Migrate with children

Hi

I need more information regards to children education in Gosford.
My husband is currently in australia holding a 457 visa.
Planning to bring the family over next year.
However i am very concern about my 10 yr old boy education.
Can anyone give me more advise on this issue ?
As per the school fee for foreign and the school hours etc.

Hi jacheng,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

You could also have a look at other threads on the New South Wales forum.

Hope you will get advise very soon.

Best of luck,
Christine

I have worked in schools plus attended some in the Central coast area. Though it's always best to look at the Board of Studies website or have your husband visit a local school and ask for information regarding fees for foreign students if there are any.

However i can let you know in regards to school hours

Children generally arrive at primary school between 8:00 am and 9-9:30 am. School starts at 9:00am generally with assembly and will go to approx to 3:00pm for a 6 hour day this will include two breaks of recess and lunch recess taking place for 20 minutes at 11am and lunch starting at 1pm and going to about 2pm roughly with lunch broken up into 2 halves of 30 minutes one for sitting down and eating and courtyard play til the second half at which point they can go out to the bigger areas once food has been eaten.

The years are as follows Kindergarten starts at 5yrs with some ages starting between 4 and 6 due to month intakes.

Year 1 - 6 yr olds, Year 2 - 7 yr olds, Year 3 - 8 yr olds, Year 4 - 9 yr olds, Year 5 - 10 yr olds, Year 6 - 11 yr olds. After which they are sent to high school if you decide to go public education, there are private schools which follow a different setup however this is the public school system for a baseline.

Public high schools are a co-ed system which educates the students from Year 7 (grade 1 as some people may know it) to Year 12 (Grade or Form 6). Children are required to go to school until about 16 yrs old which is year 10 after which its optional to continue to Y11 and 12. Generally most kids will just keep going and then go onto university.

Hopefully this has helped as regarding foreign rules to attending schools I can't help there

The children of workers here on 457 visas have to pay $4000 per child each year for education.

Hi , thank you everyone for the reply...however I don't need the info anymore..
The sad thing is my husband met with an accident on 23mar and he had lost his life in the car accident in Australia... While we are planning to join him there , god took him away ...

I'm so sorry for your loss.