Advice on safe, nice areas - moving to Phnom Penh December 2012

Hello everybody :)

I'm Michael, retired..My girlfriend and I will be moving to PP (Phnom Penh)in December 2012 and will stay for about 1 year.

Can I have some comments on recommended areas to rent an apartment or flat ? (what is a flat ?).

I've read about 'russian area', BKK1, BKK2, near the monument, etc. I'm retired so hopefully it will be an
area where there are things to do within walking distance - shopping, restaurants, strolls, etc..

Particulars :
Budget : rent $300-$500 per month
Area : safe, decent/nice
1 or 2 bedroom, fully furnished, washing machine
Walking distance to the Sorya mall,
Near transportation lines (bus) but not sure if this
    is really needed, I may buy a car.
swimming pool would be nice but not necessary
near : restaurants, shopping (mall), things to do

Thank you in advance...
Michael

i think bkk2 is closest to sorya mall but bkk1 is the place known for safety (due to large expat population). look for serviced apartments, maybe v trust or something.. there are no busses within the city but you're gonna have to use a tuk tuk

Thank you Samwa, your post really helps. What about the 'russian' area ? I hear a lot about that..Is it near the Sorya mall ? The 'riverside' , is it expensive ? is it like a touristy area ? (I don't mind that)

thank you everyone.
Michael

Russian market is a lot more south than sorya mall, it's closer to sovana, although i personally wouldn't walk to sovana from there. riverside is kinda expensive but still relatively cheap compared to western standards, and very touristy.

Hello michael_pp.

Concerning the flat search, the Housing in Phnom Penh section might. Do not hesitate to post an advert there. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

[Moderated]

michael_pp wrote:

Hello everybody :)

I'm Michael, retired..My girlfriend and I will be moving to PP (Phnom Penh)in December 2012 and will stay for about 1 year.

Can I have some comments on recommended areas to rent an apartment or flat ? (what is a flat ?).

I've read about 'russian area', BKK1, BKK2, near the monument, etc. I'm retired so hopefully it will be an
area where there are things to do within walking distance - shopping, restaurants, strolls, etc..

Particulars :
Budget : rent $300-$500 per month
Area : safe, decent/nice
1 or 2 bedroom, fully furnished, washing machine
Walking distance to the Sorya mall,
Near transportation lines (bus) but not sure if this
    is really needed, I may buy a car.
swimming pool would be nice but not necessary
near : restaurants, shopping (mall), things to do

Thank you in advance...
Michael

In the UK its a flat, in America its an apartment.

Interestingly in Cambodia they have both, but different, an apartment is an apartment, but a flat is an apartment above a shop with an entrance from the shop.

thanks for the explaination of a 'flat' :)

I'll will keep looking for an apt, but even though i have a few months, i'd like to find one fairly soonso I don't have any hassles once I move to PP in december.

thank you all, keep the comments coming about the main areas for foreigners to rent.

Michael

Hello!
Just wanted to chime in and say that I live in BKK1 and I love it. I can easily walk to a Western style grocery store, or do my shopping at smaller Khmer style shops. There are so many lovely cafes and restaurants in this area. I really feel safe here, even when I'm walking alone in the evening.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live near Riverside. "Touristy" doesn't begin to describe it - it's full on. When you're there, you are constantly being asked for money by children selling books, etc, and the barrage of people asking if you want a tuk-tuk, getting ready to show you the laminated pages of tourist destinations and offering to take you to orphanages is nonstop. Riverside is fun to visit once in awhile for the nice view and the good restaurants, but I couldn't take the constant tourist treatment, myself.

Cheers!

ourdearladyexpatriate wrote:

Hello!
Just wanted to chime in and say that I live in BKK1 and I love it. I can easily walk to a Western style grocery store, or do my shopping at smaller Khmer style shops. There are so many lovely cafes and restaurants in this area. I really feel safe here, even when I'm walking alone in the evening.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live near Riverside. "Touristy" doesn't begin to describe it - it's full on. When you're there, you are constantly being asked for money by children selling books, etc, and the barrage of people asking if you want a tuk-tuk, getting ready to show you the laminated pages of tourist destinations and offering to take you to orphanages is nonstop. Riverside is fun to visit once in awhile for the nice view and the good restaurants, but I couldn't take the constant tourist treatment, myself.

Cheers!

I have only recently ventured to BKK, and its quite nice there, I am a creature of habit, so it has taken me a while to discover it.

Yes, the riverside in a complete nightmare, I never walk along the road, as I cant stand the constant tuk tuk drivers chants.

And to michael_pp:

I think most places in Phnom Penh are close to shops , bars and restaurants, perhaps Camko City is a little too far for my liking though, but has new homes there.

You will however, find better deals in PP than Siem Reap, there are alot of properties for rent.

Remember to haggle well and push for extras in the apartment, make sure its fully furnished, repairs completed, 1 months deposit and 1 months rent in advance, pay no more, always try and obtain receipts for rent paid, trust no one apart from yourself.

Thank you for your experiences at the Riverside...I guess stuff like that would irritate me also though I've lived in the Philippines for 3 years and have gotten used to those things fairly well.

Thanks again.
Michael/Liza

Great tip on asking for rent receipts as I tend to be a trusting person and I suppose naive to the 'evil people' in this world.

Thank you
Michael/Liza

A friend of mine was in an apartment for a year, he paid the last month rent, which he should not have done as his deposit would have covered it.
And as he left he asked for the months deposit back, the Khmer woman said he had not made the last month rent payment, she said she could not remember him paying it, and he had no receipt, so he lost $350, he was non too happy.

There are many stories of people losing deposits, you need to be on your toes and keep all receipts, as a last resort you should seek legal advice or the tourist police to help out, even the threat may be enough, many people just walk away as they cannot do with the hassle.

Also be aware of the electricity you are paying, bills can be fiddled and electric can be stolen by your landlord, many strange things happen here with the electric bills, sometimes they just don't add up!

Also make sure that your lease mentions and locks in the water and electricity rates. I have read that some move in and 2 months later the landlord raises their rates (up to 50% more)with some BS excuse. Ideally lock the rates and if the electric company raises them, you should pay just that increase.