Where to live in France if British?

Hello,
My wife and I wish to move to Western France fairly close to the coast. As with all countries there are more friendlier regions than others. We have enjoyed 3 recent holidays in western France but are aware that these experiences may not give the an picture of what it will be like to relocate.

Could any ex-pats give us a list of the more friendlier regions in W France.

Many thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,
I'm from the U.S. I lived in southern France for a year in 2000-2001. There was a large contingent of Brits living there at the time. I lived in Grasse but originally wanted to live in Valbonne. I'm sure things have changed as its been awhile but we found the locals very "tolerant" of our rudimentary French and of course the countryside is beautiful and the airport is close. Let me know if you've more questions.
Best,
Shawn Underwood

Tony - an ex-Glaswegian myself. It is so much easier to help if more details are supplied. Do you need/want to work? Do you have children? Do you speak any French? Do you see yourself living in a town or a village? North or south? Among expats or among French people?

In general house prices rise as you get closer + closer to the coast.

French people are in the main friendly and welcoming - and Scots start off with an advantage over some other peoples. But you must accept that this is France - don't complain or moan - you chose to come here. Speak the language, shop locally as much as possible, tell French people how happy you are, what a wonderful country France is.

And a few final words of caution - some people don't stay very long - miss nights in pub, friends + family, shopping on Sundays, a decent curry ...... Having a plan B is recommended

Ian

I would say come down to the Pyrenees Atlantiques.  But then again I am an estate agent.  I do live there myself, which is a sort of recommendation.:D