Flying In From Kuwait.

Hey there,I need a couple days out of Kuwait to renew my visa I'm flying in from Kuwait this Friday.

I've lived in Canada my whole life the middle east is a tad new to me, even though I was born here it doesn't really feel like home, however, I digress.

I'll be interested to meet literally anyone for a drink and dialogue.

Oh, gosh. almost forgot, can anyone recommend reasonable priced motels/hotels I can stay at, I'm not planning on really staying in much.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Das.

Hello Dasanism,

Thank you for your post. However you've posted in Bahrain forum. You would have got more visibility if you have used Kuwait Expat forum. I'm sure one of the team members will move your post to Kuwait.

Hey Brightonguy, Thanks for your reply.  I'm well aware I posted in Bahrain Expat Forum, I'm traveling to Bahrain and would like Bahrain residents to see/reply. Not Kuwaiti residents, would defeat the purpose of wanting to meet anyone in Bahrain if it was posted in Kuwait... wouldn't it?

Das.

Oh sorry, it wasn't clear on your post as it sounded like you are travelling to Kuwait and looking for a hotel in Kuwait. My bad.

There are number of budget hotels in Bahrain, such as Oriental Palace Hotel, Awal Hotel and Atlas Hotel. But you can also check Hotels.com or Booking.com for further comparison and prices.

Don't worry about it dude, I assume "from Kuwait" Gave it away. It is early though. :P. Thanks for the links, I'm probably gonna hail a cabby and from the advice of a couple friends I should head to Exhibition road (Seedy area I was told) and grab a 10-15BD room.

Nevertheless I still would love to meet anyone that resides in Bahrain. Any takers yet?

He he. The title was good too lol. I'm flying to India tonight so cant meet for a drink. When you get a cab ensure it has a meter or it isn't a cab. Don't go too seedy as this week and next are the 2nd year anniversary of the riots and trouble is predicted

Did you sort your visa Jo?

brightonguy wrote:

Did you sort your visa Jo?

I hope so. They said it will be ready this morning.  Will call and check in a bit and let you know.

Good luck!

Josnuggles, I'll take a rain-check, next time we're both in the same country.

Also, do you really think people have been pre-meditating celebrating the anniversary of the riots? I'd assume there isn't really a set date and people are strange, anything could happen at anytime really. Amber Lyon a reporter covering the Arab Spring in Bahrain wrote about the government use of tear gas as a UN approved peace method, She was detained at gun point by machine guns. However, I won't have a camera or a crew :P.

Thanks for the heads up.

Enjoy your trip to India, Such a beautiful country, rich in culture and wildlife :)

Dasanism wrote:

Also, do you really think people have been pre-meditating celebrating the anniversary of the riots? I'd assume there isn't really a set date and people are strange, anything could happen at anytime really. Amber Lyon a reporter covering the Arab Spring in Bahrain wrote about the government use of tear gas as a UN approved peace method, She was detained at gun point by machine guns. However, I won't have a camera or a crew :P.

Thanks for the heads up.

Enjoy your trip to India, Such a beautiful country, rich in culture and wildlife :)

Morning Dasanim, welcome to the ''Forum'' (Lol)
you had two queries, right? The drink and the hotel...For the first I wish you Luck finding someone who wants to join you and for the second I ll send you a PM regarding the name of the Hotel, as here is not allowed to Advertising...
Regarding  the 'riot anniversary' you are completely right: anything could happen at any time, but the MOI (Ministry of Interior) has everything under control, so no false alarmism allowed too... The one who are afraid can leave anytime... together with Amber Lyon...
Have a nice time here!

Dasanism wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.

Thank you re my trip, I am looking forward to it (if visa's arrive)

The OFFICIAL information regarding the anniversary of the riots is below:

To mark the second year anniversary of events on and around 14 February 2011, the Opposition political societies have called for protests on a daily basis until 16 February. We also expect other protests and disruption in various areas of Bahrain to continue. As a result, we advise British nationals in Bahrain to maintain a high level of security awareness and to exercise caution, particularly in public places and on the roads, and to avoid large crowds and demonstrations.

http://bahrain.usembassy.gov/demonstration.html

The embassies, not only the Uk and Usa, very often send us expats warnings, and it is fine, they are here ''to protect'' us, that s their job...
It is however sad that people  use them just to support their idea and their feeling and to spread  alarmism ... (that shows how shallow is their 'love' for this country!)

