Making friends in Abu Dhabi??

Hello all, I have been living in Abu Dhabi for over a year now and I am finding it very hard to make Friends. It seems like people are not interested in getting too close to others here. I have not met any Americans here or anyone that shares the same interests as I do. Any advice?? Thanks in advance.

Hi Laila ... Welcome to the Forum :)

Being active on the Forum will play a major role in finding like-minded people from which you can make some friends.

I hope soon enough you will have many many friends ... Keep Blogging :)

All the Best :)

I agree, keeps blogging. but also it depends on your daily routine as well. I signed up last month for scuba diving sessions and I made some friends over there that shares the same hobby.

Pm me, and we can chat ;) I'm not American  but I've lived in the USA for a while.
Another tip is to join groups on people on a website called Meetup. They have groups of interests and organize events. People are really open minded and looking forward to meeting new people.
Don't stay by yourself!! :)

Hey ! yes i agree its difficult to get to know ppl here. I am new here too and just exploring the place so far. It seems ppl from so many nationalities are too scared to pass a smile and be friendly. I am totally new to this place and so far relying on ppls advices to see the places worth paying a visit here. Any ways you should get in to some activity to get to know new ppl here plus do join the AD meetup website it might help u.

blue2012 wrote:

Hello all, I have been living in Abu Dhabi for over a year now and I am finding it very hard to make Friends. It seems like people are not interested in getting too close to others here. I have not met any Americans here or anyone that shares the same interests as I do. Any advice?? Thanks in advance.

Not good to hear considering my g/f and I are moving over in 1 month's time from Toronto, Canada... We don't really now anyone aside from one girl my g/f went to school in the UK with..

Are you teaching at a GEMS or ADEC school?? I'm not a teacher, but my g/f will be teaching at Sheikh Zayed Priavte Academy

Honestly, it is NOT HARD to make friends in Abu Dhabi, as long as you're ready to get out of your place and have a few activities. Okay, you might not be able to meet people in the street like in some other countries (Egypt, India, ...), but honestly, it's not even like that in the US and in Canada either.
Think about it : the city is full of expats, with a very high turnover. Even when you already have friends, you know you need to make more acquaintances because most likely, the people who are your friends now will move away in a few weeks, months, years.
Don't hesitate to subscribe to forums (such as this one, but there are others), to social networks, to send private messages to people, etc. I've seen that people here organize meetups, like movie nights and such. I also mentioned a website called meetup in an earlier post, it's really worth checking it.
Seriously guys, I've been here for 1 month and a half and I've already made countless contacts just like this. And it's not just "contacts", because I get along really well with some of these people and I know they will become actual friends - they already are!
Don't worry Cwilde :) you and your girlfriend will meet lots of people. Does she have an account here?

hey guys beyond anything else what it is or what it seems...let's be friends...just drop me an email..i my interests are... as practitioner not only as a fan : sports ( basketball soccer martial arts ) good food-cooking movies .

cwilde wrote:

I'm not a teacher, but my g/f will be teaching at Sheikh Zayed Priavte Academy

How are you guys settling? How does she like the school?

Hello!

I am currently teaching science in Phoenix, AZ, and was offered a job from ADEC to teach in Abu Dhabi.  The only thing I am nervous about is the lifestyle, and I'm not sure if Abu has much to offer a 24 yr old.  What are your experiences like thus far?  Is the experience worth the sacrifices you've made regarding your social life? I run a music website on the side, and was also wondering about the cultural/music scene in the UAE. Does live music exist?

Hey sorry I just saw ur post. Lol. How are u guys getting on here now that you have been here a while??
Where are u working at? I'm at the international school of Chouiefat. How is ur gf getting on here??

Hi Blue,

are you at the chouiefat in AD or Dubai ?

blue2012 wrote:

Hey sorry I just saw ur post. Lol. How are u guys getting on here now that you have been here a while??
Where are u working at? I'm at the international school of Chouiefat. How is ur gf getting on here??

Hi! My name is John. I am a Filipino and currently in Abu Dhabi as well. I just wanna ask, How can I get your attention or even other expat to meet up and add on my friend's list? The intention is good, But it is possible let's say for us to put trust even we are different in all aspects. I mean in nationality, beliefs, etc.

Welcome to AUH John...kabayan!!

