institution have then send a wire, in US funds, to:

Atlantic Bank
Corner Freetown Rd/Cleghorn Street
Belize City
Belize, Central America
Phone: 011-501-223-4123

SWIFT: LIBABZBZ

The only other information you will need is your account number and the exact name the account is in.

Charges will depend on your bank. Atlantic Bank's incoming wire fee is BZ $ 45.00, I think.

You should also fill out a wire/transfer of funds form at your Atlantic Bank branch.

EXCELLENT information, thankyou so much

Just moved to Corozal, where do all the expats hang out?

4evrHawk wrote:

Just moved to Corozal, where do all the expats hang out?

A lot of them will be at Art in e Park on Saturday evening.  It's in the main plaza in downtown Corozal and begins about 7pm. Third Saturday of each month.  Lots of expats attend and enjoy.

Thxs for the info

If you are looking for booze and burgers and bar talk, go to Jam Rock.   there were several there yesterday afternoon around 4pm when I went to pick up some food.

And Jam Rock has the BEST onion rings I've ever tasted!

Thxs everybody...Jam Rock sounds like the place...I could use a good burger.