Residency process

I have started my residency process and have acquired my student visa. I have a DPI and am in the middle of getting my residency. I cannot get my lawyer to respond and my student visa expired the 4th of April. Do I need to start all over because my student visa expired?  I have been back to the U.S. in March so my tourist visa is good currently. I own a house and have three bank accounts. I have been here for three years.  I would like to get my residency asap. Any info appreciated. - Gary

@yofatboy if your paperwork was submitted but you do not yet have a final determination, you need to get permission to leave the country. Once you have residency you have to get a certificate of proof of residency to return if you leave the country, your DPI is not enough. I use Licenciada Aura Valdez who's office is located in the back of the parking lot between migracion and Cemaco, I've found her to be very responsive and helpful. They don't let you post phone numbers here so PM me if you want her number.

I don't think you need to start over though. Mine was stalled for years from the pandemic and I was able to restart it without issue, just had to get new copies of some documents.

Geekscum,

Thank you for the response. Looks like I will have to return to the U.S. to get another FBI report that has to be apostilled. Looking into if I can get fingerprints done somewhere in Guatemala City then send them through Guatex or ? and have them returned to the Guatemalan or American embassy. I don't think there is a way I can get through this without another trip back. When I went through this a year plus ago the covid rules were messing with everything. Hopefully that has eased. Thanks again for the info.

@yofatboy Did your attorney tell you you needed an FBI report? I just got my antecedentes done here in guatemala. Might be different circumstances but you have me wondering now.