Driving a motorbike in Accra, Ghana

Hello everyone !

I'm about to spend a year in Accra, as a student at the GIMPA. I don't have a drinving licence and I want to know if it is possible to live without a car in Accra. I thought about buying a  motorcycle, but is it possible to drive without a specific driving licence for mortorcycles ? If there is any mandatory diploma, is it easy to get ? Then, is it quite safe to drive a motorcycle there ?

If anyone can help me, i'd be glad to hear from you all !

Thanks for your advices !

You'd rather need suicidal tendencies to ride a bike here in Accra... I would say, if you don't have long term biking experience, just forget it. It is not worth taking the risk.

I agree but a lot of people seem to like it! I would come first and see if you feel OK about the traffic. If you have a driving licence that allows motorbikes in your own country I am sure you can get one here.

My female roommate has a motorcycle. As far as I am concerned, having a car in Accra is pure stupidity unless you have kids you have to haul. Traffic is terrible. If you just take taxis everywhere, when traffic gets bad, you just hop out walk a little and take a cab again once you get past the traffic. I have been here without a car and love it. I just smile when other expats talk about how bad the traffic is. With a motorbike you can just go around all the traffic. Dangerous, but worth the risk.

What is the price of a new cheapest motorcycle as well as a old motorcycle?

What is the cost of a basic car , by basic car i mean no frills , a simple small car ?

I suppose it depends on what you want, new or secondhand, etc. I suggest you look at ghanaweb.com as you will see cars/motorbikes for sale listed there and you can see the prices.

Hello,

second hand car no frills will cost you like 12500 to 13000 ghc

@ sunny76sunny > This is just to inform you that you have replied to an old thread here (2012). However, thank you for your participation, the information that you have given may help future members. ;)

Have a nice day,

Priscilla  :cheers:

when I lived in ghana one of my flat mates bought a motor cycle second hand for 800 ghc. but it wasn't in accra, but near cape coast. i think this is something you should decide when you have seen the traffic and how it will fit you,