Moving to Vieques

My family is potentially moving to vieques for my husband's job, neither of us speak Spanish, and I'm absolutely petrified of the unknown. Any information helps, the good, the bad? What would I be getting into going over there.

Are we really hated as much as the internet makes it out to be?

Are there even job opportunities for someone?

What is the average cost of rent? We can't even find any long term rentals right now? No websites seem to mention long term.

How are the schools? We have a 5 year old who would be starting school over there.

I have so many questions I dont even know how to express them all.

@Ladymcredfoot4

My family moved to Puerto Rico in 2020 and lived there for 2 1/2 years.  I can give you a lot of information in regards to your questions and things that no one could ever tell us before we moved there.  We also did not speak Spanish and had a child in elementary school.  I do not want to dissuade you in any way, but I also feel you need to know what you are about to embark on.  Please send me your email or if there is a way to privately chat I would love to answer your questions in depth.

@Ladymcredfoot4

I sent you a private message.

@chabs182

I'm still trying to work this site, not sure, still learning haha I've obviously heard horror stories, and that's its an amazing place, we have 2 people that we know of living there now. One lives on vieques, and one lives near San Juan. I just feel so many different emotions about it. I feel we are going to be hated by most, but then I've heard they're very welcoming to people as well. It sounds so horrible but I'm just petrified of the not knowing how things work over there, especially going over there with a child my sons age. I've heard there's not even any playgrounds on vieques, how do I keep him happy and not set him up for failure.

Obviously I know you can't answer specifics like that. I'm just really curious the dirty side of what I'm getting into, most people just tell you it's pretty with a lot of petty crime. But no one talks about how hard it is to actually become a wanted part of the community?

Ive lived here for 3 1/2 years i wouldn't say you are hated here. The situation for locals is unfortunate as they are losing the low cost rental homes they have had for years due to developers. we pay $500 for a 3 bedroom house in Humacao & only found it thru a friend that had someone move out the day he asked. The tax breaks aren't given to locals only people moving here. US was very harsh in its treatment for Puerto Ricans when control was taken from Spain & again in 1950's when Nationalist Party tried to take control. PR wasn't able to fly their own flags. Watch some of Bianac Graulau's Youtube channel & learn more about colonial past of PR from her & what's happening. There's lots of crypto & influencers like Paul brothers coming in to escape taxes. Navy used Vieques as a bombing zone & residents forced them out finally but island has high incidence of cancer from it with no local hospital since Maria in 2017. I think once you know some of this you may not say they hate us but understand, most Puerto Ricans are warm friendly people and very welcoming.

@Mermaidmb

I totally understand why people moving there is definitely frowned upon. I want to like tape a sign on us when we go that we're not here for the tax breaks, we arent the techy type, we are going there to work on cars, we are actively teaching ourselves spanish trying to move there with as much appreciation and respect as we can for the island and those who call it home(which will soon be us).