Healthcare in Martinique

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Martinique ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Martinique?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

hello- the health care system is very strange and high here.this island has very few hospitals- two or three, and only one for adults without children. doctors dont really speak english, and they are not exactly up to date with how they do things.however, the aiiiiirrrrrrport dotors are great! each visit is about 50 euro and the pharmc is right next to it. there is always really long wait. yes get insurance for martinique first, you can try to contact the embassy in barbados for it as there is no american embassy here or really any other one ---- the rest are in france.

Hi there,

Yes. Martinique is France but it is also kinda Africa. I had a severe arterial dissection with trigeminal complications. I was mis-diagnosed at first...but then even the hospital in Avignon, France also missed what was happening days before I flew to Martinique. The flight couldn't have helped. Neither the diving for two weeks. Just before I left the excellent airport doctor shut me down - no flying until the hospital found out what was wrong. Two days later I dragged myself into the ER. I didn't leave for a month. The doctors were pretty good - most from the metropole as France is referred to. Several nurses and one particular catering sadistic bitch, however, very nearly killed me several times. Luckily 3 other nurses saved my life several times to even the score and thanks to their skills I am alive today. Finally I had an emergency repatriation with a super doc by my side until he got me to the hospital in Avignon. Yeah...back where they had missed the symptoms 6 weeks earlier. And they screwed up again. After a month I got out...shaken, alive but just barely.

So , I would generally say the hospital there is pretty good but some nursing staff need retraining and the interns need more supervision from experienced staff.

However, there are medical shortages - on two occasions morphine and other vital medication was not available and instead of telling the truth the nurses just didn't show up or lied saying that I didn't need it and refused to give it to me ! The consequences were crisis and seizures that literally almost killed me. I was saved each time by the evening and night nurses who seemed to have a genuine duty to care that many day nurses were devoid of. One time it was Easter weekend. The nurse told me I was to come off the meds for three days. After the last time the same nurse had refused to give me my meds, I had had my doubts. I confronted her and it transpired that all the doctors were on holiday and the hospital pharmacy had been locked ! The service had no meds for me = someone had forgotten to get advance supplies. I told her that if her service didn't have it then another service surely had ! I sent her off and in 10 minutes she was back with a three day supply. Happy Easter Phil !

So my advice is demand service when you have to, and if you feel you are being given the run around by a nurse, you probably are. Step up and demand to see a doctor if needs be - that'll usually open some doors to truth and help.

And make sure you have insurance - usually credit cards offer insurance when you pay flights using the card. Mine did - and the Europe Assistance team were excellent. They even have their own doctors that talk you through everything and call back regularly and liaise with the hospital doctors until they feel you have stabilized enough for repatriation.

Most pharmacies should have a list of local doctors so they can be a good starting place when you need to find one.

All the best,

Philip