One-way tickets verboten?

The Exito Travel site advises that "most airlines will demand to see a return ticket within the 90 day stay parameter, and if you don't have one, they will deny your boarding and you lose your ticket".  Es verdad??

Since my intention is to stay permanently, returning to the States at 90 or 180 days only if the On-The-Ground investigation discloses that I am allergic to Cuenca, I plan only to buy the one way ticket and defer that $700 expenditure for three or six months or forever.

What can you tell me?

I came into Ecuador with a one way ticket but I came down here to work.  No hassles at any stage of the trip down.  Maybe I was lucky.  Anyway, that was a year ago and now I am going home on a one way ticket.

I'm in the same boat. I plan on going back in June to get my Visa stuff squared away ( hopefully ) and to purcahse a property. I don't know how long I'll be there, but.... don't want to stay much over 2 months, unless the Visa issue is resolved. ( I want to be able to return in 2013, so don't want to over stay the 3 month period if I don't get my Visa )
So, in the end, I don't want to tie myself down to a specific time frame.
I've heard others have not had an issue, but I'm pretty cautious, and I'd hate to be denied and lose my original ticket. When I went through immigration in Quito this past Spring, we were not asked for proof of return, only how long we planned to stay.
Any diffinitive answer, one way or the other  would be much appreciated.
Stay Well,
Neil

Neil:

I'm in love with the notion of living in Cuenca, but it is beginning to remind me of being in love with a girl who is an alcoholic: sweet, sexy, loving, great cook but, ummmm....

What made me think of that analogy is your final statement, requesting a "definitive answer".  I suspect that for beautiful, sexy, happy Cuenca there are no definitive answers. Check out Nards Barley's thread on visa, etc.  "Okay, Peeps, here's the Answer: It's A."  Next day, "Oops, it's B".  Third day, "Well, it's actually B-1, except on Thursdays....".

Yet, maybe, consider this: the only evidence I have for the boarding denial in case of no return ticket is that averation on the Exito Travel site.  Would they lie?  Does a bear **** in the woods? My thinking is strongly influenced by my year+ living in Taiwan. In that culture, there IS NO SUCH THING as moral/immoral or ethical/unethical; there is only advantage/disadvantage. Expat friends told me Middle East is identical. Ecuador too?

Maybe The Barley Solution is as close to definitive as we are gonna get: buy a refundable return ticket from Expedia; when you get to Cuenca, turn it in.  Sure beats racing down the concourse chasing the friend who drove you to the airport shouting, "Hey Fred!  Wait up!  They wouldn't let me board!"

See you in Cuenca, I hope.

Dick

Dick,
I hear ya. I was wondering if anyone would pick up the humour of " definitve " used in the same sentence as Ecuador. You jumped right on it.
So, yeah, I'm of a mind to go the safe route and book round trip and take care of it once I hit the ground.
Hope to hook up once I'm there.
Till Then,
Best
Neil
PS. You got that girls number by chance?????

Neil:

Don't have her number.  But her name is Bubbles, and she is at the bar at Redstone American Grill at Ridgedale every Friday night.

Good luck.

Dick