Healthcare in Turkey

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Turkey ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Turkey?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

First , It would be best for you to get travel insurance when you book your flight it is inexpensive and can really help to have this , Now the health care system in Turkey is what i like to call tore up from the floor up ,that being said it dose have some good things as well , when i needed to see a Doctor for my blood pressure it was relatively  easy to get in to see an American speaking Dr and also for the fallow up ,but  you thought the 1-2 hr wait for the ER was bad here you can sit in the ER 4-5 hours there and that is just for the tests , than you have another 2-3 hr wait to get the results back (that a familey member has to go and pick up from the front office ), than you have to wait for the DR to grace you with there presents another1-2 hrs ,to find out what is wrong .  Now as far as the hospital stays are concerned um HELL NO there Nursing staff is a joke they are what we here in the states would call a medical assistant (un certified ) they do no hands on patient care unless it is a injection someone really needs to teach them how to take a proper manual blood pressure  and God forbid you need an IV because they couldn't hit a vane that is right in front of the face . all personal care is done by a family member who must be there 24 hr a day you must buy  and provide all personal care products ,IE toilet paper, paper towels , night gown or pajamas blankets towels and wash cloths  bottled water.. any assistance you need is done by family even administering of medications.  when the Doctors are in the room anyone who is there with you must leave if the Dr schedules you for a test while in the hospital the nurses do not take you your family member dose. it  dose not matter if you are hooked up to monitors or what ever you on your own to get this test done in the main hospital were everyone who is there to see a Dr for what ever reason is all so getting tests it is on a first come first served basic  well that is about all i know and what i have told you here is ALL from Personal  first hand Knowledge  , I was in Adana for a year and a half and my mother and father in law were both in 2  different hospitals at the same time for almost a month so needles to say i know what i am talking about , and yes i am very judgmental of the medical staff there  , I have been in the Nursing profession for most of my adult life (20) years and i have never seen such a disregard for patient safety   on a final note MAKE SURE THEY WASH THERE HANDS AND PUT ON NEW GLOVES BEFORE THEY TOUCH YOU !!! ! UNIVERSAL PRO CATIONS ARE NOT RELAY BIG THERE and PRAY A LOT  GOOD LUCK

government insurance (SGK) covers all government hospitals ascwell as dental and it would be free. private one covers many hospitals and drugs but a persentage (about 60%). I reccomand you to have an insurance especialky SGK.