Housing in Singapore

Hi,

our new housing in Singapore section is now available.

You can now post all your housing offers and requests in this new section.

Do not hesitate to share your thoughts and suggestions with us, your feedback is appreciated ;)

Thanks,

Julien

I am really disopinted with landlords here, i picked two apartments one at Marina and other at orchid, both occassion we shoke hands , landlord kept the LOI and used it to attract others, no issue with that but they wasted my two week, moral of the story is ..nothing is confirmed till LOI is signed, i am waiting for the third one (finger crossed).

Tariqkhi wrote:

I am really disopinted with landlords here, i picked two apartments one at Marina and other at orchid, both occassion we shoke hands , landlord kept the LOI and used it to attract others, no issue with that but they wasted my two week, moral of the story is ..nothing is confirmed till LOI is signed, i am waiting for the third one (finger crossed).

From experience it is better to have an agent who represents you.  If not you are at the mercy of the Landlord's agent. Your agent can share the Landlord's agent commission in certain situation.

Happen to know an expat who had problem with the air conditioners. The Landlord replace it with a used air conditioners.  Some Landlords are really stinko.  They want high rents yet not wanting to foot the cost of essentials.

What would you do if you are a Tenant in this situation? 

Stop paying your rent.

Landlord will probably engage a lawyer to press you for payment.  It will be to costly for him to pursue in most cases and before you know it, it probably would have been better if he brought to case up to the small claims court.  Now as a Tenant you can press and demand he replace with a new air condition if not you will not pay your rent.  By the time this case goes to conclusion you have stay rent free and the tenancy may have expired.  Don't be afraid of Landlord's threat of suing you.

Today it is a Tenant's market i.e.  Landlords are crying for Tenants.  So squeeze the Landlord if you can.  Most are getting desperate.

[Moderated: please post in the Housing section of the site]

williamfsg wrote:

From experience it is better to have an agent who represents you.

According to my experience (and looking at Internet forums, many others encountered the same) there are far more dubious and dishonest agents than landlords.
In addition, bringing a third person into a discussion, who has his own agenda and hidden motives (and, in my opinion, costs more than his limited services warrant), does not usually make things any easier. I prefer to talk to my landlords directly and so far fared very well that way.

im happy to stay here. everything is so convenient!!

i'm younes from algeria,Constantine , i'm in Singapore since 4 months, i'm staying in woodlands and my fiance in bukit panjang,she is singaporean, we are looking for a room to rent around Bukit Panjang or Woodlands or any place near by, my fiance is pregnant
hope to hear from you soon

Hello tfnba and welcome to Expat.com!

You should post an advert in the Housing in Singapore section. It can help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi everyone,

I am arriving to Singapore on 6 September and I am looking for a room to rent. I am quite easy going and have an opened personality. I wouldn't mind any age and race to live with, but wouldn't really go in roomsharing. Accomodation would be preferable somewhere close to Jurong island, 'cause that is where I am going to work. Anyways, I am a PhD student, up for travelling, doing sports, going out, dancing, clubbing and things like that. Also, I am opened to get new contacts and make new friends. Any advice is welcomed for someone who is at the first time in Singapore. Thanks, Agnes

There is no accommodation on Jurong Island, as it is all industrial land.
There is also no public transport to/from the island. You basically need company-provided transport, which most companies on the island provide.
The nearest residential town is Jurong West (around MRT station Boon Lay) and most company buses pick up from there. Depending on where on Jurong Island you need to go, the bus takes 15-45min.
So your best option would probably be renting a room in Jurong West, or on one of the other stations at the Western end of the MRT line.
Jurong West is a very local town with not much to do and see, other than one big mall. The MRT to the city centre takes 45min. On the positive side, rents are cheaper there than in more central locations - you might find a room below S$600/month!
(Just be prepared to much less privacy than you are used to - this is Asia!)

dear beppi, thanks for the useful information! A.

Hello. Does anyone know about some lodges at singapore near merlion? I'm about to go to Singapore, it's one of my plan. Hehe. Your answer will be preciously. Thank you :)

I don't know what you mean by lodges, but right across the road from Merlion is the Fullerton Hotel.
Room rates start at S$500. There are a few less scenic hotels within 15min walk, which might cost as little as half of that.
For cheaper accommodation (below S$100 is possible) you have to look at less central locations, e.g. East Coast.

beppi wrote:

I don't know what you mean by lodges, but right across the road from Merlion is the Fullerton Hotel.
Room rates start at S$500. There are a few less scenic hotels within 15min walk, which might cost as little as half of that.
For cheaper accommodation (below S$100 is possible) you have to look at less central locations, e.g. East Coast.

Aha, thank you Beppi. I think you don't need to know what I meant, hehe. Because it replaces with your answer. Thanks for your information ;)

Need any assistance in buying or renting a house or condo?
I specialized in expatriate relocation here in Singapore so drop me a short message with your requirements. Cheers, SC

Be careful when dealing with property agents in Singapore!
The profession has a reputation for dishonestry and unprofessional behaviour.
E.g., the above poster is probably a property agent and will only help you for a fee, but declines to say so in his/her post. This is not a good start and I personally would avoid such a person!

Hi,

could anybody recommend a reliable agent? I plan to move to Singapore late this month. I need a temporary acommodation for some days until I find a proper appartment. What I need finally is an apartment with 2-3 rooms fully furnished convenient for a family of 5.
Any advice is highly appreciated, many thx in advance.

bb

Hello bertokb, you should post an advert in the Housing in Singapore section. It could help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thank you!