Buying from street vendors advice

So your walking on a street and see something you like. You ask price and they show you their calculator with 20 aka 20 usd. In Thailand their first number is usually 300% more than the normal price. So you type in 10 and the calculator haggling begins. Of course the vendor is happy cause he already got you with a 100% extra profit over the $5 local price. So how do most living in Phnom Penh haggle when shopping from street vendors? Thanks

just bargain to pay the price that would make u happy for the thing which ure buying ... if its still too much walk away :)

depends on how much i think they're overcharging.. generally i'll offer 50% of what they ask and then work from there.

You will always pay more if you are not Cambodian, Many expats never buy from a market them selves as they will never get the cheapest price, if you live here then you send a local employee to buy for you.

If you have a business here, you don't but anything yourself, that's it.

If you are a tourist, then yes you pay what you think is okay.

Rule of thumb, you always pay too much unless the price is stated, for instance a mini mart.

samwa wrote:

depends on how much i think they're overcharging.. generally i'll offer 50% of what they ask and then work from there.

Nooooooooo.. then they'll negotiate you up to 75% and that's WAY too much.

The way I do it: they tell me what they want; I say it's WAY too much.  They ask me how much I want to pay and I give a figure that's 10% of what they asked.  I'll go back and forth up to 25% of their original price and that's it. If they don't agree, I walk away and nine times out of ten, they call me back and sell it to me.

So what's pretty amazing is that at 25% of original price, they're still making a profit lol  Which is fine, just don't think I'm an idiot due to the color of my skin!