Simple Plans for a Simpler Life

Funny Donna, I have never seen a brown one in Belize! hahaha They are usually white. The brown ducks here are usually imported.

The thing to realize about the snakes is as long as you keep the grass short and bush under brushed, then you will rarely have to deal with snakes. We live in dense bush and the only times we really had issues was when we had the bunny rabbits close to our building.

You have to remember it is not a zoo, it is the wild. So, that means that you do not walk up and take a picture of a jaguar. There are precautions needed. My children were small when we moved to Belize. We required them to stay inside and not venture out of the house till we did a visual inspection of the area. But, my son went to a private school in Arizona were they did the same thing as it was away from the city. You do not keep clutter around the house, because snakes will hide in it. Really it all boils down to cleanliness. Tommy Golfs have 100 babies at a time and are the number one poisonous snake to deal with there. I have a picture of one but need to crop my helpers face out of it, but will post it soon. It is the mother of all snakes!! hahaha It is now on display at the Ian Anderson's Caves Branch.

We have a open air house and have camped out in the bush for the entire project. It has been the best experience of my and my kids lives. We have learned so much from it and my boy often ventures out on his own within site of the house.

U got me with the 57 years old and Harley.  I too was born in 54 and I too just got my a** off my 96 Soft Tail. So going to Belize ! I have been going there since 1980. I have two children from a woman that was born and grew up in Corozal. We met in Portland Oregon way back when, but after 20 years or so she had enough of me.  So cant for the life of me figure out why I keep still going back to Belize. Guess that solid mounted hog motor rattles me brain too much and makes me crazy, or sane, or insane.  Hey, who was it that said if we weren't all crazy, we all would be insane. Love Belize, not everyone does, which in my opinion makes it a better place to live. Read in a travel book years ago, Corozal is a diamond in the rough. Doesn't seem to change much.. that can be good or bad, depends on which way u look at things maybe.
  We do have Chet next door.  That is huge. love that town. Not only for the medical, but gas, auto and cycle parts, food, ect. Don't hold it against me but I have a couple of Honda's in Belize. I think you are doing the right thing going down and checking it out first. Over the years I have seen and known families that have sold everything and gone south, only to later realize belize is not for them. Seems to be tough on the kids.
  So my story, I buy a double lot with a home that is just started in a village called San Antonio where my ex grew up. Needed a project I guess.  Then this good ol boy from Bama starts developing 7 acres across the street from me as a RV Park and a place for vets to come chill. I am part time, he is living there full time. We become close over the years and he sells me the place a few years back. I have been living and wrenching on the place the last 6 months. So now, my girl here in Texas (do we ever learn) asks why do we have to have two places in your ex wifes village. Good question. The RV park is for sale. Gonna hurt selling this place. "Butch" did such a incredible job developing this place.. I just put on finishing touches. Pictures do not do this place justice. U don't get the breeze or birds singing with photos. The more I worked on this place, the more it got a hold of me. "Therapeutic" was a word used by one special person.
  Check my place out by going to Real Estate in Belize  Vivium.  and I believe on the third or so page is farm or ranch for sale. I will be back in Corozal in a week or two, get back to me if u wish to hook up..  In Brownsville Texas now, and can help u find the road south also.. be safe and good luck  uncle dug

I did some more researching on the Muscovy ducks and discovered, much to my delight, a lavender hen! Since purple is my favorite color, I figured what better than to have a lavender duck! I couldn't quite see it being lavender in the picture, but I'm guessing you can tell when you see it in person.

There is still so much more to learn, discover and I am ready to begin the exploration. Waiting is the hardest part for me, but I know when it is time to start, I won't nearly be ready!

Oh well, guess I'll have to be!

Uncle Doug,

I looked it up, and the place looks great! Wow. Lawn. I dunno about all that. lol Look, I am in the midst of an organizational change and development class and have homework due or I'd spend more time chatting about some of what you posted.

I want to get back to the thread soon with more questions and thoughts...the weekend looks like it holds the most hope of that!

Thanks to all who have posted here so far. Those on the way, and those already there. Who knew? So many interesting stories!

There is actually the starting of a Harley shop in BC. They were giving away a used Sporty a year or so ago. Fun stuff. When I was able to work in AZ I used to paint and stretch a lot of scooters. At one point I was up to customizing 35 a month. Crazy work there.

