Looking for advice about Valencia :)

Hi there! :)I'm a young Irish primary school teacher and I've been offered a job in a school just outside of Valencia. .Problem is my friend who was meant to be coming too has backed out and now I don't know what to do!? :/ How is it over there to find English speaking flat mates, or any accommodation? My Spanish is very limited!

Hello SineadL.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For the accommodation, you can read this article on Accommodation in Spain.

You can post an advert in the Housing in Valencia section as welll. It may help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi SineadL,
Where abouts are you going to work.
I live in the north of Valencia where there are a few English schools. Caxton in Pucol has a high number of native British English teachers of all ages. If this is the area you are moving, then im sure you could get in touch with the School and enquire about meeting them or flat sharing etc.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies! I took both of your advice - I had a look at flat sharing websites and I'm going to ask the school what they could do for me as well. I'm hoping there will be some more new teachers in the school in the same boat as me! Fingers crossed :)

Sinéad

There is a vibrant (by some people's standards, arguably too vibrant) English-speaking community here in Valencia... and not only native speakers. Several of the best places to meet them are the following: Portland Ale House, Sally O'Brien, and Finnegan's. I wrote up a blog series on missing home in Valencia, mostly targeted to Americans (what with me being one), but also for Anglophone cultures:

http://nothemingwaysspain.blogspot.com. … in_25.html

At any of those places you can find English speakers, some of whom might be looking for flatmates. You can also try posting an ad in the University of Valencia's English Philology Department or the Valencia "Escuela Oficial de Idiomas" (Official Languages School), both host avid communities of Anglophiles. (Also good spots to find language exchange partners.) Feel free to browse my blog tag on "Valencia" for more entries on things to do here (warning: shameless self-promotion!):

http://nothemingwaysspain.blogspot.com. … l/Valencia

I can't help you much with specifics about the Irish in Valencia, but my impression after living here for several years is that there are plenty with whom you can connect. I'd encourage you to forget your friend and come here. I've never known a single foreigner to come live in Valencia and be disappointed with it. You will be welcomed very warmly by all, and will have no regrets. And, eventually, the Spanish language acquisition will come, too.

Valenciagaa.com

club deportes y muy social,

gente de todos partes del mundo

Hi hola77!

As this is the anglophone forum could you please post in English?

Thanks
Armand

vale, Sorry Armaud,

Valenciagaa.com

not just a sports club 4 women n men, its a social get-together-of people from all parts of the world who get together have fun while staying fit

gracias

hi if you have a look, you will find a lot of english communities as xzf620 mentioned.

there are english pubs (portland is my fav!), english resturants like mad hatters, 17 or even supermarkets like spainsbury or indian taj majal.

There is a new book shop in antiguo reino de valencia street that i cant remmember now its name!

Good luck!