Considering relocating to Cabo Verde

Hello out there!

My name GiGi, I am African American married lesbian. My wife and I are looking to relocate to Africa in the next 3-4 years. I am currently doing research and I came across this forum.

We initially looked in Liberia, Ghana, South Africa. Because we are a queer couple we wanted to move to a country that had a history of welcoming queer people and/or had laws that had some type of LGBT protections for its citizens. We are clear that they would not entirely apply to us but there would be "acceptance" for LGBT community and we could live our lives without fear or harassments (all to a certain extent).

South Africa was the best choice out of our initial list but relocating posed a problem. Based off my research SA allows folks to stay for 90days and if you want to apply for a residency visa it would be either as an retiree, business owner or investor.  We are planning to open our businesses but are not in the position to  right now and with SA visa requirement there is a certain networth they require.

That's when I found Cabo Verde.

I  search LGBT friendly/accepting African countries and easy visa requirements. I learned that Cabo Verde has a digital nomad visa you have to have proof of having amount of money in the bank for a designated amount of time, a multiple entry visa that is good for 5 years and maybe an easier path to permanently residing in Cabo Verde. And LBGT Cape Verdeans have some legal protection and at the very least they will not be harassed  or persecuted/prosecuted for being queer.

My wife and I are both college educated, we each have masters degrees, have worked in social services, nonprofits and nonprofit management, social service program development and youth program development to name a few areas.

Our goal is to move back "Home" to a place where we feel safe from sexual and racial discrimination, where we can live a nice and comfortable lifestyle and equally important were we can impactfully contribute to the community that we will become members. We of course are prepared to learn Portuguese and Kriolu.

Right now I am in the process of researching businesses people that can help with relocation "activities" such as visas, housing, social scene, business or community needs that we could possibly help with create solutions for community members and remote work or jobs Cabo Verde. Also, attorneys for business, finances, immigration, etc.

Some questions:

-Is there a LBGT section or neighborhood or  establishments?

-We have dogs, is there adequate veterinarian care?

-Areas to rent or buy in that are within walking distance to the beach, grocery stores and restaurants that are safe for 2 queer women?

-Is there a Black Expat community?

-What  are some areas of improvement or needs that the expats could help assist or help solve?

-A general sense of cost of living for moderately comfortable lifestyle.

-Do we need to import our car? Do we need  our car? If so, are there mechanics that can do all of the necessary repairs and maintenance? (I know that last question may sound stupid but my question really is how expensive is it to have your own car with the price of gasoline, maintenance, repairs and the quality of service) What has been folks experience if any?

-Is there Uber/Lyft or any other rideshare companies?

-What is the racial, political climate? ( You are safe to assume that growing up and living in the States, we have a lion share of trauma and although we are clear that no place is Utopia we want to make that we are not moving to a place that is just as bad or worse)

-Is there load shedding? Period of time where the electricity is turned off? Any water issues?

Any other information/tips that anyone would like to share is most appreciated! 

We would be making a "discovery visit" sometime in the fall of 2024 or Winter/Spring of 2025. A possible move in 2026 or 2027.

Thank you!

GiGi

@GiGiPhilly

Hi GiGi,

I've provided answers and other suggestions below:

I  search LGBT friendly/accepting African countries and easy visa requirements. I learned that Cabo Verde has a digital nomad visa you have to have proof of having amount of money in the bank for a designated amount of time, a multiple entry visa that is good for 5 years and maybe an easier path to permanently residing in Cabo Verde.

Don't bother with the "digital nomad visa". It's a complete waste of your time. Just enter Cape Verde as a tourist (you get a 30-day visa but you don't have to worry about the exiration of it), next register a TAX-FREE business, and then apply for permanent residency (they do not care one iota if your existing tourist visa has long expired). There are no income requirements and you won't have to leave Cape Verde after 12 months, which is one of the conditions of the useless "digital nomad visa". Also, please note that they no longer issue 5-year multiple entry tourist visas.

And LBGT Cape Verdeans have some legal protection and at the very least they will not be harassed  or persecuted/prosecuted for being queer.

Yes, there are legal and constituional protections. Harrassment due to one's sexual orientation is not a thing in Cape Verde. Here, no one cares about your sexual orientation. There are many people in CV of the LGBT orientation. All are welcome. I've previously had several same sex couples (inluding one couple that was legally married) relocate to CV. Zero problems. The only issue you will face is that same-sex marriages are not legally recognized in CV. So on all government forms and applications, you will have to apply for everything (like visas) separately.

My wife and I are both college educated, we each have masters degrees, have worked in social services, nonprofits and nonprofit management, social service program development and youth program development to name a few areas. Our goal is to move back "Home" to a place where we feel safe from sexual and racial discrimination, where we can live a nice and comfortable lifestyle and equally important were we can impactfully contribute to the community that we will become members. We of course are prepared to learn Portuguese and Kriolu.

Given your background and skills, I have no doublt that you would be very comfortable in Cape Verde.

Right now I am in the process of researching businesses people that can help with relocation "activities" such as visas, housing, social scene, business or community needs that we could possibly help with create solutions for community members and remote work or jobs Cabo Verde. Also, attorneys for business, finances, immigration, etc.

I can certainly help with all that. Note that you do not need to engage lawyers to do any of these things in CV. It's an extremely poor country and few people can afford lawyers. Thus for most services and activities, the procedures are such that the average person can get all of these things done via the Casa do Cidadao, Cartorio (civil registry) and the Camara Municipal (local government office) with very low fees. You don't need to pay lawyers thousands of dollars to do any civil procedures here.

Some questions:

-Is there a LBGT section or neighborhood or  establishments?

No there are not! Why would there be any need for this? We do not distinguish between people by sexual orientation.

