Hotel or Apartment?

Moving to Guangzhou in February and wondering whether it's better to rent an private apartment or rent one of the 'apartments'that are advertised in hotels? Maybe it's better to rent a room in a shared apartment? Don't know anyone in the city but am intelligent, friendly and easy to get on with? From what I've read the area around the Garden hotel seems to be a good place for expats? What do people think? Any other good places to live? My budget's up to 4300 yn.

Have no idea cuz i live in my dorm in uni :rolleyes:

I remember the days of living in university accommodation......good times!

Paddywaks1967 wrote:

Yeah they really r..but im about to graduate next year,so I will leave soon. :/

jjlovelva wrote:
Paddywaks1967 wrote:

Yeah they really r..but im about to graduate next year,so I will leave soon. :/

Guys enjoy the good time!

With 4300 yuan you can definitely rent a decent flat entirely for yourself (a two-bedroom one if you are lucky). But it depends on the location of the flat and the agent fees. The area around the Garden Hotel is a good choice with shopping centres, restaurants and clubs. Don't forget the lovely pubs hidden among the living quarters. I remember there was a post about renting a flat around Zhujiangxincheng on this forum. Or perhaps you can consider Dongshankou. The district has very convenient transport facilities and good flats at reasonable prices. You may want to share a flat with other people. In that case you may be able to rent a much better flat.

Good luck!

Hi Chym77

Good to hear that there are a lot of good places to live in Guangzhou and that I have a number of options available to me. Looking forward to living there. As I don't know anyone there, I'll probably be tempted to share a flat...either with expats or Chinese people. More interested in the lovely pubs than the clubs to be honest. Like to be able to sit with a nice cold beer..or whiskey...talking and laughing with friends. Loud clubs where you can't hear yourself think don't do that much for me....though I like to jump up and down with the best of them every now and then.

Michael

Right. The area around the Garden Hotel sounds a good choice for your then. I think a kind expat will show you around the lovely pubs there. But don't rule out Zhujiangxincheng or Dongshankou. You won't know whether you like it or not until you are there.

To be honest, I don't rule anywhere out at the moment as I just don't know the city well enough. Think when I get there I'll get a vibe for somewhere I like and know that I want to live there. Fully intend to learn the language as well so don't just want to mingle with expats.

Michael

Well. I also think you should learn the language, so that you can bargain with real estate agents for a local price for a very good flat. Hehe. But expats can tell you a lot about their experiences about coping with local people. Maybe their stories can help you to keep to the right track.

As to me...I can only offer my advice and say, 'Welcome!';)

Thanks Chym

Good to have someone welcome me to the city. Is Guangzhou your home city? Read somewhere you'd been to Yorkshire? Ever venture further up north to Newcastle Upon Tyne?

Michael

Guangzhou is not my home city. But I received four years of schooling there, and I worked there for a few years. Also I have a flat under my name in Dongshankou. So I am very familiar with the district. I have leased my flat to a new tenant by the way.

I have been to the Yorkshire Dales and the city of York. The north-most city I have been to in the UK is Aberdeen. A Japanese girl and I stayed with a host family there.

Are you another British on this forum?

Hi Chym

Happy Christmas! I'm English but from an Irish background. Aberdeen's a little bit up the road from me in Scotland. Did you like the place? Very cold this time of year.

Michael

Hi Najiharbi

Not sure what I'll do yet. I get free Mandarin Lessons anyway so I'll see how it goes.

Michael

Hi Michael, welcome to GZ,
one of my friends got a flat with two bedrooms and now is going to share one with others, the flat is closed to the Guangzhou railway station and convinient for getting around by metro or buses. We are young teenagers just graduated from college and will be very happy to have a friend from an oversea country, contact me if this information is of to your interested.;)

Hi Kim
Thanks for the welcome. Not in Guanghou until end of March now as have to go to Shanghai for a month or so. Happy to meet up when I do get there.

Regards
Michael

Merry Christmas!

Excuse me, but what is 'up the road from me in Scotland'?

I like meat pies and shortbreads. The haggis is my favourite. But I don't eat animal flesh except for eggs and milk now. But still, haggis tastes really good. Our host took us to visit stone houses that allegedly dated back to a century ago then (a century ago if I remember it well). Also I like the orange colour of the Scottish ox. Awesome! Have you been there?

[Moderated: please post in classifieds]

Hi Chym

If you say that something is up or down the road you mean that it is nearby.

Been to Scotland many many times. Some parts are very beautiful.

Haven't eaten meat or fish in over 20 years so living in Guangzhou should be interesting as I've heard that they eat anythint there?

Michael

Thanks for the explanation!

I started my lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet transition around three years ago. It was hard for me not to eat any animal flesh altogether at the beginning. So I started with a semi-vegetarian diet without certain animal flesh first. For example, I ate fish and had meat soup first, and then no more fish or meat soup. It was more difficult than I thought. A healthy vegetarian diet is not just about brushing aside the meat on the plate. You need to eat a rich variety of other food, such as nuts, legumes, dried fruit, etc. In fact, I spent more than one year to adapt to the new diet.

I tried snake meat dishes, dog meat dishes and worm soup before. Some people here are said to eat rat meat dishes. But you are not advised to try that for hygienic and health concerns. Have you tried any of these dishes?

Haven't tried snake or dog...ever! Dogs are pets in the uk and nobody eats them. Did you become a veggie for health or moral reasons?

Michael

apartment

Dog meat dishes used to be very popular in some parts of Guangdong. I don't know if they are as popular now.

I pray for true happiness and someone who truly cares for me. My diet change is not related to temple rules or health or moral concerns.

Dogs are lovely animals. But I consider them part of the food chain sometimes. Since I am a veggie now, you don't have to worry that your dog will become my food one day.:lol:

How about bugs and worms? Have you tried any?

Hi Chym

Happy New Year!

Lol! Never tried bugs or worms though I'm sure some people like them. Just not for me.

Michael

happy new year

Happy new year! :D

Welcome to Guangzhou, I am local here.

You can rent a very good apartment in the center of the city for RMB4300/month.

Do you have any Chinese friends or colleague here? I think you'd better ask them to help you. The real estate agents will mark up the price as you are foreigner.

Qcychen

I've heard that real estate agents try to mark up prices for foreigners so I know I'll have to be a bit careful. Don't know anyone in Guangzhou yet though I've chatted to some very nice people from this website and, hopefully, I'll meet up with them when I get to Guangzhou.

Regards
Michael

i think you can get a very good department in guangzhou

i think 3000 rmb ,you can rent a house with two bedrooms and a living room

Paddywaks1967 wrote:

Qcychen

I've heard that real estate agents try to mark up prices for foreigners so I know I'll have to be a bit careful. Don't know anyone in Guangzhou yet though I've chatted to some very nice people from this website and, hopefully, I'll meet up with them when I get to Guangzhou.

Regards
Michael

I think you can stay in the hotel first, then search for a good apartment.

Do you come here for business or ???

Coming to Guangzhou to live and work. Be there for at least a year, probably more.

Regards
Michael