Rent in Muscat 2012

Hello every one on the forum
My husband has recently joined a oil and gas company in al azaibah/ athaibah. he has a total pacakge of 1000 omr. I will be joining him 4 months later. we have 2.5year old kid. it seems that rents have shot up in muscat in the past one month?? is it so? what are the rates presently? can we search for flats without agents/ brokers?is it true that rents go down during june wen many expats leave the country?there is a computer lottery system for getting admissions in the indian schools? is it impossible to get admissions in indian schools without recommendation?

Hi shubha!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Hello Armand
It would be of great help if you could update on my doubts...
Regards
Shubha

shubha wrote:

Hello every one on the forum
My husband has recently joined a oil and gas company in al azaibah/ athaibah. he has a total pacakge of 1000 omr. I will be joining him 4 months later. we have 2.5year old kid. it seems that rents have shot up in muscat in the past one month?? is it so? what are the rates presently? can we search for flats without agents/ brokers?is it true that rents go down during june wen many expats leave the country?there is a computer lottery system for getting admissions in the indian schools? is it impossible to get admissions in indian schools without recommendation?

Hello shubha,

Here are some answers which you might find useful :

“it seems that rents have shot up in muscat in the past one month?? is it so?” – No. I don't think so at all. In fact there are many more houses going unoccupied now. Also the house rents have been predicted (by the media) to fall by the middle of this year.

“what are the rates presently?” – Will depend on the locality and the type of house you're looking for.

“can we search for flats without agents/ brokers?” – Yes indeed you can. Local dailies carry enough and more ads and you can call the owners directly.

“is it true that rents go down during june wen many expats leave the country?” – Perhaps. There would be more houses going empty. Am not sure if rents would go down too.

“there is a computer lottery system for getting admissions in the indian schools?” – Yes, there is.

“is it impossible to get admissions in indian schools without recommendation” – It is possible, but very difficult. And you may not get exactly what you are looking for.

Good luck !

Hi Sumitran
Thanks a lot for the reply.
We are looking for a 1BHK flat in Al Khuwair or Al Ghubra? What are the rents for a 1bhk flat in an old building and a new one?

Awaiting your reply

Regards
Shubha

shubha wrote:

Hi Sumitran
Thanks a lot for the reply.
We are looking for a 1BHK flat in Al Khuwair or Al Ghubra? What are the rents for a 1bhk flat in an old building and a new one?

Awaiting your reply

Regards
Shubha

Hello Shubha,

House rents for 1 BHK apartments in and around the Al Khuwair / Al Ghubra neighbourhoods would be around R.O. 200 - R.O. 350 / month. If you offer to pay the rent amount for a year in advance, then you can bargain and get a lesser rate.

Avoid looking at the older buildings as maintenance would prove to be a perennial problem. Invariably they will come with cracked washbasins, leaking taps, stained WCs, broken cabinets, creaking doors, and of course window A/Cs that you would have to install.

Almost all new buildings these days come pre fitted with split A/C units, built-in wardrobes, equipped kitchen, with reserved parking, access control entry, et al., and they would be a far better option for you as you can save yourselves a lot of bother in many ways.

Good luck !

Hi Sumitran,

This is i have got a job offer in Muscat and offered R.O 500/ monthly . i have been given accommodation and traveling expenses . my concern is the fooding part , how much will 3 meals cost me per day/month.ill not be cooking food but would like to take a Tiffin service.  i will be living alone and be moving my family.

Please help me and guide me through this.

mich76 wrote:

Hi Sumitran,

This is i have got a job offer in Muscat and offered R.O 500/ monthly . i have been given accommodation and traveling expenses . my concern is the fooding part , how much will 3 meals cost me per day/month.ill not be cooking food but would like to take a Tiffin service.  i will be living alone and be moving my family.

Please help me and guide me through this.

Hello mich76,

Don't worry ! You are not alone in this.

There are ever so many Indian expatriates living here in Muscat who do the same ... and some for years on end.

If you are going to be living in and around the capital (Ruwi, Darsait, CBD, MBD) areas then there are enough and more Indian restaurants to choose from.

Given the large numbers of single, non-cooking men around, most of these or rather all of these restaurants offer an 'eat-daily-and-pay-monthly' facility.

For 3 meals a day the rates vary anywhere between R.O. 32 – R.O. 35 per month.

For 2 meals a day the rates would be around R.O. 26 – R.O. 28 per month.

Best wishes !

Dear sobha,
Indian school muscat have very poor (MIS)management information system they will give ads to collect only money for submission of farm for new people they dont bother to in form any kind of admission ralated information if you call several time in day then once only you will get half information even they dont bother to reply on mail some of my friend even complain CBSE board delhi but funny things even those people whos siting in india , they will also not revert back so we can suggest you dont worry Indian school there are so many high standard school which will fullfill your needs..
All the best

Hi,
if you are still interested to rent a flat, i'm leaving one which is 350 per month.
i need urgent notice.
send me an email in [email protected]

hi shobha i mahmed from kerala , for renting flat u can easily find  it from yhe site or community called (expatriates.com)

Hi everyone can u help me please ,how much are 3 bedroom houses flats  near brittish  shcool in Muscat ,and is that area is safe ,good to live with children ?

and do you think life in Muscat is more expensive coparing to Riyadh like houses ,weekly shopping  ,i live in Riyadh at the moment with my husband and 2 yong children .our family spending is in the middle i think .and we have got a car in riyadh new ,do you think is it better to sell it and buy new one again in muscat,are the prices same on car prices?