Is $2000 net salary a good deal ?

Hello,

I'm sandeep from India and currently looking to move to Nairobi. I got a job offer by a NGO, offering $2000 net salary. I've to pay for everything - housing, transport etc. The NGO will hire me on national contract terms so they'll pay for taxes and insurance etc. I heard Nairobi is quite expensive city to live.

Do you think it's a good deal to move with 2k salary to Nairobi? Is it possible to change employers easily? I'll move alone.

Thank you so much for your help…

Thank you.
Sandeep

Hello Sandeep and welcome to Expat.com

To have an idea of other salary packages being proposed in Nairobi in contrast to living expenses, I invite you to check out other threads talking about such below :

> Cost of living in Nairobi

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Hi

Contact me on xxx. I can give you privately my advice

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You may exchange them via the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Sandeep,

Happy to know that you are planning to move to Kenya. Please note the following points which are relevant for you.
Let me tell you that govt has a plan to cut down the expats in NGO segment. The talks is already there and it could get implemented.

Hope the net salary you mentioned is net off taxes. I am assuming that you are coming alone. for a single, the accommodation cost would be $150 to $300. If the rent is lower, the area would be away from the city and may not have good neighborhoods and it will be below average. With family you can expect from $350 to $1000 based on the priority. This is normal apartments i am talking about.
The monthly expense on groceries, vegetables and occasional eat outs would be $400 to $500 approx. With family and kids this would be $700 to $1000.
If you want to keep a maid servant, around $100 needs to be budgeted for that. With family, if school going kids are there the school fee would range from $120 to $350.

Electricity, water and other utilities will be around $100 all together.
Also please check the transportation facility. Public transport is very difficult here. Most of the expats get that facility from the employer. Please check it as well.

Briefly you will have to spend $1000 monthly if you are coming alone. If with family it would be around $1500 to $1700. Take the upper figures always, so that you will not be surprised after coming here. You will only be left with $1000 as savings. Make sure your employer is providing the ticket fare to travel back to india every year. Per head ticket fare would be around $600.
Try to negotiate the net salary accordingly.

Wish you a good luck !

Regards

Rajeev

Hey, thanks a lot! Do you use Whatsapp?

Rajeev Sankarankutty wrote:

Hi Sandeep,

Happy to know that you are planning to move to Kenya. Please note the following points which are relevant for you.
Let me tell you that govt has a plan to cut down the expats in NGO segment. The talks is already there and it could get implemented.

Hope the net salary you mentioned is net off taxes. I am assuming that you are coming alone. for a single, the accommodation cost would be $150 to $300. If the rent is lower, the area would be away from the city and may not have good neighborhoods and it will be below average. With family you can expect from $350 to $1000 based on the priority. This is normal apartments i am talking about.
The monthly expense on groceries, vegetables and occasional eat outs would be $400 to $500 approx. With family and kids this would be $700 to $1000.
If you want to keep a maid servant, around $100 needs to be budgeted for that. With family, if school going kids are there the school fee would range from $120 to $350.

Electricity, water and other utilities will be around $100 all together.
Also please check the transportation facility. Public transport is very difficult here. Most of the expats get that facility from the employer. Please check it as well.

Briefly you will have to spend $1000 monthly if you are coming alone. If with family it would be around $1500 to $1700. Take the upper figures always, so that you will not be surprised after coming here. You will only be left with $1000 as savings. Make sure your employer is providing the ticket fare to travel back to india every year. Per head ticket fare would be around $600.
Try to negotiate the net salary accordingly.

Wish you a good luck !

Regards

Rajeev

Hi Rajeev,

Thanks a lot for this detailed information. Very helpful. I got this offer from a NGO there in Nairobi and I would get 1800 in-hand after all deductions including tax. It's a startup so not much space for negotiation. I'll move alone initially and  then my wife will also move there. No kids. So I guess with $1000 I can manage myself and live a safe and a bit comfortable life?

Yes @xxxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You may exchange them via the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Sanjeep,

Yes Nairobi is very expensive city but all in all
unless you have a job otherwise Nairobi is a good place to work.
2000k not bad to start with.

Nasiobu

Hi,Nairobi is somehow expensive bt with $2000 you can make provided you look for something else to do for more income.
Regards.