RIYADH NEWCOMER NEEDS HELP!!

Hello everyone.

I am a 28 year old single male teacher in Manchester, England.

I am starting work in Riyadh in a few weeks and quite scared and excited about it.

Accommodation is one of the big worries for me as i wont have much time to find somewhere to live. Living quarters are not including with the job, but i do have an allowance which doesnt seem like it will cover a place in an expat compound.

My work is located in the Al Izdihar (sorry for the spelling!) region.

Does anyone want to be friends? :D

Saqib

Hey Saqib, and welcome to the forum.

Yeah, it's a really nice, and sophisticated neighborhood they put you, Saqib. And by the way, I don't think it would be a problem where to live at all. It might take a while to get into an expat compound, but you'd be fine.

I really hope you find it interesting here in the kingdom, and good luck, Saqib.

Ramon,

Thanks Ramon :)

Are you a saudi national? I'm glad you think the neighbourhood is good. The school is manarat al riyadh. have you heard of it?

Do you think an expat compound would be the best option then?

You're welcome, Saqib.

Yes, I'm Saudi Arabian, and I've heard about that school, not much, though. And yes, I think living in an expat compound  would be the best.

By the way, here's the website of the institution, Ma'arif, that your school is included in it.

manaratschools.com/defaulten.aspx

Best of luck, Saqib.

Welcome to the kingdom :)

every one goes through those feelings at a point when moving to a new place. just read about in the forum. get ready for the culture shock before your shocked and get here and kick off ;)

Salman

Hi Saqib,

Welcome to the forum as well as Riyadh! 

The advice that you live in a compound is pretty much worthless since there is generally a waiting list of months (if not years) for most.  I think it's a fair guess you want someplace to live as soon as you arrive? :lol:

There's been a lot written on this topic (if you haven't gone through all the threads, you certainly should).  The procedure seems to be that people live in hotels or furnished apts. while making the rounds of compounds and getting their names on lists.  The important thing after that is follow-up (here in Saudia, the creaking wheel most certainly gets the grease).

I know that Musicman has, in the past, given the names of some decent furnished apts. so find that thread and git to gittin'!

Oh, and best of luck ;)

Hi Salman :) good to hear from you.

I've read about life in the kingdom loads and i think im ready for almost anything! plus i was brought up muslim and so there shouldnt be TOO MUCH of a culture shock.

I'll just behave like i do with my parents!

the heat will be the big test though. cant wait to get there :)

Alliecat - you sound spot on about the waiting lists for the ideal places to live (plus i dont think my accommodation alowance gets anywhere near their cost!)

I'll be sure that I creak plenty when i get there.

your replies are very much appreciated. Many thanks. I'll get on to the other thread you mention.

Ta chuck!

Jeezum crow!

I've spent hours and hours surfing and amassing massive lists of various compounds and its blindingly obvious the im not gonna get to live in one!

thats terrible! what the hell am i going to do?????? :sosad:

Saq-81 wrote:

Jeezum crow!

I've spent hours and hours surfing and amassing massive lists of various compounds and its blindingly obvious the im not gonna get to live in one!

thats terrible! what the hell am i going to do?????? :sosad:

Well, in the US you could live in a box under a bridge but, unfortunately, there are no bridges in Riyadh, so that suggestion is out! ;)

But all isn't lost; again I refer you to musicman's list of furnished apts.

Oh, and jeezum crow? never heard that before and I think I love it :lol:

good isnt it?

I nicked it (and many other things) off the simpsons.

and i looked and looked but cant find musicmans list of furnished apartments.

so i emailed him asking about them...he sounds like a bit of a legend of these pages by the looks of things

:cool:

Saq-81 wrote:

he sounds like a bit of a legend

Yeah... but please don't get him started with his "I came here 30 years ago, with just the shirt on my back, planning to stay for two years" story!! :lol:

PS.  'with just the shirt on my back' was my embellishment ha!

what - did he have a vest?

or a mankini or somehing? lol

i'd love to see that...but not the reprisals

:P

Saq-81 wrote:

what - did he have a vest?

or a mankini or somehing? lol

i'd love to see that...but not the reprisals

:P

Be careful what you wish for!!

http://bruneirugby.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/borat.jpg

Oh, I should probably add that the pic is not of musicman but it IS a mankini!! :lol::lol::lol:

ewwwwwwwww!

so much for help with accommodation!

:sick

Maybe I should go out to Al Falah Sports store and buy meself one of those to welcome young Saqib to Riyadh?

Hev responded to your PM, Saq. Hope that will help. Anyway do contact me when you come and we can find something suitable. My office is in Olaya and there are many places in that vicinity that may serve your needs.

Don't lie, that was MM in his younger days!  :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OMG, Im laughing so hard, I want to cry!  MM, maybe you should go and get another suit and we can compare photos!  A 'then' and 'now!'

SAQ-81 - welcome to the forum!  Im sure that MM can assist you with housing, but dont hesitate to go on line right now and place your name on the waiting lists for the compounds that you would like to live in.  Yes, the lists are long, but there is always the chance that you will be called.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained!  Cheers!

I don't know if such partial nudity is allowed in the forum. :lol:

MM, I didnt know you had a mustache :P

Hey Saq-81, welcome to KSA and forum hope you have great fun here. I am sure you will people on this forum are really helpful.

Anil

If You Don't Stand For Something, You'll Fall For Anything

what a popular x-rated thread this is becoming!

firstly - MM - please dont feel the need to get one of those to welcome me in. fully dressed and a firm handshake is good for me :D i will send you an email regarding the one you sent me. I think you're going to be worth the weight of youre moustache in gold to me! (hehe).

CAF - many thanks for the advice. I have a massive list of compounds and not all have websites. Those that do dont always reply. I've got a form to fill in for one, but i think they need the work visa (iqama?) details, which i dont have yet (as my employer needs their wheels greasing...).

My accommodation allowance is about 20k tho, which is about half for a compound right? grr! :|

Anil - thanks for the welcome mate. these people are proving themselves gems already. lookin forward to gettin to know you all better.

Saq-81 wrote:

what a popular x-rated thread this is becoming!

:lol::lol::lol:

We could all get into one one of those "thangs" at the next BBQ at JillnDave's place?

Sweet gorilla of Manila!

my idea of the kingdom was wildly inaccurate!

Saq-81 wrote:

Sweet gorilla of Manila!

my idea of the kingdom was wildly inaccurate!

Your idea was probably correct.  Our antics here are the result of the repression in which we live :lol:

Saq-81 wrote:

Sweet gorilla of Manila!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

we are what we wear....

Saq-81 wrote:

Hello everyone.

I am a 28 year old single male teacher in Manchester, England.

I am starting work in Riyadh in a few weeks and quite scared and excited about it.

Accommodation is one of the big worries for me as i wont have much time to find somewhere to live. Living quarters are not including with the job, but i do have an allowance which doesnt seem like it will cover a place in an expat compound.

My work is located in the Al Izdihar (sorry for the spelling!) region.

Does anyone want to be friends? :D

Saqib

Salaams Saqib,

Fellow mancunian here.

welcome to KSA.

been here for 10 months now ..im sure you will like it..after you get over the rules...

Anyway let me know when you arrive

Saeed

Sweet yeti of the Serengeti !! another manc!

Alright our kid!

are you a teacher an' all saeed?

i'll deffo give you a shout when i get there.

Alliecat wrote:
Saq-81 wrote:

he sounds like a bit of a legend

Yeah... but please don't get him started with his "I came here 30 years ago, with just the shirt on my back, planning to stay for two years" story!! :lol:

PS.  'with just the shirt on my back' was my embellishment ha!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

For heaven sake.....shut up Allie ..I m practically lmfao after reading the thread which was nothing less than threat for Saq when u posted Borat image...hehehehe :lol::lol::lol:

you have saved our day or we would be reading the story of MM ..hehehehe

and Saq don't worry dear...u r in safe hands...:gloria  (I was looking for demon smily but got this):P

Saq is OK. He will be fine here. You just gotta cross the bridges once you come to them.

MM, who says we 'wear' ...the abaya covers all.

Sparrow wrote:

MM, who says we 'wear' ...the abaya covers all.

True.. unless we meet in the DQ lol

There have been exciting developments for me today. Someone somewhere in saudi did some admin work!!

this means ive been asked to send my passport to the embassy in london to get it stamped!

unfortunately the admin worked occured on a british public holiday so i have to wait til the morning toi post my package! d'oh!

allie  you were right about squeaky wheels. its how i got my oil, so credit to you. (y)

thats why we have so much oil here....

I'm surprised its not run out!

:lol:

once it runs out we will have to look for alternate chemicals for greasing, and that would be tough on the local biznez network and the administration

Hi, my name is Yusuf from Leicester

I like Saqib has got a post at Manarat al Riyadh and I am looking for an apartment with exactly the same amount as Saqib near the school.

I am looking to make friends in Riyadh with fellow expats

Ahlan wah sahlan Ar Riyadh, KSA
(Welcome to Riyadh)
for both of you... Saqib and Sledge...

there are so many apartments you can choose from..
for 20K for sure you can find a nice one outside the compound..
(1)some apartments cost only 10k for one room, one kitchen, one bathroom and a living room.
and some are even higher...

(2)other apartments with 2 bedrooms, one kitchen,one bathroom and a living room cost 16k and more...

btw, those costs is for one year stay...it is very common that they will collect half of the payment for a whole year...

if you have accompany (maybe sledge),you can take the 2nd option so you can still save your money..

anyways, its up to you...whichever you prefer...

no worries... there are many new apartments coming up..
its like a mushroom, it just popped up from nowhere...:)

just a piece of  advice, try to learn some arabics, it would help you a lot..

Good luck!!!
Hope you'll get a nice trip!!

Thank you for that

Yusuf, I have already explained in detail to Saqib about whats available and what may be possible options for him as a single person. You may want to discuss it with him before you come since both of you will be working for the same outfit here. I myself, live round the corner of Manarat, and hence am willing to assist you guys when you do land. Dont worry too much, the available options are enormous.