Cost of living in Spain in 2024

Hello everyone,

As every year, we invite you to share your experience regarding the cost of living in Spain, and if possible, in the specific region or city where you live. This will help members who are planning to relocate in Spain.

Here are some points to guide you; the idea is to provide average prices for each category:

When it comes to housing, what is the cost of renting or buying an apartment or house in Spain?

How much do you pay for public transports such as buses, subways, trains, trams, or taxis?

Could you share the average monthly cost of your grocery shopping?

What is the cost of health insurance? How much does a medical consultation cost in Spain?

What are the tuition fees for children?

What are the average monthly costs for electricity, gas, water, internet, and phone plans?

For leisure activities, how much does it cost monthly?

If there are other expenses you find relevant, please feel free to share them!

Thank you for your contribution.

Expat.com Team

When it comes to housing, what is the cost of renting or buying an apartment or house in Spain?

I pay 700€ for a one bedroom apartment 1/2 block from the beach in Santander (Cantabria).

How much do you pay for public transports such as buses, subways, trains, trams, or taxis?

I don't own a car but use my bike for some trips. Mostly I walk. Local buses cost 0.33€ per ride with a rechargeable card. Because I also take trips to other cities (in Spain and outside) I spend an average of 60€ a month for travel via train or bus.

I cook most meals at home and only eat out about once every two weeks. I spend between 200€ and 400€ a month on groceries (including cleaning supplies).

What is the cost of health insurance? How much does a medical consultation cost in Spain?

I pay 1,700€ annually for health insurance. I have not used the service.

What are the average monthly costs for electricity, gas, water, internet, and phone plans?

Utilities average around 50€ a month for electricity, gas, and water. I pay 24€ for high speed internet and 10€ for pay-as-you-go cell phone each month.

Depending on my activities, I spend between 20€ and 200€ a month. The higher amounts are due to trips to cities where I attend multiple concerts and events within a week or ten days.

@tomwins

Thank you so much for your detailed post !

It is very much appreciated and will definitely benefit members

All the best

Bhavna

I would agree with the above, couple we spent about 75€ a week for food, I cook every meal from scratch, health care is for me 57€ a month but I work so it's normally cheaper, car insurance for a C3 Aircross fully comp is 475€ you don't seem to get a monthly payment option on it here. Utilities about the same, if you want to rent a garage normally around 60€ a month.

For two of us...

Central Madrid, top floor w/terrace, 2 bed 2 bath, US type kitchen size, 120sq meter, we pay €3200. We found this through an agency so we paid fees. We know it's higher than average.

We use metro often and currently it €6.10 for a 10 trip ticket. (normally €12, but government reductions currently). 15-20 minute taxi ride accross town €10-15. 

Around €450

€1200 per year or so with Santitas.  No out of pocket for regular visits.  Generally happy with Sanitas.  Has English help line.

This month- electric €55, gas €300 (yes higher in winter, but around €40-50 in summer), water €20, combo with Orange for 2 Mobile (unlimited data/calls), fast internet, basic TV €85

We travel a lot, so it can vary.  Plan ahead for cheaper train tix or flights of course. 

Month with travel- €400-1000, without- €100-250 with a few average dinners and breakfasts out)

If there are other expenses you find relevant, please feel free to share them!

As many others will say, your average cafe visit with wine/aqua/cafe is €6-10 for two.  Basic fixed menu lunch with pre/main/dessert or cafe €13-15.  Movie tix €7-12 depending on basic or fancy theaters.

Wide variety of music and performance options for €10-30 for single tix.

Hope this helps!

Hello everyone,

I live in Mallorca with my disabled adult son. My elder son works abroad but often comes back to work from home.  They were both born here and the eldest recently acquired Spanish nationality. I moved to Spain in 1982 to work and have just retired!

I bought my 3 bed bungalow in 1997 for €90,000! €400 monthly mortgage payments and it was paid off in 2017. I know rentals are around €1,000.

Buses are free for my son due to his disability and for me as a state pensioner. Service is good so we don't use the train or taxis.

