Visiting Cuenca to consider living there

Hi, 

I plan to spend November in Cuenca determining whether to move there.  I live in Minneapolis in the US - climate is a consideration as well as cost of living.  I am looking to connect with expats to gain knowledge.

I'll be happy to help.  Write me at [email protected] for a quicker reply.

Edd Staton

My name is Lil.  I have become very interested in ecuador and have some hard decisions to make.  First, I am concern about thoes that move over permanently to live on Insuline, medical services,weather and  crime.  It all sounds like paridise, but is it real?

Hloa, I'm from MN also. If you like Minnesota's spring and fall you'll love Cuenca's weather.cost of living is very low here.
Jimmy

Hi Lil,

Ecuador is a country like many others. Has good things and bad things.

About your concerns, Medical services havr improved a lot in Ecuador, health system in Cuenca is good and private insurance is really cheap compare to USA, and no pre condition issues.
Weather in Cuenca is good, I don't know where you live in the States but for me, it was great to stay away from the snow.
In Cuenca usually is sunny in the morning, sometimes rain in the evening and nights are cold.
There in no heat in ecuadorian houses.

And about crime, well, is a big problem in Ecuador, mostly in Guayaquil and Quito but not in Cuenca.

Hope this info will be helpuf for you.

Regards
Vinny

Well done Grady!  you really hit the spot.  I did not dare ask all of this, but I am also curious about the same things. Some of the people  have very different comments about moving out of USA.   I am so confused at this point not sure if I will be doing the right thing. especially on medical issues. My husband is on insulin and  and we both are on heart and high pressue medication.   Unfortunally we will not be able to go until next year to see for ourselves.  I am also considering Boquete,Panama.
our other issue is the furnatuer cost to take over and if it reaches the destination and if it does what will the extra cost be from port to the home.  we still have 2 years, but I know how fast the days go, it will be here before we realize it.

take care,
Lil

Ok Grady,

This is like a school quiz but I will try to answer all your questions.
Lil, be ready too.

1- Sorry, I don't know much about visas and work. If you have a tourist visa the law says you can't work but the reality is different. Once you get resident permit, that is easy, you can work. I will try to get more info about this.

2- No guns allowed, citizens are not allowed to have guns and, as far as I know, get a permit is real dificult. Hunting is forbiden, fishing is allowed in few places. 

3- That's not happening anymore. Only when they have to repair something. I think in the coast (costa) happends more than in the mountains (sierra).

4- In ecuador we have religious freedom, so there is many churches and the most important is Chatolic.

5- Internet, TV is the same as in USA at least in the big cities like Cuenca, and the cost is OK. There is English channels.

6-You can bring your belongings in a container if you have your paperwork done before move here. If you need more info on this it has to be more specific. Write to my email.

7- In ecuador we have good doctors and very good clinics.
And example I know a lady, 70 years old. She get private health insurance, valid worldwide, for $200 a month with a coverage of $100.000. Sounds good??  And sorry for the miss information but for preconditions you have to pay extra but as far as I know, Nobody is rejected for that.

8- Gas is cheap, we're producers. I think is around $20 to fill the tank.

9- Electric, water, phone bills around $20-$30 a month.

10- No idea about properties on the coast. Properties in Cuenca are cheaper than in Quito or Guayaquil but there is a wide price range due to sector, buildings or houses, etc.

11- The goverment is doink OK so far. Ecuador is a peaceful country and even the ecuadorians removed like 4 presidents in the last 10 years it was no bloodshed.

12- Passports, residency... I don't have the info but you can look in other post.

13- Most of the population is local, there is foreigners, mostly from Colombia and Peru.

Hope this info will be helpful.
If you want more especific info use my email:   
                [email protected]

Regards
Vinny

Vinny:
You are great.
Is the expat community active there.  I would like to have people with whom to meet and discuss issues.
Gene

Hello Gene and welcome to the expats community.

The expat com. in Cuenca,I think, is one of the most active in Ecuador. There is several expatsŽs web pages and blogs in the internet and also they try to meet every week in local restaurants and bars to welcome the new ones and share information.

I plan on visiting Cuenca, Ecuador  and want to know of a good and honest expat tour guide that specializes in showing newcomers all the things they need to know about relocating there.  I want to see the types of long term rentals, know about food, utilities, safety, public transportation, entertainment, restaurants, etc.........All and any info would be helpful  But, I first want a recommendation that would help me set up an entire trip with air, hotel, and the tour itself......I've heard of some expat who does this with his own tour bus.

Thanks......Rick

[email protected]

Hi Rick,

I'm ready to help you. I will send you and email with some info.

Vinny.

I wish to establish email contacts with English speaking expats in Ecuador.  I plan to relocate there in the very near future.  I need input
on different cities and localities.  I do plan on permanent residence and some kind of gainful employment.  I know very little Spanish but want to learn as quickly as possible.  I have interests in photography, cuisine, social contact and touring South America.  A possible touring buddy would be welcomed, male or female.

