New in saudi

Hey everyone. New to Riyadh, just landed few days ago. Great weekend ahead. Enjoy

Hi all,
Another South African (from Cape Town).

Just here for a couple of weeks. Tried to find something to do this afternoon but everywhere seemed to be closed. Anything open to see tomorrow afternoon?

elfuego wrote:

Hey everyone. New to Riyadh, just landed few days ago. Great weekend ahead. Enjoy

Welcome to Riyad elfuego, have a great weekend :)

happytraveller wrote:

Hi all,
Another South African (from Cape Town).

Just here for a couple of weeks. Tried to find something to do this afternoon but everywhere seemed to be closed. Anything open to see tomorrow afternoon?

hello. did u manage to get anything open
u should start at 8am till noon, or at 4pm till 9 pm

enjoy ur stay

i hurt my toe and the nail have to removed... did no experience such pain before:|:(

gabicape - sorry about your toe.

Can anyone advise if Souq al Thumairi will open at all today, or is it shut all day? What time will it stay open until tomorrow (Saturday).
Will restaurants open this evening?

Thanks.

just came back from outside and everything is sut down

elfuego wrote:

just came back from outside and everything is sut down

Yep.  The thing here is that you either have to be up and out in the morning (9-12) or later in the day (4:30PM onwards). 

Usually the foodstores are open all day, however.

thx Alliecat

BTW is there a facebook page for expats in Riyadh? I could not find one. Or at least, senior expats can "friend" newcomers, to be in close contact, just in case we need any urgent help.

to US citizens, the Saudi-American Business is organizing a breakfast Monday 30th,FYI

elfuego wrote:

BTW is there a facebook page for expats in Riyadh? I could not find one. Or at least, senior expats can "friend" newcomers, to be in close contact, just in case we need any urgent help.

That's the void this blog fills, I think  (ie. friends) :)

As for urgent help, I'm not sure what you mean by that (getting arrested? lol), but I always keep my employer's emergency numbers as well as the US Embassy number programmed into my cellphone.

what I meant is that FB is more sophisticated than this blog, and very handy on smartphones

elfuego wrote:

what I meant is that FB is more sophisticated than this blog, and very handy on smartphones

Oh, I understood what you meant about FB.  Just not what you meant about 'urgent help' ;)

Hey happy traveller welcome. South African too. Hope u enjoy

Fb Imraan Saudi expat 😜

Hi Imraan, Thanks.
Just got back from a walk - found a great street full of small shops of every discription, small food "restaurants" (couldn't resist a small Turkish kebab for SAR 4, washed down with a Holsten Classic), coffee roasters, green grocers & lots of barbers.
Feel much happier - hate big shopping centres & eating in hotels - tomorrows supper will be there!

where is that located happytraveller? love that kind of stuff. thx

elfuego,
Don't know the name of the street - it was only signed in Arabic.
It is in An Nasiriyah,running off the circle at the north end of the park Hadiqa Wali-e-thad (nice park, quite a few families enjoying Friday in the park when I first walked the area in the afternoon). It runs parallel to Al Maathar St.
The area is all new buildings, and then you walk into that street and it seems a different city - 2 & 3 storey older buildings, all with small shops at ground level - I love a place with soul.

thx a lot

Hello, I'm in Jeddaah, any group for make friends? me from Portugal!

abansari2003 wrote:

Assalam o alykm

Dear Friends,

i wana know about the life in Jeddah, is it expencive or cheap.
i am planning to come in JEDDAh in March.

kindly guide me.

Thanks

Rather than asking members to repeat things they've said 1,000 times before, you just need to go HERE and see what's already been said!

Best of luck.

borntobemild wrote:

is it just me or have there been like a BILLION south africans coming to saudi lately! whats going on?!

where are these billions of South Africans cause i have been here 2 months and the only S A`s i have met are the ones im working with?

Alliecat wrote:
abansari2003 wrote:

Assalam o alykm

Dear Friends,

i wana know about the life in Jeddah, is it expencive or cheap.
i am planning to come in JEDDAh in March.

kindly guide me.

Thanks

Rather than asking members to repeat things they've said 1,000 times before, you just need to go HERE and see what's already been said!

Best of luck.

Hi ally.to answer your Q,most things are cheap here.The only problem is that all the things here are made in China(bad quality).food is Quite cheap provided you dont eat out in posh restaurant.I can tell you that life here is not easy though and although you can save quite easily here,it is rather boaring.

i am so happy for all the responses i had....
for me its still just work work

my toe is healing very nicely... thnx to all for best wishes/ duahs

Yw gabi

Hi Nathan, thanks for your kind response but if you were replying to me, I wasn't the one asking :)  It was abansari.  I seriously WISH I lived in Jeddah, from all the good things everybody has to say about that city; however, I'm in Riyadh, for better or worse (sounds like a marriage :/).

Lol@allieecat marriage isn't so bad it's worse hehehehe just kidding

what is the best way to handle "cluster headaches":sosad:

when i was home i did not knowwhat the meaning of headaches.lol

Gabicape wrote:

Hi Gabi, I am prone to get migraines and although I am not able to get my US prescribed meds here, my doc has prescribed something called 'revacod' that does the trick.  Try to get your primary care physician to prescribe it and good luck with it.

hey gabicape...their may some things which may precipitate cluster headaches which you should avoid e.g. some people get an attack from caffeine, smoking, high altitude etc.
Medication like revacod (paracetamol + codeine) may be effective. I suggest you go for it as long as you have no problems with the ingredients.  alternatively Naproxen or Ibuprofen are recommended by few. some abortive therapy includes Immigran and Ergot derivatives
@ Alliecat...if you know the name of the med you cant get in
Saudi - i can check it out for you if you like. just pm me

Gabicape wrote:

what can i say ,welcome to saudi,the place that brings out all the kak.I suggest 2 grandpa`s and lots of sleep.

2 grandpa's ? :huh:

Alliecat wrote:

sorry alli.its a south african cure for any stubern head aches.it comes in a powder form and work very fast.
;)

its type of an aspirin but in a powder form

nathan69 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

sorry alli.its a south african cure for any stubern head aches.it comes in a powder form and work very fast.
;)

Is that a brand name or just slang?

Because, of course, I took 'grandpa' literally and so was .. somewhat .. shocked (!!) at your suggested cure to sleep with TWO of them!!

Now, if you'd said, take two handsome young men ... :lol: ..

well, might not cure your headache but would make you forget about it for awhile lol

Alliecat wrote:

Because, of course, I took 'grandpa' literally and so was .. somewhat .. shocked (!!) at your suggested cure to sleep with TWO of them!!

well, might not cure your headache but would make you forget about it for awhile lol

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Poor grandpas ... and in saudi of all places

Alliecat wrote:

why would i suggest any young men when i could just suggest myself if she needed that type of cure.lol

nathan69 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

why would i suggest any young men when i could just suggest myself if she needed that type of cure.lol

lol too serious