Can Any Western go Live in Compound

Hi there,

I have been offered a job in Saudi Starting 11 Aug 2012. This includes a apartment accommodation. But if i rather wanted to go and live in a compound would that be a problem?

Even if you wanted to pay for it on your own? What does a average room/ apartment in compound cost?

There is no problem in that. You can stay in the compound as you wish. However, there are 2 constarints to it, first is the availability and the second is the price tag attached to it !!:)

Ok thanks,

That is helpful! Ok so they would be expensive if you manage to find a opening? But other than that they will not say this is a " this school/ Company " compound only.

Or this is only for US/UK citizens only compound.

Show them the Money, they will open all the gates for you, Subject to the Availability !! :)

Haha. Money can fix most things it seems!!

But yes, personaly think that life would be beter in a compound that in a Apartment. I dont like being alone.

phillip11 wrote:

Haha. Money can fix most things it seems!!

But yes, personaly think that life would be beter in a compound that in a Apartment. I dont like being alone.

apartment is good also unless you already have lots of friends outside....:cool:

welcome philip, compounds are intended primarily for western (with exception of a few)
Hope you will enjoy Riyadh

Which compound you want to go depends on amoubnt you wish to spend.
the prices have actually rocketed during recent years in Riyadh

@philip: and definitely life in compound is much better than apaprtment. but again the money you save living in apaprtment can be spent in weekend trips to Bahrain, to dubai (via budget airlines).
google for riyadh compound there is some link which mention the prices as well.
hope that helps

Hi Philip

I think this is your first time outside ur country?
how old are you? you don't have GF or married?
living in compound would cost you starting from 60k if you are lucky for 2 bed rooms.

what are things you do to relax your self?

regards

Hey Lion,

Me single never been married / been single for a year, 32 and yes i have travelled before. Even though i am single now i am still very close to friends and family. And don't like being alone.
Lived in London for a year.
Lived in Germany for 6 months
Worked on a kibbutz in Israel for about 7 months.

So yes, maybe i am just freaking out here for no real reason.
But all the stories you hear before going

So what can i say...

hello philip

you are right about the one being alone. it is not healthy.
and somtimes one can feel different feelings with no specific reason. but lesson don't hear too much from those who are deppresed and pessimistic.

I see you spent sometime in many places, how it was in Israel?
I like Germany, it is nice country.

you are in good age for marige, what is holding you?
how are you making in this hot weather?

Regards :)

The way I see it, it's important that a person feel comfortable being alone.  Alone doesn't have to mean 'lonely' ... it can mean that you enjoy your own thoughts. 

People who need the constant companionship and stimulation of others are at a distinct disadvantage in life.  For one, they can find themselves in a panic, like philip.  For another, I think they can never really get to know themselves.

Thoughts on this? ;)

hello allie,

enjoying the one's thought doesn't conflict with being with others. I think it is balance of combinations. every person sometime need to have set with himself. but waht is exceed the limit can lead to disadvantage. not being alone all the time and with people all the time.

I agree with you about getting panic specialy if someone is used to be with people around him all the time and he relay on thier presence and suddenly being far from them.

can you explain more about the point of not getting to know themslves? somehow I understandit but not so quit.

Best Regards :)

Hii Philip Sorry to barge in but I have a question for expert guys... I have a saudi HR friend who ones told me dat if u were in Israel or have a Israel visa on u r passport, u r visa to KSA will not be granted for good and u will be banned to enter the kingdom... so Mr. Philip u been in Israel so did u get u r visa or awaiting visa to KSA... don't feel offended just asking out of curiosity....

Hi there,

Well yes, was there in 2001/2 but since then have got a new passport and so hope that this will not even be noticed. Sure there is no proof of me being there.

If you where to go there and back while still working in Saudi then yes. They would know.

yes and already have my visa.. :)

@galiusman.

I heard the same thing- I was told any GCC country may refuse entry if they see an Israeli stamp in passport.

phillip11 wrote:

yes and already have my visa.. :)

Phew!

:)

Apparently the Israelis understand this.  All you have to do is ask them to stamp a separate piece of paper (rather than your passport) and they'll do it.

Hi Phillip
I think it would be better if you live in a compound
We have list of good ones ( havent checked most of them)
Drop me a message then we can help you find something suitable
Some of the compounds have motels you can book into until you find space in a villa
You probably wont find a villa straight a way because it takes a while to get into the good ones
Best of luck
ps Saudi has gotten a bad rep over the years but i truely enjoy living here and would not go back to RSA in a hurry
I also freaked out a little but you will be amazed how many south africans live here. you will be fine

wow janet has nice words
welcome janet

Thanks Lion