I just joined this blog and found this one very helpful especially info from Vinny. The one thing I don't see on these web sites is information about playing golf and are there memberships availiable in Cuenca? My wife and I are looking to visit in January and wanted to look at some areas that has a golf course near by. Not really interested in living on the course but would like something within walking distances to shopping, cafes, and places to meet new friends. I know everyone saids it is cheap to live there but adding golf may put a dent in the amount needed. Any information you may have will be greatly appreciated.

Bharris345

There is one only private nine hole course.  I have no info on the membership fee and monthly dues.

Hello to all. My wife and I are coming down to Ecuador in around mid-June of 2012. Reading around the forum here and on other sites is a true blessing. I am interested in making friendships with a few couples with "feet on the ground" there in Ecuador. I know that coming down there with knowing a few people will make life so much more enjoyable for my wife and I. We look forward to coming down there and we are counting down. (And yes, like many people on here, our goal is finding out what we can before getting there as we are looking at Ecuador as one of a number of possible relocation spots upon my finishing college in 2014)

Hello all,

Thanks for all of the helpfull info Vinny. I have been trying to find out about the golf situation and from what I have gathered, there is one 9 hole private course there in Cuenca but you can get on if you know a member for around thirty dollars. I am planning a trip next spring and am looking forward to meeting you all and the opportunity of starting a new life in Ecuador. Thanks again. Jim B.

You welcome Jim,

Just let me know when you're coming and we keep in contact.

Vinny

How safe is it to drive to Cuenca and about how long does it take to drive from Guadalajara to Cuenca, if you have any idea or know anyone who has done it?

Do you mean from Guadalajara, Mexico to Cuenca, Ecuador??

Well, you really need to be ready for a big adventure and be very prepared.

I know some people did that but I don't know how they did it.

As far as I know, if you are going to use your own car, you need especial permission to cross all the borders with it. Where do you get that permission?? I don't know.
Also, the Panamerican road ends in the Darien rainforest, between Panama and Colombia, so the only way to cross is by boat in Panama. Again, I don't know how you can do that.

Good luck.
Vinny

Ed and Vinny...SO HELPFUL!! I'm arriving from Nova Scotia January 10th, will be staying for eight weeks to explore the possibility of retiring there permanently. Would LOVE to meet with each of you (and your partners, of course) while I'm there. THANKS for your valuable input!

I'm in the same boat.  I turn 65 in just over a year, and I plan to visit Cuenca later this year; perhaps November.  I expect to retire somewhere around the summer/fall of 2013 and move from Florida to Cuenca then.
I could use lots of help.  When I come to visit, I'd like to meet up with expats who can give me straight up information on life as a retiree there, a hotel to stay in for my visit in November, as well as a place to stay when I make my permanent move for an extended stay until I can find a long term rental.
I could also use help when I apply for my visa.  I see a lot of people recommend Gabriela Espinosa in Quito for Immigration and getting the right papers once I'm there.

If somebody wants to email me directly, please do so at [email protected]

Thanks

Hello Deborah,

Will be nice to meet you and give you any help you need.

Once you're here you can contact me by mail: [email protected]
or my phone

By the way, did you already book a hotel n Cuenca??

Regards
Vinny

THANKS Vinny...e-mailed you!

(Moderated: No free ads on the forum please. Please register in the Business directory in Cuenca)

¡Buenas tardes a todos!
I am so glad to read everyone's message.  It is very informative.  I am also planning to move and possibly retire to Cuenca in six months or so.  It would be great to meet with all of you.  My wife and I are from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.  We are both learning Spanish and we want to practice the language when we are in Ecuador.
We are welcoming your emails:  [email protected]
Michael & Valerie

Something to consider, just another opinion.

reasons to NOT consider Cuenca

Hi Sebastiandangerfield;  what did you find out about Cuenca, I read that LoHa, Ecuador about 2 hours south of Cuenca was less expensive and appealing.

Is that a Spanish word for "Ey" for our Canadian friends?

HI Vinny,

Could you resend the info about HONEST tour companies that specialize in relocation services? 

Thanks

Rick

vinny66 wrote:

Hi Rick,

I'm ready to help you. I will send you and email with some info.

Vinny.

Hello Rick,

This kind of information was given long time ago.
Now I'm helping expats  with  international and local moving and relocation and I can recommend some people I know who does tourism and know about Cuenca.

If you need info email me: [email protected] and I will be glad to help you.
This forum is not intended for personal business.

Vinny

Geve, be aware that there are very few expats in Loja and very little English is spoken by the locals there. If you are fluent in Spanish and have a pioneering spirit, you may find the city very appealing.

Sorry and "Thanks"

vinny66 wrote:

Hello Rick,

This kind of information was given long time ago.
Now I'm helping expats  with  international and local moving and relocation and I can recommend some people I know who does tourism and know about Cuenca.

If you need info email me: [email protected] and I will be glad to help you.
This forum is not intended for personal business.

Vinny

Vinny..great posts and info. Could you list a few of the places where expats hang out and a reasonable hotel.  We plan to come to Cuenca late this year or early next year for a 3 month tryout. Thanks  Bryan

Vinny...re my post.  If this comes under advertising, could you possibly email the info at [email protected]   Thanks   Bryan