Looking for a Vietnamese market near the Manor (Binh Thanh district)

Hi,

I'm staying at the Manor 2 (on Nguyen Huu Canh Street) in the Binh Thanh District and I'm looking to see if there are any Vietnamese markets nearby (ideally within walking distance). I'm looking to buy mainly fresh vegetables and fruit as the Citimart downstairs is quite expensive (more expensive than fruits in Canada during the winter!) and the selection quite limited.
Thank you.

----------
Bonjour,

j'habite au ''The Manor 2''(sur la rue Nguyen Huu Canh) dans le quartier de Binh Thanh. J'aimerais savoir s'il y a un marché vietnamien près de là (idéalement, auquel je pourrais marcher) afin d'acheter des légumes et des fruits (qui ne sont pas aussi chers que ceux du Citimart en bas).   
Merci.

There is one just at the back of the Manor. Just ask the guards and they will point you the way.

I would not recommend you to buy fresh vegetables at the market. Fruits may be OK (depending on the types). The reason is that the farmers tend to use either a lot of insecticide or dirty water or dangerous chemicals.

For vegetables (and fruits), I would recommend either VGFood at Hai ba Trung or Metro/Coop out near An Phu. They are more expensive but you get what you pay.

Look for vegetables meeting either VietGAP or, even better, EUROGap. They need to be properly packaged and or branded growers. Vegetables are definitely not the area you want to save a couple of bucks in Vietnam.

You're totally right. I didn't think that there would be a difference between the fresh produce found in outdoor markets and the more expensive supermarkets (and thus, my initial indignation), but I will definitely shell out for healthier produce. I'll also go for fruit I can peel I guess.

Thanks for the advice!

i think you're living in luxury area. i see no market there. Do you have motorbike? ride over Nguyen huu canh bridge. there is a small market on Ung van khiem street, near to HUTECH university. At the corner of Dien Bien phu and D1 : Van thanh market . and Thanh da market near to Thanh da park. Market in vietnamese: 'chợ' .Find it on the map http://www.diadiem.com/
good luck

No, I don't have a motorbike because I have nor the skills (or you could say, guts) nor the license to ride one. 

Thank you for your help also!

I think Anetta is being her usual diplomatic self.

Local markets tend to have uninspected foodstuffs or grown the old fashioned way, without chemicals and artificial fertilizers but using human excrement.

You will see in rural areas, greenery growing in rivers and on riverbanks. These are harvested daily, before the sun rises and they are piled on motorcycles and driven to the city markets.

Same with eggs, cho eggs don't have inspection stamps on them - they use a marker pen and pretend they have been inspected.

I asked a certain supermarket where their stale dated food went and the answer was 'recycled'. I said I would sit outside next to their garbage dumpster and take pictures, until I found out.

They finally told me eggs were stripped of their Best Before stickers and sold at discount to VN egg wholesalers who sell it to the cho vendors.

I said what about all the yoghurt they put in the dumpster It, too,was sold to 'wholesalers' but before it left the store property, they used some paint thinner to obliterate the dates.

The whole operation is supervised by the security guards who split the tale with store employees.

I very rarely eat cho food you never know where it has been.

superjunior93 wrote:

i think you're living in luxury area. i see no market there.

would not call this a luxury area. A couple of years ago, this was a dump area no one would set their foot on. In some sense, it still is. There is nothing around here. One either has to go to D1 or to An Phu area to find supermarkets/restaurants. Without the Manor and the Saigon Pearl, it is just a thoroughfare.

That you don't see a market from the highway, it does not mean it does not exist. As I mentioned, it is on the back of the Manor. You need to walk in the small alleys to get there (< 100m from the Manor I).

Otherwise, the nearest big fresh market is the Thi Nghe market, near the Thi Nghe bridge.

Jaitch wrote:

Jaitch
Thank you for your kind words. Actually, it should be ...his usual... :)

For those who don't know its origin. Anatta in Pali (the liturgical language of Theravada Buddhism) means Non-self. It is one of the three fundamental doctrines in Buddhism, namely Impermanence, Suffering, and Non-self.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatta

I really REALLY like this one!!!  How are you going to live this down, Anatta???  :dumbom:

All jokings aside, how long are you guys planning to live?  What is wrong with Dusty Bottom (Budman1) phrase, "rolling with the punches"?

Anatta is not living up to his billing, Budman1.  What's the deal?

Wild_1 wrote:

How are you going to live this down, Anatta??? 
Anatta is not living up to his billing, Budman1.  What's the deal?

Ha ha. Spamming the forum 1AM in morning after having a couple of beers out and about town, getting no catch and going home alone, aren't we?

BTW, all the girls out there. Don't believe in Howie. If you want a girly pyjama sleepover with this nice gal, feel free to do so. I am all, you know.., up to it, not "live this down" as Howie would like me to do. :cool:.
This is all "living up" alright.

Mods: sorry for the pun.

Wild_1 wrote:

All jokings aside, how long are you guys planning to live?

As long as the Man Upstairs decides my term is not up. What are you talking about man :dumbom:? Is it the beer talking or is it your delirious normal self ? :P

I think you both stayed out to late partying with the tollboothgods last night.