Sorry for the OFF Topic

Thank you greatly Anna66, Much appreciated.

I realized no one is really interested in meeting strangers in the flesh, so like any trip I will rely on spontaneity. If it happens I'll accept it, if not, well then I've earned not only travelers point(lol) but the experience of visiting Bahrain.

Thanks again guys.

Anna66, I don't believe alarmism and love for the country are connected. I can love my country but also be vigilant and aware of the state it's in. Yes, I agree that the embassies do send warnings and attention notices to protect us and kind'a tell us that they are also there with us, "we're in the loop too guys" for any feminist reading this... (I don't use guys in a derogatory context :P)

We went off topic as soon as brightonguy asked josnuggles about her visa... -_-  So no worries at all hehe

Dasanism wrote:

Anna66, I don't believe alarmism and love for the country are connected. I can love my country but also be vigilant and aware of the state it's in. Yes, I agree that the embassies do send warnings and attention notices to protect us and kind'a tell us that they are also there with us, "we're in the loop too guys" for any feminist reading this... (I don't use guys in a derogatory context :P)

We went off topic as soon as brightonguy asked josnuggles about her visa... -_-  So no worries at all hehe

I respect your opinion, everyone here is entitle to express their idea!! Still I do believe that if you love someone or something, you will never try to put it in 'bad light' in any form... And   predicting in a public forum that something can happen only because I got a warning and I am scared, means preventig  people to come here (loss in the economy)....and not trusting the good job that the MOI is doing (No trust= no Love)lol!

Yeah completely off topic!

All I have been trying to do is inform a member of the public about what MAY happen so that the individual can make up their own mind on what to do. Once informed that person can google the situations here, look on the forum and become more informed.

I am in no way trying to scare anyone as you suggest Anna, but doing my duty in keeping them informed as I have already said.

Dasanism I hope you have a lovely time here in Bahrain and come visit again but with more notice so that we could organise a few of us to meet up for drinks.

Josnuggles wrote:

He he. The title was good too lol. I'm flying to India tonight so cant meet for a drink. When you get a cab ensure it has a meter or it isn't a cab. Don't go too seedy as this week and next are the 2nd year anniversary of the riots and trouble is predicted

Thanks Mrs Murphy.... for the good job, lol!!!

as here is not allowed to Advertising...

To clarify something : we don't allow new member to post links (most of these new members are just here to advertise their compant), but active members can share anything regarding companies and services they appreciate.

By the way, this thread is getting off topic. If you would like to discuss about riots, well, I invite you to create a new thread.  Thanks !

Hi all,

I guess we can have different opinion without having one right and one wrong can't we ? Basically opinions are just different way of looking at the same thing...
As far as "alarmism" is concerned, being here since before the turmoil, all I can say is last year we were expecting the worse for mid Feb. and almost nothing happened as the ministry of interior contained most of the problems.

As far as embassies are concerned, US and UK embassies have been always a little bit over cautious and some days there were warnings for almost all areas of Bahrain ^^
I guess they don't want their fellow countrymen to feel threaten so they are a little too zealous with regards to inform people.
If you check most of the other embassies, they are less quantity but more accurate warnings as they check their informations before sharing.

:offtopic: I know... but hey... I'm free am I not ?   :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cheers

Olivier

All I wanted was a little bit of company... I guess it's just me and Paul Butterfield tonight.

Dasanism wrote:

All I wanted was a little bit of company... I guess it's just me and Paul Butterfield tonight.

:sosad::sosad::sosad:

better Butterfield  than a ? accompanied...
Next time you will have more Luck. Just more bla bla here in the forum and someone will pick you...:lol:

Haha way to much bla bla .