New arrival to Fribourg with a few ideas...

Hello everyone,

I just arrived in Fribourg last week, and have been going through the initial adaptation process that everyone goes through when arriving to a new town.  However, I found this web site to be of great help for doing activities around Fribourg. 

onvasortir.com

On the map you can select on Bern and Lausanne.  Sign up for both sections, and participate on the activities that interest you.  There is a variety of FREE activities and you get to meet people and practice your French as well.  Unfortunately there is no section for Fribourg, and the Bern section is not very active.  But the Lausanne is very active and you will see that there are tons of things to do.  You will see some Fribourg activities in the Lausanne section, so there are not only activities in that city.

couchsurfing.com

When I arrived in France last year I was very involved with couchsurfing and met a lot of travelers and expatriates through that site.  We met for coffee, hiking, and things of that sort.  There is a Fribourg group that might be useful as well.

If you are new to town, I would suggest taking a language course.  I did that last year and met a lot of friends who where in the same position I was.  You will also meet other expats and you will find you have a lot in common.

Another suggestion would be to set up a language exchange at some bar so we can get to know each other and share ideas and experiences.  We could organize it one day a week at around 8pm or so.  The objective would be to get to know each other and share information and ideas, and whatever other things we can come up with.  We could start talking in English for half an hour, and then French.  Its a good way to break the ice, since everyone is a foreigner anyway.

Any other ideas?

Hello JJ37.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Maybe you can try to post an advert in the Community section (Language Exchange) in the Fribourg classfieds. It can help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Bonjour,
Je viens de m'ìnscir sur le sit , j'ai lu votre message sur l'utilité d'apprendre la langue française ou anglaise , c'est tres bien pensé. Mon cas est que je suis entrin de preparer une visite a Fribourg pour chercher un mieux futur , je suis de nacionalité espagnole mais je defend mieux avec le français .J'àime avoir des contacts et etablir une correspondance avec les gens qui vivent au Fribourg .