Unemployement & Health Insurance

Hello,

here's the case. I've been unemployed for the past 3 months. My basic health insurance will expire in the beginning of November. For now I do have a valid EHIC, but after that I don't know what to do.

Since I'm still recovering after pulmonary embolism and already have meds supply, I need my regular and frequent blood check-ups at the hospital or health center.

Can I apply for health insurance in Malta, even though I'm not employed yet? If that's possible, what paperwork do I need? And how much does it cost? And where to go?

Any info will be appreciated

Thanx,

Ursa

Hi Ursa,

it always seems to be me answering questions -)))

AS soon as you become a resident of Malta ( ID card in Malta) or after 3 months your EHIC card is not valid here.

As you are unemployed and from the EU you should register with the ETC as being unemployed. Until they offer you a job that you have to take or for a certain period of time you should qualify for free health insurance.

After that you would have to apply for private health insurance which could be expensive with pre-existing conditions or could even be denied.

So your first visit would be the ETC ( job office).

Cheers
Ricky

I don't mind :)))

After that you would have to apply for private health insurance which could be expensive with pre-existing conditions or could even be denied.

That's a bit disturbing...

So, ETC it is.

Thanx again Ricky,

Cheers,
Ursa

ricky wrote:

it always seems to be me answering questions -)))

Its because you are a wealth of knowledge oh great guru of knowing stuff....:lol: