Reciprocal health care

I understand there is a reciprocal health care scheme with the UK, if the UK vote  to come out of theEU how will this affect matters

i think i read somewhere recently that it existed before maltas accession to the EU so altho it would be the reverse I wouldnt think it would change much if at all.....

Thanks for that,my plan is to come over for 3 months in September decide where to live return to UK tie up loose ends then return to Malta

are you in receipt of britsih state pension or reitring here early or are you expecting to work here....as this can have an impact

Have retired receiving works pension but not state pension, don't intend to work

You can apply for the RHA (Reciprocal Healthcare Agreement card) - its valid for two years and renewable every two years - this will have to be done prior to applying for residency anyway as it is currently a requirement you have adequate healthcare cover.

I received my RHA Card this morning. You can apply by post with certified (by the police) copies of passport and residence certificate or visit the office.

If you haven't got a residence certificate, you get a provisional entitlement certificate from the same office/address and use that for health care and to obtain the residence certificate. Then you apply for the RHA.

It will all make sense when you get here. Helpful and efficient staff at the office and a quick return through the post. (I did the provisional in person and the RHA through the post.)

davjones1 wrote:

I understand there is a reciprocal health care scheme with the UK, if the UK vote  to come out of theEU how will this affect matters

If the UK leaves the EU you may no longer have the right to live in Malta

georgeingozo wrote:
davjones1 wrote:

If the UK leaves the EU you may no longer have the right to live in Malta

Nice one George. Cheer everybody up mate  :lol:

"You may no longer" so you don't really know then?

davjones1 wrote:

"You may no longer" so you don't really know then?

Correct

nobody does as no country to my knowledge has left the EU yet...

There were English living in Malta long before Malta joined the EU.
So I'm not sure why georgeingozo thinks that if the UK left the EU  it would mean they would all have to leave Malta?
Most will have residency.

Imagine the affect on the Maltese economy!

Terry

Any brit who has lived in Malta for 5 years can claim long term residency,  but those with less than 5 years could face the same problems any other third country national has with getting a residency permit for more than 4 years. Malta may make a special case for brits, and probably will, but it's not guaranteed they will. Of course, brits living in every other EU country will face the same uncertainty,  as will eu people living in the UK

Thanks everyone for. The input