But, I have been in Belize and have seen two Harley's drive by my house on the Hummingbird. I tried to get a couple of local kids into doing some custom stuff, but they just were not very interested. lol

I always thought a Honda 600 shadow to be a good candidate for making a killer mini-bobber. That's the "V-Twin of choice" in Jamaica, or was.

They called them Honda Davidson's Back in the 60's/70's/80's in AZ. There was a bike shop on Apache Blvd and Price that used to build a bunch of them, guys name was Frank. They would modify a Harley frame turning it into a hardtail chopper with a heavy rake up front. Then drum brake rear, no front brakes of front fender, stretched way the hell out in front. They would then slap a honda motor and many had a little nuke added. Fast as hell, reliable, and pretty cool looking. Knew many a HA that ran those when no one else was around. hahahah

Just a question to Mom and Plans , did you think , about your daughter future ?
Short 9 years from now she will fully understand consequences
of your move .
What about her  adult life, recognized education,
profession allowing her to be independent woman, boyfriends "like dad", even entertainment , music, fashion , make-up , flashy car, club, variety of food, drink etc.
You do not care about it now , but how it was when you were 18, 20, 21 ?
She is going to watch American movies , and how many another teenagers all over the word, she is going to believe , this is real life in USA . The most likely she will not have opportunity
to verify it . She is going to be from Belize , very third world country .
Did you really think about it long and hard ?
Surely, I can be wrong, maybe you have fortune large enough ,
to send her back, or to another developed country ( language), in few years from now, and finance her life and education. If this is the case, my apology, but if not...hmm.   

regards e

as for driving through mexico, you will probably have to pay off police or soldiers and driving that truck they going to want more, i have 2 friends that pickup used vehicles in texas and drive them to belize. last week one of them got ripped off 200 bucks and the other 300 bucks by law enforcement in mexico. i live in cayo district, theres a medical clinicin san ignacio. dr's godoy from guatemala city, they have exray, lab, 3d ultrasound operating theatre. they charged $1500 u.s for a c section for my daughters birth. dr godoy (husband) speaks perfect english, dr godoy(mrs) not as good. $25 u.s per visit. and they provide surgical services to the hospitals in cayo district. cayo is about 2 hrs drive to coast, we have hills and jungles. where i live in benque , the schools are in (sort of) english. cayo is a very affordable area to live in land wise as well as food compared to the rest of belize, and is very popular with expats. make sure you have all your shot certificates for your dogs. ive lived in cayo for almost 8 years have stepped barefoot on one scorpion and only seen a few. on the coast theres more scorpions. snakes are here but only a few are dangerous, my wife is maya so to her any snake is bad but i leave alive the ones that eat other snakes and rats. unless you live out in the bush with trees near the house you wont see very many snakes in belize.they dont like to cross open areas much because owls or hawks can get them so always good to not allow tall grass in your yard. have a safe trip down.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the input, find it very informative as this is what Im hoping to do in 5 years. The area that interests me the most is Maya beach. Spent 2 weeks in Placencia and totally loved it. Have travelled to many places, but Belize is an incredible place and the people are awesome, just love their attitude and outlook on life. Good luck to all in finding your piece of paradise:)

I am also looking to retire part time to the Corozal area. I love reading the post. Does anyone know if expats can work there? I am a registered nurse and would like to work while there.
Theresa

Welcome to Expat.com Theresa!
Do not hesitate to start a new thread on Belize forum for better interactivity.;)

Harmonie.

This has been very interesting to read. My husband and I have been visiting Belize every year for years and some times twice. We love it. We have made lots of friends. We have been dreaming of moving there. To me Belize has not been ruined by what we call progress in the United States. But you need to realize you will not be in the United States. There will be bad and good. However we feel the good definitely out weighs the bad. It finally looks like it is going to happen. Reading about healthcare, snakes etc, has been helpful. I am still unsure about driving. We need to get some things there that you can't get in Belize. My impression is good large and small appliances, mattresses and linens are not easy to find. So I guess we are going to try it. Since we want a simple life I really don't care about furniture. We will buy it or make it.

We have visited many areas of Belize and have chosen the San Ignacio area to live. We want to grow as much food as possible and plan to buy a small house with enough land to do that. 

It seems there a lot of us folks out there who want to do this. I want to wish you all success in your adventure. Wouldn't it be fun to all meet up one day.