€600 ( a large part being for the animals!)

We have never had private health insurance. Spanish public health care has always been first rate.

What are the tuition fees for children?

My children went to Spanish state school in castellano and catalá which was excellent. The youngest received special assistance which was free. I paid about €50/yr University fees for the eldest as we are considered "familia numerosa" and get a reduction, and he received a full state grant for 5yrs. to do his PhD. I can't praise the system enough.

Electricity is €20/month as we have solar panels (before it was €130). Gas €16 in summer, €42 in winter and water €18.

3 mobiles, land line, internet and full TV package €120.

About €100. Kids pay their own.

-@Cheryl

We just got back from Valencia a couple of days ago. (January 31, 2024) after a horrible experience house hunting.  We did not really want city center.  We wanted a suburban feel.  I used Idealista to find apartments as in my opinion, they have the best selection.  Apartments range in prices from €750 to €1500 for a 2 bedroom 2 bath which is what we were looking for.  We do not yet have our visas.  This was the kiss of death for us.  Most of the realtors I reached out to would not even return my message once they learned I did not have my NIE (Spanish ID number).  What's more, the inexpensive often older and traditional layout apartments are difficult to even look at as an expat.  The realtors present the required information to the owner of the apartment and they decide who will get the apartment.  It is not a fair process.  Turns out, it is illegal to demand an NIE.  It doesn't matter.  The market in Valencia is white hot.  Too many apartment hunters and not enough apartments.  We did eventually find an apartment but, I went through a costly service to do so.  I would not recommend them.  It was $200 for 4 hours of sending me apartments that I had already seen and eliminated through my own process and lists.  My apartment cost €1200 per month and I paid one year in advance to ensure we got it.  So, bring your wallet and a fat bank account to Valencia.  you will need it!

Local trains in Asturias are free if you buy a 4 month pass and make at least 6 trips during that period.  Renfre will refund the cost to your credit card if you pay that way.

Bus fare in Gijón is €0.68 per trip if you buy a pass.

Year round rentals are very difficult to find as many landlords either use the place for a summer home or they rent it out as a summer vacation rental at daily and weekly rates that are unaffordable.   We wish this practice wasn't legal as it's very frustrating having to move out in the summer and try to find affordable quality housing.

Also when looking for places check the energy rating.  Electricity is not cheap, especially in an un insulated house with poor, mold growing ventilation.

Still, we have no intention of leaving.  We will continue to look with patience.

On the brighter side, I have stopped bleeding down my $2000/mo. IRA distributions and have a significant positive cash flow (and savings) with just a pension and

Social security.

@chasleslieb

A little revision to my post after discussion with my wife

Train ride numbers are 16 not 6 but that is easily accomplished.  We exceeded that in two months time.

The rental restrictions are most prevalent if one is searching near the coast.  Further inland where it is colder in winter and hotter in the summer has more places available for year round rentals.

Climate in northern Spain is similar to Pacific Northwest US... moderate temperatures with frequent precipitation.

Electricity was €220 for two 2500 watt electric heaters plus cook stove and water heater in January.  There is a restriction on how much electricity we can use at once so the house has an external breaker that cuts off the electricity to the entire house if we run 3 heaters.  We basically are heating the room we are in and the rest of the house is cold...no insulation and ventilation is poor promoting mold growth... and this is a nice, modern house.

@heapophoto this detail is incredibly helpful as I am planning on moving to Barcelona and believe these numbers are probably interchangeable.

May I ask why gas is so high? Is it for heating? I pay much less in LA for gas but also don't use the heat much …

@lmurphy213 glad you found it helpful.  We lived in LA for 5 years and NorCal before that, so that is our basis for cost comparison.  Yes, gas for heating (radiators and water).  The cost of gas has really gone all over the place in our 3 years in Madrid, but our use has been fairly consistent.  (We had a bill for €800 (!!) once due to price surges after the Ukraine invasion).  We use 2-3 of the 6 or so radiators in our flat from around Nov-Feb.  Maybe poor insulation is a factor (our building built in the 60s probably) and has double pane windows, but not sure about walls/ceilings.  Summer months it's around €100. Electric is higher, but not radically like the gas. 

