Public transportation in the Virgin Islands

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in the Virgin Islands ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in the Virgin Islands?

Thanks in advance for participating!

The Virgin Islands has a public bus system called VITrans. There are covered bus stops all over the island. I haven't used a bus in over 3 yrs, but I think they've improved their reliability. It seems the closer to the 2 largest cities here, the better they are. Fares for public buses are around $1.00 one way.Very reasonable.

They also have Gov't regulated Taxi's. Their fares are a little higher. It might cost $8.00 to go from mid island to town one way.

We also have what we call "gypsie taxi's." These are vans operated by people who are on waiting lists to get a Gov't taxi license. Their fares are much cheaper. Might cost $3.00 to go from mid island to town one way.

Traveling by bus and taxi's on island is very safe. I never had a problem or heard of one. And most taxi drivers are very friendly. Will give you a short "infomercial" on life on the island. Very helpful folks.

They also have a Gov't run van for the disabled. For people who live here, you need to get a Drs statement and take it to an office and you can then call for transportation. They pickup and dropoff at your residence. I think there may be a small charge.

I use a personal car as I'm disabled and have too many different Drs and therapy appts to go to during the wk.

You can buy an affordable used car here on island. I recommend an older car. Registration is around $45 for a yr, $10 inspection fee and insurance is usually around $300 for the yr.
An older car is preferable for me due to the road conditions: (potholes) and parking your car in a lot here gets you alot of scrapes and dings. Salt air and winds usually take its toll on paint on cars also.

Hi DogloverfromVI,

Thank you for your contribution. :)