Formalities to bring your pet in Australia

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Australia?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Australia?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Australia?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

We recently went through this as we brought our 2 pugs from the US to Australia. It is a very complicated process that takes more than 6 months from start to finish coming from most everywhere except NZ.  The best way to learn about what needs to be done to prepare your animals for import, about the importing process and about quarantine stay is: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis  The people at AQUIS are extremely helpful.  You must also have a good vet on the other end as well as there are many vaccines, blood draws and a great deal of paperwork to be completed.  We hired a transport company in WA State, USA to help with some of the details and the actual transport.  Once here, our dogs were required to stay in quarantine for 30 days.  30 days is the absolute minimum stay, but the animal's stay can be longer depending on their vaccine and blood-testing schedule.  My advice-- READ EVERYTHING FROM AQUIS THOROUGHLY and ask questions. You do not want one little thing to blow the whole plan for transport!  Timing is everything.  Regarding which pets you can bring- it is my understanding that you can only bring in dogs and cats and horses- no reptiles or birds allowed!  Last thing- my dogs were at Eastern Creek Quarantine station for 30 days and the care was AMAZING! I have two high needs dogs and they bent over backwards to help.  I am happy to answer any questions anyone might have regarding this topic!

Thank you for this useful information! :)