Salary Questions..is it enough

Hello fellow expats I have a question which I am sure you have been asked before. Living in Nairobi is a salary of 250,000 KSH per month a nice living wage? My company will provide housing and a car for me so the 2 big expenses they will take care of. So my question is would it be hard to live there on 250000 per month. What would i expect to pay in a nice restaurant for me and my wife? How about cost per kilo of fish? Cost for 6 beers? Good bottle of wine? Thanks for any information you may give.

This is quite a good salary. I live on 180 000 KES and i have to pay for my car and housing!
Meat and fish are quite cheap and good quality
fish: 800 KES/KG ; A whole chiken: 600 KES ; 100 g of ham: 95 KES.

A good restaurant would be between 3000 and 4000 for 2; depends how many drinks you take .
A pack of 6 cans of beer  is 700 KES. A beer in a bar is around 200 KES. A fairly good bottle of wine in the supermarket is 600-1000 KES.

What is costly is the taxi, if you take them too often and cheese!

250K KES is not a bad salary if the car and house expenses are taken care for. You'll have enough to go on nice holidays around the country!

Amelie

ameliedes wrote:

This is quite a good salary. I live on 180 000 KES and i have to pay for my car and housing!
Meat and fish are quite cheap and good quality
fish: 800 KES/KG ; A whole chiken: 600 KES ; 100 g of ham: 95 KES.

A good restaurant would be between 3000 and 4000 for 2; depends how many drinks you take .
A pack of 6 cans of beer  is 700 KES. A beer in a bar is around 200 KES. A fairly good bottle of wine in the supermarket is 600-1000 KES.

What is costly is the taxi, if you take them too often and cheese!

250K KES is not a bad salary if the car and house expenses are taken care for. You'll have enough to go on nice holidays around the country!

Amelie

Thank you very much for the response. I appreciate all the information you gave me.

Hello Chef Timmy, your salary is quite good compared to many other expats. As your company is giving you house and car, the most important expense is cleared. For buying fish its 400/Kilo, chicken 330 and mutton 300 in city market. There you get fresh meat, if you buy in supermarkets then they charge more for the same, as they all get meat from city market in town.
For 1 beer it would cost 115 in supermarket and 200-250 in clubs and bars. wine yo can get all ranges with good price, 300-5000.