English Teaching Job WITHOUT a degree qualification

Hi everyone..

Does anyone know if a NATIVE English-speaker, born in the UK (FEMALE) is able to get a job as an English teacher in Riyadh?

I have HEARD some women have, but to what extent is this true?

If anyone knows anything, please post on this topic!

Thank you.

Dear emeraldsaregreen,

A native speaker can work without a university degree in Asia, in some countries like Thailand and Phillippines. The salary would be very low, though.

As for Saudi Arabia and other gulf or middle eastern countries, they prefer native speakers with a uni.degree in any discipline in addition to a teaching qualification such as, CELTA, TESOL or TEFl; where the latter is the most important. They are in dire need of females teachers.

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards,
Rowa Douglas

roa_douglass wrote:

Dear emeraldsaregreen,

A native speaker can work without a university degree in Asia, in some countries like Thailand and Phillippines. The salary would be very low, though.

As for Saudi Arabia and other gulf or middle eastern countries, they prefer native speakers with a uni.degree in any discipline in addition to a teaching qualification such as, CELTA, TESOL or TEFl; where the latter is the most important. They are in dire need of females teachers.

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards,
Rowa Douglas

Hi thanks for your response. 

I am currently in the middle of studying for my CELTA qualification.

Does this make me more employable, as you mentioned the latter is the most important??

Thanks again

CELTA is the big cheese , as they call it ...  Yes that Cambridge Uni. qualification would increase your chances..

Where are you doing your CELTA?

You are the same lady who was asking for info about the Arab Open Uni. .  .

are you planning to pursue your studies at that uni.
?

roa_douglass wrote:

CELTA is the big cheese , as they call it ...  Yes that Cambridge Uni. qualification would increase your chances..

Where are you doing your CELTA?

I'm currently doing my CELTA qualification at Warwickshire College.

Are employers lighter on the women with regards to the degree requirement, as opposed to men?

roa_douglass wrote:

You are the same lady who was asking for info about the Arab Open Uni. .  .

are you planning to pursue your studies at that uni.
?

See the thing is IF I am unable to get an English teaching job, then I'm CONSIDERING a degree.

I don't really want to go that route, as 3 years is looong.

That is why I want to know if I come to Riyadh, will my CELTA qualification be sufficient to land me a job?

I wish you all the best in all your CELTA. It takes one month to have it done..

They are in dire need of females instructors and this might be helpful for you if you are willing to spend at least one year here. This comes in handy.  As for men, they require a degree and CELTA. 

But , Do you know how life is in Riyadh, especially for women? and why did you choose it as your next endeavour?

Are you married or ??

emeraldsaregreen wrote:

I am currently in the middle of studying for my CELTA qualification. 
Does this make me more employable, as you mentioned the latter is the most important??

It's great that you're completing the CELTA.  Unfortunately, your lack of both a degree and classroom experience (gained post-CELTA) aren't likely to land you a teaching job at a language school or university foundation program despite the demand for female teachers. To get an idea of what employers require, check out the various job postings for KSA teaching opportunities on Dave's ESL Cafe.

I saw that you hope to start a BA program while in Riyadh.  Once you get settled in Riyadh, also consider connecting with the British Council about possibly helping out in some capacity as a volunteer.  They can offer you guidance as well.

Good luck!

@smurfette

You are right, but remember that CELTA contains a number of observed teaching lessons plus the advantage of being a native English speaker from England.

It all depends on the school . They can arrange a working visa, not mainly as a teacher. I know some English speakers who are employed that way , but with less salary..

What do you think about that ?

roa_douglass wrote:

@smurfette

You are right, but remember that CELTA contains a number of observed teaching lessons plus the advantage of being a native English speaker from England.

It all depends on the school . They can arrange a working visa, not mainly as a teacher. I know some English speakers who are employed that way , but with less salary..

Thanks, this response was more encouraging than that of smurfette.
I too know of females who have got jobs in KSA without a degree, and only a CELTA.

roa_douglass wrote:

@smurfette

A lower salary is not an issue for me.

I love the KSA, just being able to live there, makes the "lower" salary not important to me.

roa_douglass wrote:

@smurfette

I teach in a university foundation program, so I'm unaware of where a native speaker with zero teaching experience can teach. My understanding was that she'd have to possess a degree if she's to legally work as a teacher.  Anyway, that's why I suggested the BC; perhaps they can advise the OP as to what's available for someone with minimal qualifications.  By the way, she stated in another thread that she was coming to live in KSA at the end of the year after she gets married.

@smurfette

I guess that consulting the BC school in KSA is the best option. They can give her the best advice.

