The Ambassador's Cuenca Talk

I would be interested to hear peoples' impressions of Ambassador Namm's talk.

I want to share an observation of one topic that was touched on. Not a huge deal, but these days you have to know where people are coming from.

I just read the Gringo Tree article about the American Ambassador's talk with Cuenca ex-pats, and a few Ecuador Freedom articles.

In the removal of Heather Hodges, Correa openly complained that one of Hodge's employeees was CIA, who I recall was said to be spying on the police. I was following Ecuador news at the time and noticed that the US didn't make a peep of protest at the accusation. 

The version given by the Ambassador, that Correa expelled her “following publication of a Wikileaks cable in which she suggested that the head of the Ecuadorian National Police was corrupt,” comes straight out out of Ecuador Freedom as well. 

Ecuador Freedom is not exactly what I would call the Fox News of Ecuador, but it is fiercely free trade and pro-business. Naturally, Uncle Sam Incorporated likes that sort of outlook.

So, a predictable anti-drug pro-US foreign policy guy. Okay. Good to know.

Did he really say ‘you people'?  Reminds me of Anne Romney.

Good observation, Bob. Some things do transpire when you read between lines... The former ambassador's dissmisal had little do to with the wikileaks publication. However, Mrs Hodges knew well who was corrupt, based on who was then known to be paid to keep Ecuador unstable. But things changed for the better.
Most US folks just want real freedom, an affordable place to live with lower taxes and contact with nature, thats the main motive to relocate. The word "freedom" in such publication is carefully selected, as well as the new US Ambassador.