-We have dogs, is there adequate veterinarian care?

Yes, there is more than adequate vet care.

-Areas to rent or buy in that are within walking distance to the beach, grocery stores and restaurants that are safe for 2 queer women?

As stated earlier, no one cares about anyone else's sexual orientation. You can easily find places that are to your liking in safe areas. The loser to the beach you want to get, obviousl,y the higher the rent will be.

-Is there a Black Expat community?

No, we do not distinguish ourselves by race or ethnicity. So no such community exists.

-What  are some areas of improvement or needs that the expats could help assist or help solve?

Poverty here is widesread. There are few jobs. But there is no way for individuals to solve this problem. Even the government is so short of recources and budgets that they can barely make a dent in this situation. But you can help individuals on an individual basis. I personally help 5 families, by providing or helping the single mothers find jobs (usually with my clients in the Expat community), by paying for school books, monthly school transport, monthly lessons. But you can't just throw money at just anyone because some people will simply put that money to uses you did not intend. So I help other expats find deserving families that can truly use the financial assistance to improve the situation of themeselves and especially their children. You would be amazed at how much $100 a month can help. For example, that could provide transport and extra lessons for two kids. And with $120 a month you could employ one person.

-A general sense of cost of living for moderately comfortable lifestyle.

The cost of living has gone up over the last 5 years. Today, it costs about $1,200 per month to live extremely well (including housing, utilities, internet, food, transport). There are a lot of Euopen retirees who relocate to CV because there is no way to survivev anywhere in Europe with a pension of this level, but in CV you would live like royalty. Plus, the weather is perfect year-round. How can you beat that? One caveat: if you choose to live on the tourist islands of Sal or Boavista, the cost of living will be 50-100% higher.

-Do we need to import our car? Do we need  our car? If so, are there mechanics that can do all of the necessary repairs and maintenance? (I know that last question may sound stupid but my question really is how expensive is it to have your own car with the price of gasoline, maintenance, repairs and the quality of service) What has been folks experience if any?

Do NOT import any cars into Cape Verde. You will pay a 100% import duty on the value of the car AND the cost of transporting it here. Just don't even think about it. Sell your car there and buy a used car here. And stick to the reliable Japanese brands as those are the ones for which you will easily find parts, and mechanics galore. The Chevy Cruz has also become extremely popular in the last 5 years. HOwever, if you live in Praia, you won't even need a car. The buses go everywhere across the city (monthly pass is $30). Then there are taxis everywhere, at all hours ($1.50-2 per trip). Remember, Cape Verde is extremely tiny. The longest distance you could possibly travel is about  40 miles and that's on the island of Santiago, the largest of the 9 inhabeted islands! A car is a luxury and an unnecessary expense. It would cost about $150 per month to operate and maintain a car. I own a car myself, but primarily for business.

-Is there Uber/Lyft or any other rideshare companies?

No. It's not a business model that makes any sense here because the majority of the population is poor so they walk or take the bus.

-What is the racial, political climate? ( You are safe to assume that growing up and living in the States, we have a lion share of trauma and although we are clear that no place is Utopia we want to make that we are not moving to a place that is just as bad or worse)

It's not a thing here!

-Is there load shedding? Period of time where the electricity is turned off? Any water issues?

There is no load shedding here, although maybe once every three months the electricity may be cut for 2 hours if there are maintenance issues. Water is a scarce commodity in CV and is not supplied in the mains 24 x7. It is usually in the mains for 2-3 hours a day. Therefore, every single house/apartment has a 1-2 ton water tank on the roof. They fill up automatically when there is water in the mains and they act as the standby water supply. Many people also keep a shipping-barrel full of water inside the house (usual in the bathrooms). I have never spent a single day without water.

Best regards,

Angelo

Angelo,

Thank you  so much for your time providing in depth answers and clarity about my concerns 

I will be in touch with you  soon!

@GiGiPhilly

I lived in CV for 1.5 years. I'm far from an expert but I agree with everything Angelo is kindly saying.

I'm white/straight, but I wouldn't say there is zero LBGT stigma, it being a macho culture, and maybe a bit gossipy (small island and history a bit like Jamaica, but I never heard any hate speech), and of course most people are not well travelled/exposed/"politically correct".

But ultimately people simply won't care enough, they have bigger issues to deal with than being homophobic, they are generally sweet and discreet, and love foreigners, and will be far more interested in what's in your heart (and ...yeah let's face it...sometimes wallet).

Of all the places in the world to be it's one of the best, most tolerant, and chill. No tribal/ethnic/religious strife or xenophobia, quite the opposite, will welcome you with open arms especially if you want to 'give back'.

Hi Simon5723,

thank you for your response. its encouraging to hear that.

how has your experience living in CV? what island do you live on? any tips for or lessons you learned in your last 1.5 there?

we're visiting in June for a wee. A quick trip but we are so excited!

Hi @GiGiPhilly, you're welcome. I lived in Tarrafal, Santiago (the most African of the islands), a great little community and the best mix of all I think, very diverse scenery, not far from the capital but still far enough.

Then also 1 month in Mindelo which was also great, rather different, more Brazilian feel to it, windy and less green but also a spectacular island.

I also visited Fogo, Brava, San Antao, Maio, all nice trips which felt like different countries.

I have also lived a little in Senegal, Uganda, Rwanda, zanzibar...

One week is short, and so I would stick to those two islands myself, or just one, but you'll get the picture quick enough. There's no bad places, except some of the more deprived parts of Praia I guess; the biggest factor would be isolation/solitude, the smaller places can be very very quiet, especially in the evenings.

Lots of little tips and memories, really, but nothing vital, but do ask again nearer the time if you want.