KSA is unlike South Korea for instance, where they are unable to process any working visa for sm1 to teach. In KSA , they can hire her as an admin or an assistant for instance.

You know the system here, don't you ?
How long have you been teaching in Jeddah?

emeraldsaregreen wrote:

I too know of females who have got jobs in KSA without a degree, and only a CELTA.

Fair enough, although my comments and advice weren't meant to discourage.  But frankly, if you know women who specifically got teaching jobs without having a university degree, why are you not asking them these questions and networking with them?  I'm not being flippant, but that just seems logical.

Anyway, good luck with your job hunt.

smurfette wrote:
emeraldsaregreen wrote:

Fair enough, although my comments and advice weren't meant to discourage.  But frankly, if you know women who specifically got teaching jobs without having a university degree, why are you not asking them these questions and networking with them?  I'm not being flippant, but that just seems logical.

Anyway, good luck with your job hunt.

Because I don't have their contacts.

If I HAD their contacts I wouldn't have started a post here!

Two heads are better than one and advice is ever in want.

roa_douglass wrote:

@smurfette

I guess that consulting the BC school in KSA is the best option. They can give her the best advice.

KSA is unlike South Korea for instance, where they are unable to process any working visa for sm1 to teach. In KSA , they can hire her as an admin or an assistant for instance.

You know the system here, don't you ?
How long have you been teaching in Jeddah?

I've been in the Kingdom for a year---this is the 3rd Mid East country I've lived in.  I was hired directly from the US (via an employment visa) and not recruited locally.  I teach at a government university where the English language instructors must have certain educational degrees and teaching qualifications.  This is why there's a shortage of female teachers---applicants who don't meet the requirements aren't given a second look.  Staff (admin/clerical) positions are filled by Saudi women (per nitaqat) and not expats.  I suppose the 'system' you're referring to isn't what I've experienced.

@smurfette

I agree with you.Employment visa means that you are working legally and that is the normal form . Although they can work out things from under the table. The most important thing is that they are able to issue an Iqama for you owing to the fact that you can do nothing without it ..

Tell me , how do you find female students? I hope they are better than our male students..

roa_douglass wrote:

Tell me , how do you find female students? I hope they are better than our male students..

Ha! My girls claim they're better students than the boys! I'm fortunate to have students on a science track, which means they're serious about learning and therefore, are more motivated. They're not perfect, and they struggle at times, but they make me smile each day, even when they're being a bit feisty.

Time to sign off; I need my energy for class...

Yes , that is what I thought . All students are the same..
At least you are happy with your job..

Yes save your energy for tomorrow and thanks for communicationg..

Take care.

Hello there can any one give me some usefull advice. My wife has a phychology degree with tefl and 2 years english teaching experience and I only have a celta with 2 years teaching experience. Is it possible for us both to get a teaching job in saudi???Thank you

takm16 wrote:

Hello there can any one give me some usefull advice. My wife has a phychology degree with tefl and 2 years english teaching experience and I only have a celta with 2 years teaching experience. Is it possible for us both to get a teaching job in saudi???Thank you

Repeating my response to you from the Jeddah forum... Check out the ESL Cafe's international job board (http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/) to see what qualifications Saudi employers currently require.

emeraldsaregreen wrote:
roa_douglass wrote:

@smurfette

Yes, however, it's getting increasing difficult to do this, especially with the new laws. Also, it may work for expat dependent wives, but I don't know that you'd be able to enter Saudi on an employment visa without a degree. They're pretty strict about you having some sort of Bachelor's degree for teacher visas.

The only people I've heard of teaching without a degree have been trailing spouses at small local schools (and the pay is abysmal).

However, this isn't to say it hasn't happened at the university level. As noted above, there are all kinds of ways *around* laws here if a person/entity is 'creative' and/or has the right connections!

takm16 wrote:

Please check your PM and respond back ASAP

I want to ask that if someone has a degree of ELT but she is not a native English speaker than what are the chances of getting the job in saudi arabia.

There are little  chances coz i know two of my friends teaching here as they have certification though they are not  native language is not English.

In which place are they teaching in riyadh .

The Fugitive wrote:

There are little  chances coz i know two of my friends teaching here as they have certification though they are not  native language is not English.

Aren't you contradicting your own statement or am I reading something wrong ???

BTW@ Drteh- chances are less if you are not a native speaker.

U can do jome tuitions

Dr Teh, There are loads of non-native teachers here but nearly all have a degree in English of some kind.  It's very difficult for schools to recruit women in general so sometimes women without teaching qualifications will be employed.

The original poster posted this a year ago - it'd be good to find out if she made it or not  :)