Hi everybody! I just have arrived in Abu Dhabi and looking forward to meeting people and have lots of fun in the city. Any favorit places where I should go? Feel free to contact me! :-)

hey there how u doing ? my name's Yacine, half spanish half moroccan, working at SCI an international american firm for engineering n consulting, feel free to contact whenever ya free for a drink or whatever u want, life is kinda boring without friends...

have a good day at work !

Regards,

Yacine

thanks deltamikelima!

NP :cool:

Yeah like im kinda scared to speak to women and introduce myself not like back home I am really confident but I find people, and women especially, really strange.. theres like this huge social barrier that nobody seems to cross.. I actually hate this place now I feel so alone.. Oh yeah I am a student so Im broke as hell and rely on my parents to support me.. So this is me speaking to my mind.. "lets go do some fun activities and maybe meet some people" walk outside.."no ways let me just stay indoors coz hell decided to exist on earth" man the heat is insane!!! I stay in khalifa city A one of the worst places on earth! So far I dont intend on meeting any new people and I dont ever want a job in this hell hole!!

Oh yeah and if there are any south africans out there who wana chill out or somethin holla at ur boi!

Is this forum still active?

Anyways, welcome for those who are new here in abu dhabi.. Meeting "true" friends here is really not that easy. I think its not for the reason that we are from different nations but as an individual per se :)

Its really hard to trust easily but who knows :) in this area with vast diversity, its really an advantage to have a group with a good company. I, personally have been here for more than two years now but still have a limited circle of friends. Maybe, also due to some other activities :)

Regards,
Yneng :)

well a year old here and used being alone :)
still on hunt of like minded people.. any one wanna catchup? I get free by 4 PM every day :)

people with same interest will meet and become friends...just a matter of time... :)

Hi everyone. How are you doing? I've been here for 2 1/2 years now. My sister was here when I first came  but she went back to the Philippines 3mos. ago and will stay there for good. Now that I have no one here, i feel so alone. I just signed up in the hope of finding true friends here.

hi.. i'm from philippines and i'm interested for friends especially ladies.

hello

looking friends is hard here because there is no social network.
you can try throgh facebook or english teachers comunity sites.
good day

hi good morning can we became friends plz

I've been here nearly 3 years now and I've found it very hard too. Sooooo many work friends but not many partners in crime outside of work with similar interests. Big problem is actually finding any interests in the country that don't completely empty pockets. Its been 3 very dull years of treading water just looking for the next step.

Greetings!!!

Weekend is almost within reach :)

And the temperature had started to raise. So hope everyone had a great and good company for the coming and upcoming days.

A great times for everyone ;)

Warm regards,

Yneng

Hi I'm from the Philippines also if you have tym u can email at [email protected].

Yes, they say summer is already near

Been on nights this week and the night time humidity is starting, yes Hell will soon be upon us

well... had lots of field works yesterday (02.04.2014) and today (03.04.2014) with all the dust and the wind hahaha...

Goodluck to all of us for this upcoming summer beats. I think its even hotter this time compared to last year....

"warm" regards,

Yneng

Hi, i also work outside in the field. Its very difficult in summer. Hope you are wrong and thiis summer global warming brings us snow and ice :-)

Hahaha....I so wish that such speculation of  hotter summer this year is wrong :D

Have a great weekend guys... ;)

Yneng

hit there
well im living in abudhabi and i knw its hard to stay if one of family member leaves and thats only your support well we can be friends im from pakistan but born and brought up here never been to my home country i m member for some groups hope you would like to join also along with me let me know

Hi, are you living in Abu Dhabi? I have just moved here from Canada and I feel like its getting increasingly difficult to make friends with similar interests.

Are you and your gf still in Abu Dhabi? I am craving Canadian company!

paulylad wrote:

I've been here nearly 3 years now and I've found it very hard too. Sooooo many work friends but not many partners in crime outside of work with similar interests. Big problem is actually finding any interests in the country that don't completely empty pockets. Its been 3 very dull years of treading water just looking for the next step.

Wow, 3 years eh?? Are you and your gf still in Abu Dhabi?

Hi Blue2012,
I live in Abudhabi too.
Am ready to make new friends if you are interested Please get in touch..
Thanks

Hi,Yneng