Organize your move to the Virgin Islands

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to the Virgin Islands.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to the Virgin Islands:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in the Virgin Islands?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in the Virgin Islands?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to the Virgin Islands?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

My advice to anyone moving anywhere outside of their countries would be to store your belongings and move to your new area. Stay for 1 yr to see if you like it and if so, then decide what to bring etc.

Even US territories are vastly different than living in the US. Many people come to the VI, stay awhile and decide they don't like it after they have disposed of all their belongings. Living away from home is sometimes difficult for alot of people.

I wouldn't bring furniture to the VI. Some furniture would be harmed by the elements of salt air and humidity. I would see what I didn't need and bring only those things that I really cherish.

Cars: It all depends. The cost of shipping a car is around (approx) $1,500.00. Once here, they assess a import fee of 5% on the vehicle if it is made in the US. If the car is foreign, the import fee is higher.  The roads aren't really all that good. Lots of ruts, potholes, sinkholes, etc and are rough on cars. I would not bring a car here. Purchase one here and a good, used car that is reliable.

I'm not aware of banned foodstuffs here, but bringing plants or food into the VI would have to be declared and Customs might make a decision on their entry based on the VI Dept of Agriculture rules and regulations. I know definately on plants, I'm not sure about food. Depends on what it might be.

When bringing anything to the VI, you must keep in mind that the climate is usually around 70-85 degrees all yr long. It's a tropical climate so light clothing is best. We have Hurricane season from June 1st to Nov. 30 each yr and you have to be aware and prepare.
Life is slower paced here so patience is a virtue!
We have sporadic electrical outtages, internet outtages occasionaly and some cell phone disruptions; however, I wouldn't trade it nor would I go back to the mainland.

I love it here. The climate, the people are wonderful, the ocean is always 80 degrees and life in general is 5,000% better than anywhere else I've been. I can't imagine anyone not loving it here.

Dear Nancy,

Thank you very much for the precisions you gave about life in BVI
I am really interested in living there & since I can come without VISA from Tunisia
I am planning to go there, & if I find a good job, I will be glad to live there. ( I am a bit worried about the hurricane)
  Again thank you :)

Take care

Dear Challenger27,
My post re the VI was about the US VI: not the British VI. I know nothing about life in the BVI.

As to your worries about Hurricanes. You will get advanced warnings well ahead re the strength of the Hurricane and housing in the Caribbean is structurally sound to withstand large storms. Most are solid concrete, well constructed and you'll be fine. If it so happens that a strong Hurricane comes your way, you can always jump on a plane out of the storm. (I plan to do that with a direct hit of a category 4 or 5)
There will be no problem for your safety except for the damage that the storm will do: electric interruptions and the like.

I lived in California most of my life and I'd rather be in a Hurricane than experience earthquakes which are frequent in CA.

Enjoy!

@Challenger27 -> The thread title is Organize your move to the Virgin Islands. To avoid being off topic here, I suggest you to start a new thread on the British virgin islands forum with your questions. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie