Moving to Greece

Hi, I am from India and I want to move to Greece currently I am doing an15 days HR internship and my current plan is to get a job in Greece but I know that getting a job in Greece is a challenging process also I don't have enough work experience so... so I was wondering if someone could give me some insights or tips on how to secure a job in Greece. Or if someone is already living Greece could give me the insights on what challenges they faced before arriving in Greece and could guide me in this process.

Hello Kellen Barwal,

Welcome !

Feel free to read the Living in Greece Guide as I mentioned on the introduction thread. You may also create your CV in the Jobs in Greece section for better exposure : Jobs in Greece

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 20#5681871

All the best

Bhavna

Available jobs in Greece are, mainly, those of skilled workers and technicians, as well as such in the field of tourism. There are plenty of people available for administrational positions. Although you may find a job relative to your background in HR, competition is harsh, and available local candidates have the advantage of being fluent in the Greek language. If your skills could get you a job in the fields highest in demand, you may start with such and hope to find a better position as you become familiar with the work environment and the language. An alternative is that you place an ad in one (or more) of the local work agencies (e.g. Skywalker) and see what response you can get.

Vasilis

@VasilisC Hi, I don't have any knowledge of skilled workers and technicians and don't have any background in the tourism industry either can I still apply for these positions? Currently, I am learning the Greek language but this is a very hard and difficult language to learn but I love the Greek language and Greek culture so I would keep learning until I master it. I just want the best guidance on how to secure a job in Greece I would love to work in the tourism field but I don't have any prior knowledge or experience in it.

@Bhavna I didn't know this option. Thanks, Would create one ASAP

Applying for a position is free, but you have to consider the odds of getting an actual job. If you detail your skills there may be employers that appreciate these and ask for your CV or/and invite you for a web interview. You lose nothing by trying.

@VasilisC And would they hire a fresher? I mean I don't have a lot of work experience, Although I agree with you that there is no harm in applying and giving interviews but still, why would someone hire a foreigner who doesn't have enough work experience and Not even from a related field? and why would they spend money on him? And probably give travel costs and accommodation?

I am consistently doing research on this because I want to live in Greece and the more I do research the more I find that without enough work experience, my chances of getting the job right now are very less. Although I could get a job if I have a friend in Greece who could give a referral or something but right now I don't have any, so the best step I could think of right now is to get some work experience although I will keep applying and would give interview as you suggested.

Hello Kellen...if you register yourself with...Linkedin......you will see many vacancies for graphic designers,lots of different companies are looking in Greece,lots of vacancies,go on line to Linkedin and follow instructions on how to register yourself with them.You say your Greek is advanced.is it really,not such a problem if you work or are taken on as a trainee if the company is maybe American or British,many Nordic countries in Greece working in English language.

@concertina I am on LinkedIn for a year or two and I can say that Employers on Linkedin post job which requires applicants with Minimum a 1 year of work experience, Even for the trainee position. Right now I really don't know what to do, I am just creating the designs and uploading them on my portfolio because I don't know what else to do, I also applied for a few internships in my home town but I am pretty much sure that the response will be unlikely.

@Kellen Barwal Why not apply to other Greek recruitment agencies which you will find on line,what about following a course here in Greece for graphics,or go in at a very low level of position just to get a foot in the door.

@concertina Ahhh sorry can you explain? I didn't understand properly, If you mean that coming to Greece for education? would not be possible because I am not rich I belong to a middle-class family and no bank would give me an education loan of that amount because I tried earlier and they denied my request. Can you name me some low level positions for which i could apply to get my foot in the door? That would be really helpful, Although I applied for the waiter position in a 5 star hotel on the 12th june but i don't think they would hire me because they require 1 year of experience in that field.

Btw I just want to say that I really appreciate your willingness to help, you are the first person who came to help me that much, I really appreciate it, I would have hugged you if you were in front of me, Thank you so much

@Kellen Barwal Thankyou Kellen,Its just a idea but have you thought of southern Ireland,so many job opportunities,easier to get a visa I think although they have tightened up a bit on entrance things but skills are needed there and lots of companies have moved in,just avoid Dublin,way too expensive generally,some newbies are working and having to sleep rough due to insane rents but other towns are worth looking at.Dont give up ever,something will come along for you.

@concertina Thank you, Would definitely try to apply to Ireland although My ultimate goal is to live In Greece but I think your advice is good it is better to do something at least.

@Kellen Barwal Your ultimate goal will have to be dropped I guess,much too difficult for you to find work here,best to stay in your own country where as you say you are a graphic designer.