Yoga teacher from USA and her family on the way!

We are from So. CAlifornia now in Hawaii moving to KL.
My husband is in advertising and I am a yoga teacher/ft mom.

Any out there who could tell me their experience with private schools for 1st grader?
What about real Yoga classes?
Any spiritual/hippy/chic expats out there?
How is it making friends?
And is it safe??? I'm very worried! (I know not very yogic of me, but I've even heard your child can be kidnapped for randsome!

its actually safe here, not as dangerous as you think , but of course you need to educate your children not to simply follow strangers away or just ignore some strangers if they are trying to lure them away to some where , and always stay in the school compound and wait for the parents :)

Cheers!

The murder rate is about one-fourth of what it is in the USA.

Mainly in KL it's petty crime, reaching up into muggings. Bag snatchings are common, sometimes aggressive. Anyone who's lived in an American city will feel fine here.

OOps I just made a mistake and deleted the following post :

Welcome to Malaysia!

1. there are many private international schools here, for opinions of other parents have a look here:
international schools KL

2. there are lots of yoga classes in KL, for example:
yoga

3. surprisingly there are more spiritual groups in KL and sourrounding as I expected. Mostly run by chinese and indian Malaysians, sure you will find some other expats there:
eagles nest
lightworks
light on earth

4. if you are looking for other expats:
expat mingle

5. Malaysia is a safe and peacefull country:
"Malaysia is a peaceful and secure country, according to a statistic of the organisation "Vision of Humantiy", Malaysia belongs to the 30 peaceful countries on earth. The criminal statistic also says: robbery: much better than Sweden France UK Canada, homicides: better than New Zealand and much better than USA,  burglaries: ten times less than in Australia (source Malaysia Social Statistic 2000-2006) Moreover, there are no major natural disasters in Malaysia as in many neighboring countries, no volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and typhoons."
Have a look at the ranking for the "global peace index" here:
http://sites.google.com/site/malaysiaau … erungsland

Not so sure I agree with a lot of Julien's comments, my husband having been a snatch victim which resulted in knee surgery, home burglaries in our complex resulting in a woman being hit over the head and slashed with a knife and the list goes on. We have been here 13mths and are keen to leave this "peaceful" place. Having said that, there is lots of places to visit and things to see and do and a good expat community. Check out expatkl for additional information.

I am a Malaysian. I've travelled to many parts of Asia from first world to third world countries. I also used to work in Montreal and Toronto for some time and I could tell you KL is a safe city. There are plenty of world class fitness centers in KL and you could teach YOGA if you like.

Welcome to Malaysia.
Kris

Miss:Feilyn cabilas
Hello mr or miss im feilyn looking for a nanny job and i read that you are here in Malaysia im a Filipino living here in Malaysia in KL and if you need a nanny just inform me..recommendation i can provide TNX

flynns, you should also post in the classifieds

KL is teeming with many international private schools and factions of spiritual gurus running yoga classes. You can expect a warm welcome from the friendly people of KL while enjoying safe and more secure environment than any of the American city. Wishing you a good time in KL!!

Hi there, did your move go well? My family and I are relocating in September from NZ due to my husband receiving an internal job transfer, we were in KL last month sorting out schools and housing. Which school did you end up sending your children to? We are leaning towards ELC but have yet to check out Tenby School in  Setia Eco park which we have heard is also very good. We were very impressed with ELC.

Hello kiwi4,

I own a home in the gated and guarded commucity of Valencia which is within walking distance to ELC. i just sent you an e-mail. Let me know if you are interested. I am not a real estate agent.

Best Regards

Mike Silvia

Mike, you should also post in the classifieds section ;)

If you are still alive living in America this long certainly you will be okay here and you would be treated VIP/

Nobody will kidnap your children/you should not read and see CNN CNBC type of biased Channels.

So its a good move to come here in Malaysia