Happy to help with any other COL questions.  It's an adventure!  :)

I just relized the cost is for TWO months!  D'oh!  I knew that, but forgot.  Sorry for the confusion on that- big difference.   The last few bills for gas...

Jan/Dec 2024- €371

Nov/Oct 2023- €110

Aug/Sept 2023- €105

June/July 2023- €155

Apr/May 2023 €353. (colder spring/house guests/more water heating??)

Live in Torrequebrada just west of Malaga. Rented a long-term 2-BR, 2 bath apartment directly on the water in 2021 for €1.300 p/m and long term rent increases have been capped at 2% so now at €1.355. BUT--equivalent apartments now start at about €2.000 if you can find one--most are Oct--May or holiday rentals. Important to know that that what people are paying for rent is directly related to when they originally rented, as rents have sky-rocketed in our area. The average for the town itself is about €900 studio, €1.000+ for a 1-BR, €1,200+ for 2-BR (a lot of 2-BRs have only one bathroom, are on the small side & do not necessarily have a view).

Private health insurance is €4.100 annually for 2 of us and covers almost everything except prescriptions and newer high tech procedures.

Electric with central heat/AC runs from €80--€160 depending on weather and how much we run heat/AC.

Water has been about €18 per month, but we've been informed water is going up due to the drought and shortage.

Internet €30 p/m, 2 cell phones €24 p/m, TV/music €100 p/m for streaming, VPN, IPTV

Groceries--€600 per month, restaurants/bars €300-€400 per month--we eat out a lot, but like local tapas places--not into 'fine dining.' We eat out a lot more in the warmer months, so this is pretty uneven.

Transport--€100 p/m give or take for bus, train, Uber, cabs. We do not have or need a car. Spent about €5.000 for travel & trips within Spain last year.

Accountants--€500 p/y for tax filings

Hair salon, pharmacy sundries--€75 p/m

Our funds & income are in USD, so the COL definitely varies with currency fluctuations. Rent is sometimes 150 USD more per month depending on the value of the dollar.

@electra777 your accountant is charging a lot to file your tax returns. We are a retired couple and pay 70Euros a year. But she is not an Accountant. She is an Estate agent but does tax returns for English retirees.  . They are not complicated because it's just our state and private pensions.  We pay 550 Euros community fees. Our water is well water but the bill is actually for the electrity for  the pump.

@rogerroberts22  I file in the US and Spain and use 2 different accountants--one for each country, but they've worked together. And I can tell you they are well worth their money. I could file my own US taxes, but it is worth it to have someone else do it for me from here & most US expat tax 'experts' charge way  more than she does.  My Spanish accountant understands the US/Spain tax treaty much better than many attorneys in Spain do. He will deal with the Hacienda for us if there are any issues. As far as the conventional internet tax wisdom, I'll take professionals over internet experts every day of the week.

@electra777 OK I understand now. Your tax returns are far more complex than ours. We used to file our own returns  but I made a mistake one year, so I figured it was wiser to use an expert. We have used her for over 10 years and it's all done with a few clicks on her computer. The only thing I ask her what  is the current exchange rate the Spanish Tax Office sets on the Euro/pound rate.? The rate is always less favourable than I can get elsewhere.

I file in the US and Spain and use 2 different accountants--one for each country, but they've worked together. And I can tell you they are well worth their money. I could file my own US taxes, but it is worth it to have someone else do it for me from here & most US expat tax 'experts' charge way  more than she does.  My Spanish accountant understands the US/Spain tax treaty much better than many attorneys in Spain do. He will deal with the Hacienda for us if there are any issues. As far as the conventional internet tax wisdom, I'll take professionals over internet experts every day of the week.

@Cheryl

I am wondering with an income of approximately 52,000social security checks and a pension plus a small IRA would be paid out in taxes.

Thanks in advance.